Dish 722: Control TV1 with TV2 remote? (HD in 2 rooms)

Mark Strube

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
Wisconsin, USA
Does anyone know if there's a way to control the main tuner, from another room in the house, using the long-range TV2 remote? I'd love to be able to run a long HDMI and digital coax (sound) cable down to the projector setup in my basement, for occassional usage, while still mainly using on an HDTV up here connected with component. However I don't have the 722 yet, and was wondering if there's any way to do this before I invest in cable.

Thanks for any help!

Do you know about the "Keys" in the remotes?

Take off the battery cover on your TV2 remote. See that blue "key" that says 2 on it. Take it out and switch it with green key that is in the TV1 remote.

Thats it!

Let me know if it works!

-Scott

What about just setting it up as shared view with a 1 tv setup? This is how I typically have mine running, unless I have company.

Yup. What you describe is the perfect use for "single mode" operation. Just switch the receiver to "single mode". Then both remotes work, although the number 1 (infrared) remote will only work in the room with the receiver.

Note: When using HDMI, you shouldn't need to run additional sound cable. HDMI is for digital transfer of video and sound.

If money is a concern, and for the best overall viewing according to your description (part-time viewing downstairs and daily viewing upstairs), I would suggest HDMI upstairs for daily viewing and using component (with sound) for the downstairs room. (By a reasonably priced HDMI cable!!!)

HDMI for daily viewing will allow your TV and receiver to communicate together. The benefit of this is in your daily viewing experience. When allowed to communicate together, you should not need to input formatting choices "by hand". With component cables you may find yourself changing formatting as much as you change channels.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the replies!

I'll be running the HDMI to the basement since I believe I'll get no signal loss with a long run, whereas component might not look so hot at around 50ft... especially considering the basement has a 106" screen. Also I believe I'll be running seperate audio cable... I don't have an HDMI receiver, and most of those, at least last time I checked, don't yet support full 5.1 through the HDMI, which is also important in my theater.

You guys have been quite helpful, now I know that I can get the cables!

Thanks for the replies!

I'll be running the HDMI to the basement since I believe I'll get no signal loss with a long run, whereas component might not look so hot at around 50ft... especially considering the basement has a 106" screen. Also I believe I'll be running seperate audio cable... I don't have an HDMI receiver, and most of those, at least last time I checked, don't yet support full 5.1 through the HDMI, which is also important in my theater.

You guys have been quite helpful, now I know that I can get the cables!

I've read that component is better than HDMI for runs over 50'. I have approximately 55' of component running from my 622 in the family room up to a 23" Sony Bravia in the bedroom - works great.

I believe since HDMI is digital that it would either not work, work beautifully, or have some data errors that I believe usually show as white specks. If I'm having issues I could easily return the cable... I'd rather take that slight risk and have the possibility of having a perfect digital signal downstairs. :D

Setup your Tuner 1 for UHF/IR and then you could use either remote in any location.

Could someone please describe how to do this. I would really like to do this while in dual mode (use IR in main room, UHF in another room to control TV1). I could neither figure it out by surfing the menus - or find out how to do this in the manual.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)