Dish 500 Set Up for SkyAngel

Seadawg39

Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
This post may seem like a recurring bad dream but I have two questions as I continue to unsuccessfully receive a signal for SA.
Pointing to 61.5....is that a physical setting at the dish or simply a push of the remote and setting it on the Dish receiver?
I read in the forum someone say that the only way to receive on 61.5 is with an adaptor? True or False. Thanks for any help.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys... 61.5 is the orbital location of the Satellite. If you have a receiver going and hooked up to the dish go into your dish pointing screen. Menu>System setup>Point Dish, when you get there input 61.5 and your zipcode... that will give you the compass azimuth for where you live. For just sky angel all you need is the receiver and the dish with lnb attached along with the RG6 coax to connect...

We have done that. When we checked Dish 500 on the screen for set up, all of the pointing angles came up "N/A". Skyangel gave us the coordinates over the phone and all seems set correctly on the dish according to the info they gave us (146 SE, 90 skew and 52 elevation) but we get a constant red. When we test here are the results on the screen.
LNB's: DP-Twin-1
Satelite: 1 conn 2 conn
Polarity: 1 and 2 are "x"ed out
Device: 1 Twin 2 Twin

When I choose Details from the menu after the test it reads:
Switch Installation Details:
LNB Status: Direct Connect to a DP-Twin
DP Twin-1 Good Connection, No Signal

One post said to check the cable to be sure it was good. Our cable looks to be in great shape in spite of 3 hurricanes. It is coming from the 119 side of the twin. Do the test results verify that the cable is fine? If not, other than obvious damage like my dog chewing through it, how can I determine if the cable is good?

Thanks

welcome :wave
until you get a signal, the switch test really does nothing. The numbers they gave you are normally for a Dish 300, which is usually aimed at one satellite spot. So the azimuth might be a little off. But the other numbers should be fine

Use the 119 side to aim. The best thing to do is cover the 110 side (the right side of the LNB) with tin foil so you aim at the right spot :)

Go into the system setup of the receiver (menu 6-1-1)
select 61.5 and move the transponder to 25 or 32. These are the two transponders that Sky Angel uses

You might want to run a temporary line to aim the dish.

Once the bar turns green, fine tune it (peak the dish)
then run check switch :)

Also make sure the pole the dish is mounted on is perfectly plumb (straight up and down). If it leans one way or another just a little, it will throw your aim off.

The Dish 500 setting on the point dish screen is strictly for aiming the dish at110°/119°.

Good luck!

Tony

The only problem I can think of is, you are still not get the satellite yet. IF you are using the single dish and nothing for 110/119, then no adapter is need.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)