Dish 500+ Setup

JB884

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
As I mentioned in a previous thread, I am going to be installing a Dish 500+ with a VIP 222 receiver. I will be using a DPP33 switch. I will hookup the 3 cables to the switch as indicated in the manual and then run one cable to a DPP separator so both tuners can be used in the receiver.

I plan on using the signal strength screen in the receiver to align the dish. The manual suggests aligning the 119 satellite first, can someone tell me a proper transponder I can use to check the signal strength as I am aligning the dish? Also, should I be able to check the signal strengths on 110 and 118.7 as well from this screen or do I need to run the check switch first?

For anyone who has done self-installs before, do you think I would get any benefit from using one of the cheap analog signal meters, or should the signal pointing screen be sufficient? I do have experience with installing FTA Ku and C-band dishes and the older DirecTV dishes.

Thanks,
JB

Just enter your zip at the point dish screen to get elevation skew and azimuth.

Then just peak out 119 the rest should just fall in place

Transponder 14 is a good one to point by since it is one of the weaker ones. Couldn't tell you what is average signal though without a location

So I will be able to view signal strength on 119 right off the bat without having to run a check switch? The reason I ask is because obviously the check switch will not work if I am not aligned properly at first. I will need to view the strength of 119 to get that locked first.

Thanks,
JB

OK, got my VIP222K in the mail yesterday and hooked it up to check out the menus (no dish yet.) The point dish screen comes up and I can enter my zip code for pointing parameters and select my configuration. How come the options are Dish 300, 500 and Superdish? I do not see any option for Dish 500+ or 1000+ or even the eastern and western arc dishes. Is this just because the receiver needs to do a download or something? Should I still be able to aim the dish by looking for a signal on 119?

Thanks,
JB

you could use the SD one or 500. Just get the 14th transponder as highas you can and the rest will good to go. My question is why the 500+ you need international channels?

Thanks for the info. I will try to peak the dish on 119 using transponder 14.

Using a 500+ because I want to subscribe to the RTN (horse racing) channels that are on 118.7.

JB

I read another post where someone is setting up a 1000.2 dish and they don't have the option to select that configuration in a 211k receiver.

Just wondering how come Dish doesn't have those configurations in the setup menu? Seems like the 1000.2/4 and 1000/500+ are the most common dishes now and they aren't even in the receiver for the initial setup?

Do those configurations show up after you download updates?

JB

I read another post where someone is setting up a 1000.2 dish and they don't have the option to select that configuration in a 211k receiver.

Just wondering how come Dish doesn't have those configurations in the setup menu? Seems like the 1000.2/4 and 1000/500+ are the most common dishes now and they aren't even in the receiver for the initial setup?

Do those configurations show up after you download updates?

JB

Those dish options will not show up, even after doing a download. The older dishes really didn't take much expertise to align, outside of a couple of walkie-talkies, a tv turned up real loud, or basic signal meter. Maybe they feel that if you need to access pointing options like that from the tv, you might not be skilled enough to point the current generation of dishes. Also, with the D33 switch, you'll need to run a check switch first to recognize your sats. You won't be able to find your signal going through the switch first. Just bypass your switch initially and have the cable running from the lnb directly to the rcvr in order to find 119. Once you've done that, then place your D33 switch back in-line and run another check switch.

Well thanks for the info about the switch. I figured I might have to bypass the switch to initially get a signal on 119. I asked about this previously and was told that I could hook everything up to the switch first and still get a signal but apparently that is not the case.

JB

For those who have done installs, do you find the elevation/azimuth numbers from the Dish Network Manuals to be more accurate than from dishpointer.com?

The reason I ask is, on dishpointer.com selecting a Dish500+ dish the elevation they give me is a litter over 2 degrees higher and the azimuth is about 4 degrees different than what
the installation manual for the Dish 500+ states.

When you point the 119, it is the port that says 2D (DBS satellite) the port saying 1F is the 118.7 and should go on the last input on your switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)