Dish 522 and DSL Phone Line Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

drizler

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
I have had a dish 522 for a couple years plugged into one of my phone lines. At the time I had a 56K dialup with separate line. A few months ago I switched over to same companies DSL phone connection and dropped the second line. To accomodate the 522 having to be plugged in constantly I maintained the same line to the reciever as previously. Its only difference over the previous is that the same number is now a DSL connection. Since doing this , frequently but not all the time whenever I turn the 522 on I get the "aviod $5 fee keep plugged in" warning banner. What is the deal with this? I have run it with and without the plug in dsl phone filter installed, hooked it up backwards ect and the effect is the same. I have heard that many devices " don't play well together" with a dsl line and all the switching going on ect. Also it doesn't seem to matter whether the reciever, phone or internet or any combination is running. I do shut down the 522 whenever not in use for what its worth and the banner only appears immediately when its turned on. I be confused!!!!!:confused:

sounds as if your phone jack in the 522 is going bad, you can test this by making sure the jack your hooking into is good first by testing it with a phone first. After making sure that works, hook the same line to the back of the 522 and run a phone test by using the diagnostics in the dish menu. If the test fails then its the jack in the receiver. Test it a couple times in a row and see if it passes then fails or just fails all together.

Woops I forgot to say I did the el cheapo standard phone plug in check. I keep a $10 phone stashed just for checking lines as we get hit by ightning here a lot. Yea it all works as does my dsl and portable phones which all share the same connection. Its the same phone line wire and connectors that were there before the DSL and I noticed the problem the first time I turned the 522 back on after hooking it all up. I thought it was because I hadn't used the filters they gave me to hook to the phones but that didn't check out either. Seems like a dsl issue to me but I haven't had it long enough to get very educated on the quirks ect.

Yes and No

I guess I do as the phone line outlet plug has a short wire which leads into the dsl filter. ll it looks like is a 1 into 2 plug. From one outlet on the filter I have the line running to the computer modem, thats marked dsl line I think. The other one I run to the 522. I think I tried it both ways reversed as well as with and without a filter using a splitter in its place. Do you think it would help adding another filter at the end where it goes into the 522? Like I said I am new to dsl and my lines seem to work as well with or without the filters installed otherwise.

you just need 1 filter at any phone/fax/computer/satellite receiver, whatever is plugged into a phone jack.
here is what i would do....
plug a phone onto that wire and make sure you get a dialtone... just to make sure the line is all working properly.
then hook the line up to the receiver.
then on the 522 go to "menu" "6" "3" and run the "connection" test... that will tell you if the jack in the receiver is working... if it fails the test call dish and tell them the jack is bad on the receiver. if it is a leased receiver, they should fix it

Sorry To Take So Long Getting Back

I doubt it is the jack in the receiver. The problem started the day I set up our DSL line. Otherwise the 522 is on the same line going to the same plug it was on before. The only difference is that I now have it split for sharing with the computer modem. I did however unhook the dsl line and the filter and try it that way with and without the filter connected. The filter is plugged into the phone jack while the tele side goes to the 522 and the computer end to the dsl modem. I didn't try the self diagnostic test in that mode so I will today and then finally call the Dish Tec line. Thanks for the suggestions.

I wired in a "home run" for my dsl, and have no problems. I wish the phone company would do this, but I guess it does save them money. I found the DSL box on the internet, was about $25 -$30 and it is wired to your existing demarc box, and the one terminal feeds is filtered and feeds your phones, and the other terminal is for your DSL. No need for those cheapo filters at each phone. I then ran cat5 to the dsl jack and have never had any problems. KNOCK ON WOOD!

DSL Filter

I had this same problem when my 522 was installed, and it turned out the filter was bad. Once you've done everything else suggested here, give another filter a shot and test the connection again.

I just tried switching out the filter and tested the unit. Nothing, no connection though the computer works fine. If I didn't have it working fine for well over a year then immediately stop when the dsl was hooked up I would think it was the unit. Of course this is the first time I have had dsl. The phone co gave me a modem and 3 filters and that was the entire install other than enabling the computer. Previously we had 2 phone lines and of course they shut down the other one as I requested. From the first day I have had noise in the lines especially loud till the connection is made to the other number called where it immediately subsides. We do get our phone lines burned out regularly locally by lightning and I had to have them fix the line by the road twice in the last 2 summers. I guess I am going to have to break down and have the phone company run a diagnostic next week then call dish if I can't get it resolved.

Further to add:

I install Dish and I was on the phone with tech support three times today to get a 622 and a 322 working correctly.

1. Sometimes, due to frequncy strength TWO filters are needed end to end at the dish receiver.

2. There is a known problem with 322's (and now at least one 622, 522??) when the two filters are installed the receiver still won't recognize a dial tone, and at the same time ALL other phone jacks in the house will not work. The receiver seizes the line!! This is a bad receiver!!! We got a RA for a brand new 622.

fred

Thats worth a try for sure

I got the phone company repair guy to stop by and test all the possible places where there could be a screwup with his test gear. Nothing. Everything is fine. I will give that a try as soon as I can find another filter and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the very hopeful info. :hungry:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts