Dish 500 wiring /setup HELP!

millsjr

Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
I some quick help on a temporary setup for a tailgate party for this Saturday.

Here are the basics:

I have a Dish 500 dish with 2 separate Legacy LNB's. One lnb has one cable connection and the other has 2 cable connections. I was given this dish by someone who took it off their house recently so I do not know how it was originally hook up.
Currently there is just one RG6 line coming off of one port on each of the lnb's.

I will be hooking this up to a 622.

What switch do I need to make this work. I would like to hook up both tuners.
I need to act fast because I am going to have to find a switch by tommorrow.

Thanks, John

Let me throw another wrench into the puzzle.

Can I hook up the 2 tuners of the 622 to different satellites?

I also have a Dish 300 with a single legacy lnb. Here is what I am thinking. Can I use the 300 to hit the 61.5 and feed it straight into one of the 622 tuners and then, with the proper switch (SW21?) combine the 110 and 119 from the 500 and feed it to the other tuner of the 622.

Keep in mind this is a temporary setup for a tailgate so it doesn't really matter if all channels are available on both tuners.

Will this work? and is a sw21 all I need?

Thanks, John

Just get a DPP Twin for the D500 and run a single cable to the 622 with a DP separator. It will give you 119 and 110 on a single cable. If you want 61.5, just use the D300 with a DP Dual and run a cable from the D300 to the DPP Twin and then you'll get the 3 satellites on a single cable.

http://rweb.echostar.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/images/tech/dpp_02.jpg

In other words, just forget about Legacy.

RandallA,

Thanks for the reply, but I think your setup will cost alot more than I have to spend. I am looking for the cheapest down and dirty way to do this, just for this Saturday at a tailgate. I am not looking to upgrade anything I just want it to work for the day.

Does anyone know if what I have suggested will work or not? and is the SW21 all I need?

Thanks, John

Well, you're gonna need 2 SW21s since the 622 has two tuners. You'll need one cable from each SW21. You combine both Dual Legacy LNBs with the SW21 and that will give you 119 and 110 on both tuners.

http://rweb.echostar.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/images/tech/500d_21.gif

According to your description, I'm assuming that you have 2 Dual Legacy LNBs not a Legacy Twin.

One more thing, where are you buying the extra switches? Because it takes some time to ship the equipment and you won't get it by tomorrow.

"I also have a Dish 300 with a single legacy lnb. Here is what I am thinking. Can I use the 300 to hit the 61.5 and feed it straight into one of the 622 tuners and then, with the proper switch (SW21?) combine the 110 and 119 from the 500 and feed it to the other tuner of the 622."

This will work if you had a Twin Legacy LNB but it will give you only one tuner. You need two tuners for the 622.

RandallA,

Thanks again but as I originally posted one of the legacy lnb's has only one output. It sounds like the sw21 is what I need from what you are saying to feed 110 and 119 to one of the 622 tuners.

Can I feed the other 622 turner with a completely different sat. location(61.5 or129) with the dish 300 and be ok?

Thanks for your help, John

"Can I feed the other 622 turner with a completely different sat. location(61.5 or129) with the dish 300 and be ok?"

No, that won't work. You need to buy more equipment to make it work and that's why I recommended the Dish Pro Plus Twin. You'll probably end up paying a little more but it will simplify your setup.

You cant hookup both tuners on your 622 with the equipment you have now. The cheapest route would indeed be to just get a DPP twin. You can get them for $15-20 on ebay. Thats a lot less work and probually less money to go this route then play with legacy equipment which would need 2 lines run to the 622.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts