DISH 721 PVR No Signal on RF

Mackb

Original poster
May 23, 2008
I have a DISH 721 PVR that has been working fine using the SVideo input from the box to my 8 year old Sony Wega TV. Last night I moved the TV and 721 to my basement and due to the short length of Svideo cable was forced to hook it up with Coax. The Sat signal is good because I had a DISH 500 working down there prior to trying to hook up the 721. I took the tv off of Fixed Channel Video 1 and set it to channel 3, the switch on the back of the 721 is set to channel 3, the satellite signal is coming out of Sat 1 and the coax is going from the Sat Out to the "To Converter" coax hook up on the TV. I am getting nothing but snow, the TV is getting "No Signal" even when I do an Auto Setup. Is there something on the 721 that I need to do to turn off the Svideo feed and "turn on" the coax feed? I have not tried to replicate the previous setup by connecting the Svideo.

HELP, I am truly perplexed.

Not sure if I am understanding where the wire running to your TV is coming from as there is not SAT out port on the 721 to my knowledge. If it is running from the TV Set out coax connection to the television try a different input coax on the back of your television. The converter in connections are only for specialized connections specifically designed for it's use. Try a Ant/Cable/RF input on the television. However I would highly recommend going and buying longer S-video and audio cables as the picture quality from these cables will be far superior to a modulated picture on Channel 3/4

Your 721 has 2 satellite inputs. Both must be connected to the LNB on the dish. They are next to each other, pretty much top dead center.

The 721 has a "TV out" connector. It is at the bottom, a bit to the right of the S-video connection. This is where you plug in your coax that will feed the TV.

Above the "TV out" connector is a "TV antenna/cable in" coax connector. No need to connect anything there. This connector will not feed your TV. It will pass thru a signal fed to it.

As you look at the back panel, there is yet another coax connection, at the far left. This is for the "UHF remote antenna." This is where the short antenna goes, so your remote works.

I hope this helps. I second using S-Video and RCA audio cables, the difference is noticable. I also have a 721, and I love it. In fact, I've loved all six that have flowed thru my home. :( Sadly, they work great when they work, but they have known HDD and power supply problems.

Let us know how this works out for you. And welcome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts