Dish 625 + 301 misery!!!! What hath I wrought?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Skwerl

Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Jamesburg, NJ
So here I am thinking I am a tech savvy chick: heck I installed the darn thing in 2002 [with the help of a QAS and FS1 and a simple 501, 301 combination that worked very well lo these many years]...how hard could it be?

I have grown to regret those insolent words.

I have upgraded to a Dish 625 on the 2nd floor for 2 tv's, and the original 311 to 1 tv on the 1st floor. I do not have house distribution cabling on the 2nd floor as it is an old mother/daughter house.

The dish is a DP500 dual LNB, I cannot recall the switch [possibly a 1in2] with a line running to the downstairs apartment and another to the upstairs apartment.

At the recommendation of Dish Tech Support, I was told to put a splitter on the coax for the 2nd floor, then connect to the triplexer that came with the receiver with a short bit of coax. When I started the installation [menu 6-1-1] ran a check switch and received error message about switch connection incorrect. Sat1 & sat2 are not uniform: sat1 has 119 & 110, sat2 has 119 only. I checked the 1st floor 311 and ran a check switch on that- the 311 had 110 only.

Recap: 625 sat1 has 119 & 110, sat2 has 119 only. 311 has 110 only. Splitter connected on the 625 line is in the splitter input, one output to the triplexer, and other output goes to 2nd tv to be used with the 625. Also: the splitter is old: at least 12 yrs old and was used when I had cable many moons ago.

What did I do wrong?

You listened to somebody at Dish Tech Support who did not grasp the situation.

Easiest solution IMHO is to replace your legacy twin with a DishPro Plus twin. Then run a single cable to each receiver, getting rid of all other/earlier switches or <cringe> splitters. The triplexer will work to split out the single cable from the DPP twin to each of the 625's sat tuners.

If you are trying to backfeed the 625's TV2 output via the triplexer, then the other item you are trying to use might really be a diplexer (not splitter). Not sure without understanding your wiring better, but that might work if you get all DishPro (bandstacked) LNBs and switches. You can't mix legacy with DishPro stuff.

Last edited:
I thought I had DishPro....it has that cheezy DP logo on it. I know it isn't plus though, thats much newer. Should I just call and request a dispatch to straighten it out? Im a bit skeert of heights to go crawling out on the roof of my house.

[CSR tech support being helpful? Thanks for the giggle!] At least they didn't try to sell me anything this time.

There is something newer called DishProPlus. The advantage of DPP is on a dual tuner unit (like the 625) you only need one cable from the dish to the receiver. On the back you put a separator (looks like a splitter but it clearly says separator) which gives you both tuners. DishPro you would need two lines to the receiver

I wouldnt call anyone. We have a group here called DIRT (Dish Internet Response Team). They work for Dish but are here to help out better than 1st line CSR's (or even tech support). Actually saying that is worded pretty poorly. They frickin rock :)
You can send a private message to one of them. Their names are in red on the main forum page.

I also sent a request to that group to check out this thread to see what they can do. Usually one will respond and you could send a PM to that person directly since they can see the thread and knows what they are working with

Skwerl said:
So here I am thinking I am a tech savvy chick: heck I installed the darn thing in 2002 [with the help of a QAS and FS1 and a simple 501, 301 combination that worked very well lo these many years]...how hard could it be?

I have grown to regret those insolent words.

I have upgraded to a Dish 625 on the 2nd floor for 2 tv's, and the original 311 to 1 tv on the 1st floor. I do not have house distribution cabling on the 2nd floor as it is an old mother/daughter house.

The dish is a DP500 dual LNB, I cannot recall the switch with a line running to the downstairs apartment and another to the upstairs apartment.

At the recommendation of Dish Tech Support, I was told to put a splitter on the coax for the 2nd floor, then connect to the triplexer that came with the receiver with a short bit of coax. When I started the installation [menu 6-1-1] ran a check switch and received error message about switch connection incorrect. Sat1 & sat2 are not uniform: sat1 has 119 & 110, sat2 has 119 only. I checked the 1st floor 311 and ran a check switch on that- the 311 had 110 only.

Recap: 625 sat1 has 119 & 110, sat2 has 119 only. 311 has 110 only. Splitter connected on the 625 line is in the splitter input, one output to the triplexer, and other output goes to 2nd tv to be used with the 625. Also: the splitter is old: at least 12 yrs old and was used when I had cable many moons ago.

What did I do wrong?

Putting a splitter on the coax between the dish and the reciever.

What you need is a dyplexer.

I thought I had DishPro....it has that cheezy DP logo on it. I know it isn't plus though, thats much newer. Should I just call and request a dispatch to straighten it out? Im a bit skeert of heights to go crawling out on the roof of my house.

[CSR tech support being helpful? Thanks for the giggle!] At least they didn't try to sell me anything this time.

If I can get you to PM me your account information we can go about getting a tech out there to get you all straightened out.

Putting a splitter on the coax between the dish and the reciever.

What you need is a dyplexer.

dont confuse the OP. The LNB setup she has will not work with the amount of receivers she has. With a DishPro Twin you only have access to two tuners. OP has 3

Well, another solution could be a DPP33. The OPP could buy a DPP33 and feed 3 dual-tuner receivers from a DP twin. Probably costs more than a DPP twin, but the DPP twin can only feed 2 receivers.

Iceberg said:
dont confuse the OP. The LNB setup she has will not work with the amount of receivers she has. With a DishPro Twin you only have access to two tuners. OP has 3

Okay, true, but she also said something about a switch.

I'm not sure what I have up there, could be a switch, could be a 2n2, could be a diplexer. Like I said, I am kind of afraid of heights to get on a ladder to check. So The most excellent DIRT guy Zach helped me out and and set me up for dispatch thereby saving me from the unsheilded terror of ladders, falling and god-knows what that lurks in the roof gutters.

I'll let you know what the outcome is, so if it comes up again hopefully it will help others

Glad to hear he got ya taken care of :)

Like I say, the DIRT team here rules. Much better than going through the Dish customer service number ;)

As promised the fix info for my 625/311 receiver misery: Get a new DishProPlus Twin LNB.

I would also like to thank all the responders, the superduper awesome Iceberg & Krell and the lovely and talented Zack from the Dish DIRT team who set me up with a painless and quick dispatch and the delightful technician Shaun of DNSC Monmouth who even verified/replaced the less than optimum coax connecters in my configuation with a sturdier ones that don't hurt my fingers! The reception is even better; the new receiver & the old 311 performs flawlessly.
Now to find a place to recycle the old 508!

As promised the fix info for my 625/311 receiver misery: Get a new DishProPlus Twin LNB.

I would also like to thank all the responders, the superduper awesome Iceberg & Krell and the lovely and talented Zack from the Dish DIRT team who set me up with a painless and quick dispatch and the delightful technician Shaun of DNSC Monmouth who even verified/replaced the less than optimum coax connecters in my configuation with a sturdier ones that don't hurt my fingers! The reception is even better; the new receiver & the old 311 performs flawlessly.
Now to find a place to recycle the old 508!

Glad to hear everything went well. If you need help with anything else let us know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)