Dish 500 with a dp34 switch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

danwolf101

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Will a dish 500 with the usual 110 and 119 satellites work with a DP34 switch.I am trying an experiment with the super dish 500 and the 500 dish?I am wondering if I tune in a dish 500 and use it for the 110 119 satelites,and use the superdish 500 for 105 locals will this weird setup cut down on rain fade.I hooked up the 500 dish accoding to the menu settings and I got a weird BELL ATLANTIC SATELLITE.I must say the signal was very strong around 90 to 100.I tryed for a while fishing around for 110 and 119 but no luck.My new Career will not be as a installer.

I believe the only thing you had right was "your new career will not be an installer.":) :) :) :)

On the serious side.... I'll try and assume what you have, and provide some possibilities.

"Will a dish 500 with the usual 110 and 119 satellites work with a DP34 switch." Yes, provided the LNBF's are not legacy.

It sounds like you have a "SuperDish 105" with a "DP34 switch", connected to a DishPro receiver. (If you have a legacy receiver, then there is a "DP Adaptor" connected between the receiver and the DP34 which will need to remain when making the below changes.

I'll assume this setup is working, but you have rainfade on one or more of the 3 satellites. Therefore, you would like to peak the SuperDish 105 for satellite 105, and use a Dish 500 and peak it for 119 and 110.

I would ensure the DP34 is connected as follows; 119 on Port 1, 110 on Port 2, and 105 on Port 3, and the system is working.

Before you continue....
The DP34 switch will only work with DishPro, DishPro Plus, and SuperDish LNBF's. Therefore, make sure the 2 LNBF's or the 1 Twin LNBF on the Dish 500 has a black DP on the back. If it does not, you will need to go and buy either 2 DishPro Dual LNBF's, or 1 DishPro Twin LNBF to use the Dish 500.

Now that you have the Dish 500 (with DishPro LNBF) connected to the DP34 switch, set the skew and elevation on the Dish 500 for your location. Then peak the azimuth, and then peak the elevation again, for both the 119 and 110 satellites.

Then peak the SuperDish 105 to receive satellite 105. Since it is working, you should only need to peak the elevation and azimuth for the strongest signal on 105. However, if this does not provide an acceptable signal on 105, and you do not intend to go back using it for 119/110; then you could adjust the skew to 90 (which = +/- 0 degrees), and then peak the elevation and azimuth for the best signal.

EDIT: If you need some more info, how about your ZIP CODE and Receiver MODEL(s). Dish has moved some locals off of 121, but I don't know if they had moved any off of 105. If they did, then you may not need 105, and could just peak the SuperDish 105 to receive 119 and 110; or replace it completely with the Dish 500.

Last edited:
my experiments with a dish500 vs a 105 superdish, the dish500 was always 5 or more points below the superdish in signal quality. YMMV.

You didn't say where you are located, there are very few locals markets still using 105. Try disconnecting 105 completely and see if you still get all your channels. If so, you can just peak the SD for 119 and 110 and forget 105.

I am located in the Savannah Ga market.I have the super dish 500 which the installer installed.I get good reading for 110 and 119.110 around 105-110,119 with a signal of 100-108,105 with a signal of 75-80.Anyway wish me luck with this weekend project.But first I must cut the grass first.Dish second.

I just did the very same thing a few weeks ago with no problem. As long as the LNB on your 500 is Dish Pro, you're good to go. However, now I kinda miss my SuperDish. The rain fade is a bit worse with the 500 and I can't peak TP's on the 110 slot much above 70-80, while everything on 119 is high 80's to low 90's. I can see more clearly with the 500 that a tree in the neighbor's yard is obstructing more than I thought.

Yeah, I know I can hook the SD back up and just ignore the 105 LNB. But with all the mad scientists on this board, let me ask this: Has anyone transplanted a DP Twin onto a SuperDish arm to make a Super500? I hate that shroud system on the 105-110-119 LNB array, and really wanted to steal the 119 outrigger for another wing dish.

sigmtr

I guess Danwolf101 needs 105 for the locals and will play this weekend.

Sigmtr - I believe I would do like Oljim said - forget 105 and repeak. But if you want to join the mad scientists, then....

I have a SuperDish 121 which has a DP Dual LNBF on the west side for 110 mounted in the same fashion as on other dishes. The SuperDish 105 has a DP Dual LNBF on the east side for 119, but I've never seen a SD-105 up close, but maybe the bracket for the 119 and 110 LNBF will take a DP Twin LNBF. I kind of doubt it, thinking they would have used that to begin with.

If you take the shroud apart, be carefuly, the plastic tips on the inside to interlock the shroud break easy.

Also, I bet you could put a DP Twin LNBF in place of the 119 LNBF and pick up 119 and 129. But I don't know if the bracket will hold the weight of the twin with only one side mounted.

Last edited:
Shroud? What shroud?

oh yeah, those plastic pieces sitting in my shed. :)

The two LNBFs in the Twin are closer together, designed for the smaller dish size, than the spacing of those mounted on the SuperDish. You might get it to work, at the expense of some signal as you would effectively have two LNBFs around 4-6 degrees apart instead of 9.

"I hooked up the 500 dish accoding to the menu settings and I got a weird BELL ATLANTIC SATELLITE"

My guess is that you were picking up a Bell ExpressVu Satellite which is a Canadian satellite service, whom e* sells equipment to. Your elevation was probably too low and your azimuth was off.

jame1970 said:
I have dish 500, I just received only 119 but not 110, please adivce.
Welcome :wave
There's not enough info here. Your view of 110 might be obstructed, or you might have the dish pointed too far West, or you might have hardware or cabling problems. If you just had Dish installed, call the people back to fix it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)