Dish 522 Problems

sbrinck

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
Recently my 522 DVR vaporized like 50 hrs of programming ??
Also all recording timers.
I have since usrd the unit and it seems to function normally
All recently deleted shows are in the deleted menu but none of the missing programming !!
To make matters worse a good % of these were Payper view .
I have had hard drives on my PC crash but nothing as freakly as this??

This was a very unexpected "DISH" Christmas Present !!!
A card would have been much more appropriate .

Your comments will be greatly apreciated !
HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Thanks Mike
But now I have to go rent all the flicks I had to keep my kids busy this holiday.

Reguards
Scott

Don't expect Dish Network to reimburse/give credit for the PPV's that were erased. They will say "well didnt you watch them?" or "how do we know if they were really deleted and your not just trying to get some free ppv's"?

Thanks

THANKS

For 3 yrs other then DISH slapping a lease fee on a unit I purchased on ebay and they approved the serial #
This unit has worked flawlesly then drops 40 + hrs and returns to normal is kind of scary

Maybe the 522 needs an Excorcist

sbrinck said:
Thanks Mike
But now I have to go rent all the flicks I had to keep my kids busy this holiday.
Reguards
Scott

Sorry to be so glib. I have had the same problem in the past with my 921 and my 721s wiping their hard drives and loosing everything I have recorded. With Dish you learn to be used to it. Their receivers in the past have been quite klunky and not the most technically sound.

My 942 is pretty good but it too sometimes suffer from code 7 errors where I have to reboot to play them. But no hard drive wipes since I have had it since April. KNOCK ON WOOD!:rolleyes:

The sooner everyone that has a DVR realizes that a DVR is NOT a permanent storage device, the better you off you will be.
I don't want to be unsympathetic, but after *4* 522's, I don't leave anything that I want to KEEP on the DVR without transferring it to tape(for now).
Until there is an external way to digitally preserve your recordings, you are at the mercy of your hard drive or the software running it....
Sorry...

Mark
You are correct sir .
But you got to think if I had put protect on the ppv events.
I would not be having this conversation .
I am sure Dish CS would confirm this conclusion.
Hey its good to know this is not the first time .
And it will be my last.

Protect is OK for the USER not accidentally erasing the content, but if the engineer in the box detects a glitch, it doesn't matter of it was a $49.00 PPV event or spongebob. It is going to basically wipe the drive and rebuild it.
It would be nice to go to a RAID setup in out set-top boxes, but that would cut into the providers bottom line and we all know it is about the cashola and not the customers.
I'm still waiting for my 921 to puke. Its been slow in updating the guide since L273.
So far this 522 is OK, but I've been running it at 89'F top HDD temp and 75'F for low temp. It has been more stable than the previous ones which ran 120+ and shut down at 138-140'F.
Not sure what relationship temp plays in failure rates. We will see.
Good luck.:up

The protect statment was my stab at humor and not very funny.
I got my father a 921 the first generation was on a waiting list for 6 months and paid a grand + installation and I still am hearing about it and beleve me none of it good. I tryed a stab with the Dish HD and then an LG that was a complete nightmare . I now have a Sony HDD 250 I figure with the 522 and 2# 501s Dish gets enough of my money.

Hey is Charlie ever going to do somthing inventive and offer The complete new Sirius programing ?

That is the only way Dish is going to get back in my wallet !!

These 522's that I have might be the first DVR to actually not fail on me (other than the 7100 that I had long ago).

We should have some type of device to allow us to transfer our content to our computer without having to playback the show.

My dang 721 is screwing up as I type this. It is having a stutter problem with the playback and it has done this before.

Since I now have no faith that this will be a one time event I have been considering an up grade to possibly a 625 or like yourself a 721 .
But the reviews on this site do not give me the warm fuzzies about the idea .
Is the on demand feature alone worth the upgrade?
again I apreciate the feedback.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts