Dish 500 w/ HD reciever problems

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

broknindarkagain

Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Hey guys,

I'm having a little bit of trouble with my dish. I've moved to a new house that already has a Dish500 mounted to the side of the house (facing SouthWest). I'm just north of Atlanta (Canton, GA 30114).

Yesterday I wired everything in and I'm picking up all of the channels I should, except my HD channels. It appears that HD movie channels are there, but anything like DiscoveryHD, HisotryHD, etc are missing.

It appears that I'm picking up satellite 110 and 119. Someone had advised me that I need to pick up 129 as well in order to get my HD channels.

Can someone point me in the right direction of how I can do this?

Thank you for any help you can provide

Call Dish. They'll likely do it for free. You'll get a 1000.2 or 1000.4 dish.

To get everything, you need to be on Western Arc (110/119/129) or Easter Arc (61.5/72/77). Which one usually depends upon which satellite sends out your locals. Sometimes, locals can be sacrificed if there are line of sight issues.

Atlanta locals are on sat 61.5, which puts you in the Eastern Arc and requires the 1000.4 Dish. Eastern arc orientation is to the South East, as opposed to the SW, which your current dish is pointed. Hopefully, you have clear line of site.

Thanks for the answers

Dish will not do it for free, thats why I'm trying to do it myself.

I assume the reason I'm pointed to the west is because there is not a clear line of site to the SE of my house (large trees and a big hill) I really don't care about my local channels because I can pick those up via antenna. I just want to get my HD working like it should be.

How can I pick up 129 as well on the west?

Thanks for the answers

Dish will not do it for free, thats why I'm trying to do it myself.

I assume the reason I'm pointed to the west is because there is not a clear line of site to the SE of my house (large trees and a big hill) I really don't care about my local channels because I can pick those up via antenna. I just want to get my HD working like it should be.

How can I pick up 129 as well on the west?
You can install a larger dish for 129 only on a pole or high on the roof where you can get a clear line of sight.

You can install a larger dish for 129 only on a pole or high on the roof where you can get a clear line of sight.

There would be no need for a larger dish. Another 500 would suffice, and also in the same vicinity as his present dish if applicable, building-wise. He already has LOS to the SW. The "cleanest" option would just be one dish, the 1000.2.

I have a clear line of sight to the SW, and thats where I'm pointed.

If I'm understanding correctly, I'll have to run a second 500 dish....or a 1000.2 in order to get my HD?

Is there a cap on two locks on the 500 or something?

Is there a cap on two locks on the 500 or something?
If I understand your question, the answer is "Yes". The more satellites you want to pick up with a single dish, the larger it needs to be to maintain SS on the ones that are off center.

Atlanta locals are on sat 61.5, which puts you in the Eastern Arc and requires the 1000.4 Dish. Eastern arc orientation is to the South East, as opposed to the SW, which your current dish is pointed. Hopefully, you have clear line of site.
Atlanta locals are on BOTH arcs so the OP would not lose his locals by going with a western arc setup.
SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - Dish Network Atlanta, GA

Here is a little more info.

Under the menu of my reciever, I go into system setup / installation / point dish

Dish System : 500
Transponder : 10
Satellite : 119

flipping through the sattelite options, 110 has a 68 signal strength. 119 has 56, and 129 nothing unless I switch to transponder 9, then it has 57 signal strength.

If I go into the "Check Switch" I show 3 ports. port 1 is 199 saying OK and device = twin. Port 2 is the same but for 110. Port 3 shows an x under Satellite and trans, and shows N.C. under device.

I've seen "DPP Twin" under device settings....I don't know if this means anything.

I guess I might need to run a second dish on top of what I already have in order to get my HD....or upgrade the dish its self. There is also a Direct TV dish outside on the roof. Am I able to wire that into the "LNB IN" on my Dish Network dish in order to get my HD stuff?

I'm sorry about all the noob questions. I'm trying to be able to do this on my own as a learning experience.

No you could not use that direct tv dish, but you could use the mounting location to put up a second dish with one lnb pointing at 129* to get your HD. You could snag your old dish from your old place if it's still available.

Dish and DirecTV use different enough technologoes that you will need a Dish network lnb for 129.

I saw a guy selling an old Dish 811 (MPEG2 HD receiver) on eBay saying it would work on DirecTV - I hope no one bought one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts