Dish 500 upgrading to HD

gmcduffie

Original poster
Aug 9, 2010
Orlando
I upgraded to HD from 500, I also have a camper that I use and have portable dish 500,
Can I use the old dish 500 with the new HD receiver.

You can, depending on the rec and LNB but you will lose most of the HD channels and possibly your locals depending where you camp

Hi, there are quite a few options on how you might use the Dish 500. If you have the Dish Pro single LNB you could set up on 129W and get almost all of the HD. I think the only HD that I have run across that's not on 129 is ESPN. ESPN HD is on 110 and the SD is on 119.

If you have the dual DPPlus then you could use it as it was originally designed for the pair at 110/119 but you would be missing most of the HD.

By changing the skew and re-aiming you should be able to receive 119 and 129 provided you have LOS. That would get almost all the HD and you could still get SD ESPN.

You could also change the skew and re-point to 61.5 and 72.7 and get all of the HD if you have something blocking the view to the S.W. but have a clear spot to the S.E.

Hope this helps, DC

I upgraded to HD from 500, I also have a camper that I use and have portable dish 500,
Can I use the old dish 500 with the new HD receiver.

Just get on ebay or something and purchase a 1000.2 kit, or find another 500Dish and a single LNB..run it into your 500 if it has a DPP Twin LNB and feed it to 129 since that's where the majority of HD's are vs 61.5.

You could also change the skew and re-point to 61.5 and 72.7 and get all of the HD if you have something blocking the view to the S.W. but have a clear spot to the S.E.

Hope this helps, DC

Do you know what signal levels you would get using the 500 pointing to 61.5 and 72.7? I was wondering if the 2 degrees spacing difference would matter to a great extent.

Do you know what signal levels you would get using the 500 pointing to 61.5 and 72.7? I was wondering if the 2 degrees spacing difference would matter to a great extent.

Hi, it's been a while since I played around with the Dish 500 on 61.5 and 72.7 but the best I can remember is after you split the signals between the two satellites you should come up to about 5 points less on each satellite over what you could get by fully peaking on just one. The signal quality will be down a little but still more then enough to get a solid lock. You would see more rain fade with this setup but it will work most of the time just fine. On another note you could peak more on one satellite then the other if more of the channels you want are on that satellite - for example, peak on 61.5 and take whatever you get on 72.7 that would give you maximum signal on the most watched channels. This would give you less rain fade on the channels you want the most.

Hope this helps, DC

Hi, it's been a while since I played around with the Dish 500 on 61.5 and 72.7 but the best I can remember is after you split the signals between the two satellites you should come up to about 5 points less on each satellite over what you could get by fully peaking on just one. The signal quality will be down a little but still more then enough to get a solid lock. You would see more rain fade with this setup but it will work most of the time just fine. On another note you could peak more on one satellite then the other if more of the channels you want are on that satellite - for example, peak on 61.5 and take whatever you get on 72.7 that would give you maximum signal on the most watched channels. This would give you less rain fade on the channels you want the most.

Hope this helps, DC

Thanks for info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)