Dish 500 Twin and 942

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bcostley

Original poster
Aug 8, 2005
Kentucky
I apologize for asking questions that I am sure have been asked previously. I just can't seem to find the answers...at least not in a form that make sense to me.

Current equipment consists of a Dish 500 Twin that appears to be looking at satellites 110 and 119. One cable goes from the dish to a 501. The other cable goes from the dish to a model 811. My goal is to replace the 501 with a 942, as I've ordered a new HDTV for the bedroom. The 811 stays right where it is, connected to a big screen HDTV. I don't want to get fancy, just take out the 501 and put a 942 in it's place. What is the easiest way to accomplish this?

This isn't normally the type of project I would do myself, but Dish customer service is almost impossible to deal with. Ninety percent of the time, I can't even get a person whose first (or second, or third) language is English. It's difficult to communicate, compounded by the fact that some of this stuff is really difficult for some of us to understand. I also found that the same question would elicit different (and conflicting) answers from different reps.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help.

Replace both receivers with the 942, get a DPP Twin and separator, and a rated diplexor, someone on here like Simple Simon ie, some others might as well have a diagram, now you have HD DVR and standard DVR from 1 unit

Actually, Dish Dude is half right...since you're replacing the 501 with a 942, you only have to get a DP+ Twin, to replace the DP Twin, and THEN use the DP Separator that is shipped with the 942.

I don't have a the wiring diagram either, but the Separator allows tuner 1 and 2 to receive signal from the dish. You may have to buy two short coax "jumpers" to run from the Separator to each tuner input. The beauty of having a 942 running on one television is that you can record one show and watch another at the same time. Just remember to keep the 942 in single mode, NOT dual mode

could i use a dp+ twin and connect 61.5 to it to get all three sats? Isnt there a lnb that lets you combine another dish to it and get two outputs for a 942 and a 510?

Maybe not, but im sick of the dp34 problems i keep having.

Side note: Is there a way to test lnbs?

Jon

Yeah i ordered a dpp twin on ebay. ill post the results when i know if it gets rid of the problems with the signal losses.

Thanks,

Jon

webbydude said:
Actually, Dish Dude is half right...since you're replacing the 501 with a 942, you only have to get a DP+ Twin, to replace the DP Twin, and THEN use the DP Separator that is shipped with the 942.

Ah, yes. This is exactly the piece of information I was looking for. Thank you very much. All the "stuff" is on order, and should arrive by the end of the week. I would have made this way too complex without knowledgeable help.

The 942 came today. It includes all kinds of cables, including the two, short cables that go from the DP Separator to the receiver inputs. Now I'm anxious for the TV and the DP+ Twin to arrive.

sorry sometimes you read really quick and end up not answering exactly, have fun, it is a very nice receiver

Dish Dude said:
sorry sometimes you read really quick and end up not answering exactly, have fun, it is a very nice receiver

Don't apologize. Those of you who understand this stuff sometimes tend to lose sight of the fact that there are a lot of us ignorant types out here. Your willingness to help is greatly appreciated. I find it ironic that DISH is taking money from me every month and is unwilling to help...yet I can get really good help from someone who doens't expect to profit from it in any way. What does that tell you about our society, both good and bad? Maybe I'm just getting old, but the trend of declining corporate morality (and that's being very, very polite) really bothers me. And it doesn't seem to be confined to any particular industry.

Dish500 Quad with this setup

I have a very similar question. I just have replaced a Dish PVR 501 with a 942.
I have a Quad LNBF.

Do i just need to use the separator and connect to Sat 2 on the rear of the receiver or do i need some sort of switch too ? Bad i have 2 other single tuner receivers connected.

My problem is that my timers keep trying to use SAT 2 and i have no cable connected, so all the timers seem to get dropped.

Anyway any help would be much appreciated.

You need that 2nd tuner hooked up, run another line to the Quad. You can't use the DP Separator because you don't have a DishPro Plus switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)