DISH (722) How is the EHD structured, meaning it's not Fat-32, NT nor VTOC (Volume Table Of Contents used in old mini computers) ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DosDinosaur

Original poster
Jan 7, 2021
San Pedro, CA 90732
I am familiar with DOS, Win3.1 & Win98 thru XP, and took some Novell 4.1 as well as Win2000 work stations and NT networking.
When Microsoft started with the virtual Relationships, and an aliases, and inherited masking. I started to fall behind. I comprehend by linear understanding, and not since Windows95 has there been anything near Linear. Now It's all Virtual relationships! I'm trying to get an understanding of DISH 722, & Linux To manage & backup/Clone full archived HDDs. I just got my 'CloneDrive' device which claims can Clone from Bay1 to bay2. Can someone help me discover how to get a copy of Linux. And maybe a Command syntax guide in order for me to understand Linux better.

How is the DISH (722) EHD structured, meaning it's not Fat-32, NT nor VTOC (Volume Table Of Contents used in old mini computers)? What is it?​

Why understand it. It is very well documented.
If your goal is to clone a disk for backup, either CloneDrive works or they lied.

How is the DISH (722) EHD structured, meaning it's not Fat-32, NT nor VTOC (Volume Table Of Contents used in old mini computers)? What is it?​

To answer the question directly, it is some number of ~1TB ext3 partitions. When I hook up an EHD to a computer running Linux, it automatically mounts all partitions and (if running a GUI) it pops up windows showing you files and folders at the bottom of that file system. If you want to copy those folders (such as DishArc) with Linux, make sure you do so as root. If you don't do that, you will have to use the chown command to change ownership of your copied files back to root.

N.B. The program stream files in the DishArc folders are encrypted and cannot be played on Linux or any other computer.

Reactions: Yespage
The EHD is formatted as multiple partitions of EXT3 format. TheKrell is correct, you have to use Linux (I used Unbuntu) to mount the drive after the Hopper has formatted it. You can either move by command line but use one of the graphical interfaces to do so. Also, you don't have to move partition into the same partition.

The Hopper fills the disk from the inside out. So the higher number partitions are filled first before it moves to a lower numbered one. But you can place your files in any partition. Just make sure you copy the entire directly that contains each recording to whatever partition you want to.

Reactions: Yespage
The EHD is formatted as multiple partitions of EXT3 format. @TheKrell is correct, you have to use Linux (I used Unbuntu) to mount the drive after the Hopper has formatted it.
Thank you Bookworm370, but I didn't go that far! I still have a W2K partition that I used for editing my daughter's videos going back to 2004. I installed ext2fs on that parrtition and it reads the ext3 partitions just fine. It can't unwind the log, but for just reading those DishArc folders, it works just fine.

Reactions: bookworm370
Thank you Bookworm370, but I didn't go that far! I still have a W2K partition that I used for editing my daughter's videos going back to 2004. I installed ext2fs on that parrtition and it reads the ext3 partitions just fine. It can't unwind the log, but for just reading those DishArc folders, it works just fine.
What are "extfs" that you 'installed on that partition"?
And how Is a W2K partition a resource for you to work with?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)