Dish 500 system will not see SW21

Interesting development. Got up first thing this morning and decided to run a temp cable from 508 to sw21. It recognized it and it all worked! I thought I'd try cable already in place once more to make sure I wasn't having a brain fart. It didn't work so I switched back to temp cable. Then IT wouldnt see the sw21! Grrrrr. Now it has been raining lightly the whole time. Could a little moisture affect it? I hooked it up to one LNB and brought the switch in to dry out. I'll try again later when everything is dry. Comments?

Tried it again with everything dried out. Maybe the new switch is bad. :-( lots of people are recommending a new LNB with the switch built in. Maybe I will go that route. The problem is that the house is hours away and I do t get there that often. I just hate to go through another iteration of guessing whe. It could be the receiver itself. May I had better try to replace both. What receiver should I get to replace the 508 if I dont want a DVR but want it to be compatible with the new technology?

Let me ask one question: if the 508 has problems with the switch because it can't send a certain freq signal any more will it still not work if I replace my Dish 500 LNBs with a unit that has the switch built in (so I don't need the sw21)?

I've been reading up on DiSEqC and it appears that it too uses a 22kHz tone generator, but in bursts with digital data encoded thereon. (I suspect my memory of 19kHz for legacy equipment is wrong.) So... I think it's a long shot to suppose that a new DPP twin would magically fix a problem in the receiver. It most certainly would fix a problem with two bad SW21s since you could no longer use them.

If I were you, I'd replace the SW21 and legacy dual LNBs with a single DPP twin. Then you're ready for your 512 if it turns out that the 508 went bad. I strongly recommend going for the free upgrade to a 512. You can't beat free.

TheKrell said:
I've been reading up on DiSEqC and it appears that it too uses a 22kHz tone generator, but in bursts with digital data encoded thereon. (I suspect my memory of 19kHz for legacy equipment is wrong.) So... I think it's a long shot to suppose that a new DPP twin would magically fix a problem in the receiver. It most certainly would fix a problem with two bad SW21s since you could no longer use them.

If I were you, I'd replace the SW21 and legacy dual LNBs with a single DPP twin. Then you're ready for your 512 if it turns out that the 508 went bad. I strongly recommend going for the free upgrade to a 512. You can't beat free.

That sounds like a pretty good plan. Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll see if I can find a twin on eBay. It'll mount right up to my existing Dish 500, eh?

Looking at DPP Twins on eBay. I see 2 ports plus a line in. Is the line in only for an extra dish (like if I was pointing to 129 or whatever that other sat is)? This means that I go from the port on the twin directly to the receiver right? Just making sure. Haven't installed a Dish in years. All the stuff at my house was done professionally.

Correct. A DPP twin has two outputs (which could feed two dual-tuner receivers), and one input port. You cable up your 508 directly to one of the output ports, do a Check Switch, and you're done. If you get a 512 or any other Dish dual tuner receiver, then you go direct from the DPP twin via a single cable to a separator (comes with duo receivers) and from there through two stubby coaxial cables to the two tuner inputs.

The input port is used for a wing dish, usually for 129, but it could be used for any other sat that you don't already get with a twin, e.g. 118.5 or something from EA. If you do use the input port for a wing dish, the only thing it will accept is a DishPro (bandstacked) LNB, not the legacy duals that you have now! You can't mix legacy switches and LNBs with DishPro equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts