Dish 622 "E" series running cooler

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Kandiru

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
So i got my ill fated D=dead HDMI replaced with an E.

The D was hot like a furnace, so i took a Targus chill mat and now every time i touch the 622 all i can feel is cool metal. Woooow, what a change. I am wondering but too tired to experiment whether this series run cooler even without the mat?

Other difference is that the stickies up front now had a little tab to ease pulling them off the front.

Overall i am satisfied with Dish for letting just get HD programming for half the metal package pricing, giving me $200 for the 942 i got off ebay for 330, and now replacing the beta-tester 622 with a real working one, designed with efficient cooling.

World Cinema is becoming a favorite, watched Beyond Silence, a German movie and also religiously follow the World Cup on ESPNHD2, and these things just make me realize how much more there is to the world than our unilingual continent. Thank you Dish for keeping the world open to America as much as some of our leaders would like to stop this from happening.

I thought the lower temperature of my new 622 version E was an error. It is running around 20 degrees cooler. The top surface does feel cooler than my version A, B, and D. The average temp. is 96F. My others hang round 118F -120F. I have not noticed any difference in fan sounds.

I haven't tried to quantify it yet, but I might agree that my "E" is running cooler than my "D". I do have a cheapo 3-fan laptop cooler blowing down on the top 24/7 and that room has been a bit cooler lately due to the weather, so it's probably not a fair comparison. I'll get into the counters and start logging the data, tho'.

Unfortunately the "D" was returned, so I can no longer use it for a benchmark.

This is going to be a VERY interesting/informative thread...!!!

Last edited:
Kandiru, that Targus chill mat sounds interesting. I found one that is used for laptops and has a usb connection for power. Is that what you are using? And if so, I assume the usb port on the 622 works ok?

RandallA - I'll be on top of that one! I'll pull the cover tonight and give a report tomorrow. We'll use Mark_AR's photos for comparison (tho' I don't recall which version he had). If anything seems different I'll get some photos as well.

At the same time I'll fix that minor shipping damage on the left rear corner - good excuse to open it anyway...

You warned me about the cheap LT cooling units I ordered from SC. They arrived anyway - too late to cancel. But at about $15 ea. they're at least suitable for parts. One plan I had was to gut one of them and place all 3 fans in a block of styrofoam about the same length as the 622's side, then mount that up tight to the left side where the worse heat is. I can easily experiment with airflow volume and direction that way to see if either makes any difference. That's my short-term plan anyway - More to follow...

Yeah, sorry about that. I posted inmediately after I saw them but you had already bought them. I did buy the Lapcool 3 there and it's been great for me.

"We'll use Mark_AR's photos for comparison"

That's what I was thinking, maybe they've made modifications to this new revision.

BTW, anyone interested in cooling their 622 can go to this thread:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=59186

Last edited:
RandallA said:
Yeah, sorry about that. I posted inmediately after I saw them but you had already bought them. I did buy the Lapcool 3 there and it's been great for me...
Not your fault by any means. I probably still could have cancelled the order, but they were cheap enough that I decided to let it go and see what I got. One disappointment, tho' IIRC the unit was supposed to have a fan monitor that would detect a burned-out fan, but it surely does not have anything as fancy as that. Just the fans, a switch controlling all 3, and the USB plug on a short cable.

More to follow...

My 622's should be arriving any day now. How can I tell what series it is, ie, "D" or "E".

Thanks.........
Robert

robert393 said:
My 622's should be arriving any day now. How can I tell what series it is, ie, "D" or "E".

Thanks.........
Robert
On the shipping box, plastic wrapping enclosing the 622, and the back of the 622 is a paper bar code sticker with the model number. Below the bar code is a series of letters and numbers. The last letter in bottom number sequence is the version number.

Last edited:
I'm running 622 "C" with open cover and found only one huge source of heat - the Maxtor 6L320S0. I cant hold my fingers more then a few seconds ! 20+ W heater, a black brick :(.
If your disk is different model, please look for model number, could be a difference there.

Good news I guess, both my 622's arrived today and are "E". Install is scheduled for next Tue.

Are people still having the HDMI outages with the "E" series machines?

Robert

I got some pictures from 622 MB Rev C for research a root of the overheating problem.

First of all, I would say as an engineer who knows what is aerodynamic and how some apparatus flying ;), that 622's box "designer" doesn't bother to consult with someone who knows that basics. :(
Flat sheet metal work !
Little excuse for making those three bumps, what create aesthetic look, but doesn't work for cooling at all. There is no way to create abequate air stream.
A gap between HDD and solid part of a "tunnel" so small, just a couple mm.
Tell me how airflow will cool top hottest part of the disk ?

The 622 was design to be overheated ! :(

PS. If they'll make open area at size of HDD and raise the fan for 1/4" or lower the disk in the "caddy" for 1/2", then it will works as temporary solution.

Attachments

• 622a.JPG
    622a.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 419
  • 622d.JPG
    622d.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 408
  • 622b.JPG
    622b.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Smith said:
I got some pictures from 622 MB Rev C for research a root of the overheating problem.

First of all, I would say as an engineer who knows what is aerodynamic and how some apparatus flying ;), that 622's box "designer" doesn't bother to consult with someone who knows that basics. :(
Flat sheet metal work !
Little excuse for making those three bumps, what create aesthetic look, but doesn't work for cooling at all. There is no way to create abequate air stream.

PS. If they'll make open area at size of HDD and raise the fan for 1/4" or lower the disk in the "caddy" for 1/2", then it will works as temporary solution.
I don't know if the did a slight redesign, but the E series reports running a lot cooler then earlier series. My E is running in a room that can get quite warm during the day (a bedroom upstairs), and reports 15 degrees cooler for the average and the high.

Smith said:

Flat sheet metal work !

The biggest mistake they made in the mounting of the hard drive was to use the rubber/plastic bushings at connection points. A solid metal to metal joint would allow heat from the hard drive to sink out into the mounting bracket and be easier to dissipate with air flow.

My Panasonic Showstopper HD ran as hot as a firecracker because they mounted it in a metal "shroud" with foam rubber all around it. It was setting in its own oven.

Last edited:
I checked the diagnostics on my 'C' model 622 and my average temp. is 125 degrees. The low temp was 109 degrees and the high temp was 138 degrees. I think this is why my 622 crashes with a blank screen and requires a hard reboot.

I opened the cover today to see if this cools the machine. If it doesn't, I might buy one of those laptop fan coolers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)