Dish 622, TV2 output grainy picture

ckeays

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
New York, USA
Hello everyone,

I have read multiple posts regarding the picture quality on TV2 output.

To rule out any possibility of long cable runs, faulty RG6 cables, etc, I hooked the TV2 output from my dish 622 receiver using a 4' RG6 coax with the second TV in the same room as the 622.

The picture is grainy. I don't expect HDTV but it should not be grainy. FYI it is not a snowy picture, just grainy like analogue cable used to be. I even tried other 4' cables. Still grainy.

There are no local channels broadcasting (anywhere near) the TV output channels I am using.
I have tried multiple channels, air, cable, nothing helps.

Is this just a poor design with the receiver? It seems a lot of people are complaining about this when I search the net.

I have a Netmedia video modulator. Just as a test, I connected the composite video output from the 622 to this unit and set it to output on channel 22 (for example). It works perfectly, no grainy picture even going through 75' cable to the other TV.

I shouldn't have to do this. Is there any way to improve the signal quality on the TV1 & TV2 outputs so I don't have to use the modulator? The modulator is for use somewhere else in my home.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Please be honest. If the receiver is known for this I would appreciate honesty as I have ruled out every other possibility.

Looks like you have narrowed it down to a bad modulator in the 622, call DISH for a replacement receiver. Is ch 22 the output channel for TV2?

Looks like you have narrowed it down to a bad modulator in the 622, call DISH for a replacement receiver. Is ch 22 the output channel for TV2?

Thank you for responding to my post.

Yes channel 22 was ONCE the output for TV2, but I also tried many other channels, all grainy.
It looks like the problem isn't with my receiver only, as there are many others with this same problem.
(In fact one of my neighbors has a 722 receiver with the same problem, he just lives with it)

The TV I am using for TV2 is an older one. I tested using the modulator (read above) to ensure that the input to my TV is not the problem. I even tried a third TV.
The TV2 output from the 622 is watchable but poor quality.

I am about to cancel my long time dish subscription this fall anyways.
The idea of paying for more and more commercials has been getting to me these last few years.

As Boba suggested earlier, sounds like you have a defective TV2 putput. It its NOT by design as you queried prior. I would contact DIRT for a replacement, regardless of you future Maybe's.

Reactions: TheKrell
I'll third that. Bad modulator, since it's happening connected directly to the tv2 out. (Reversed diplexers create poor tv2 image quality too) I've seen numerous 622 exhibit this issue.

Hello everyone,

I have read multiple posts regarding the picture quality on TV2 output.

To rule out any possibility of long cable runs, faulty RG6 cables, etc, I hooked the TV2 output from my dish 622 receiver using a 4' RG6 coax with the second TV in the same room as the 622.

The picture is grainy. I don't expect HDTV but it should not be grainy. FYI it is not a snowy picture, just grainy like analogue cable used to be. I even tried other 4' cables. Still grainy.

There are no local channels broadcasting (anywhere near) the TV output channels I am using.
I have tried multiple channels, air, cable, nothing helps.

Is this just a poor design with the receiver? It seems a lot of people are complaining about this when I search the net.

I have a Netmedia video modulator. Just as a test, I connected the composite video output from the 622 to this unit and set it to output on channel 22 (for example). It works perfectly, no grainy picture even going through 75' cable to the other TV.

I shouldn't have to do this. Is there any way to improve the signal quality on the TV1 & TV2 outputs so I don't have to use the modulator? The modulator is for use somewhere else in my home.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Please be honest. If the receiver is known for this I would appreciate honesty as I have ruled out every other possibility.

As other members have posted, this should not be happening and sounds like a defective piece of equipment. Can you send me a private message with your DISH account number along with your 4 digit PIN and we can look into getting this taken care of.

Reactions: jc1975
FWIW, my first Dish receiver was a 4900 which supplied a beautiful (for an SD signal) modulated output throughout my house. Then I had a 501 which again had a good modulated output. When I replaced that with a 625 and moved to a new house, the modulated output was crappy as hell, so I never used it. I went with a 311 instead for my bedroom.

I now have a 722 but only use the composite video output for TV2, which also looks rather good (for an SD signal). I only wish it had anamorphic widescreen available on the TV2 outputs. :)

Did you try to change the tv2 output channel at all? Air or cable? If all channels are distorted it pretty much has to be the box at this point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts