DISH 722k PSIP On Over The Air Channels

Jim1348

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
I am now noticing PSIP data (channel guide information) on the Over The Air terrestrial channels on my DISH 722k. When that happened a couple of years back they eventually vanished as unexpectedly as they appeared. For the record, I don't subscribe to any locals through the satellite, but I do have the optional OTA ATSC tuner in the 722k.

Also note that almost all of the OTA PSIP data is discarded by current Dish receivers. :( You get the guide off the satellite, or Digital Service.

DISH Electronic Program Guide (EPG)

Since everyone has locals now, Dish has turned the guide data on for everyone.

I was unaware of that. When did it change? Does this mean that I also have locals via the satellite, too, then? They don't show up in my guide. Does this mean if I disabled the OTA tuner that they would show in the guide from the satellite? A few years ago, prior to the 722k, I had both and all of them showed up in the guide. (Both the ones received OTA and via satellite.)

Hmmm, I noticed some changes with my OTA stations this afternoon too... Pretty much ALL of the sub-channels LOST their guide data, so I deleted all the OTA locals, re-scanned to add them back, and then forced a guide update. Actually walked away while it did that and haven't looked since... Hang on

Nope, everything looks almost normal. My local CBS (ch 7) lost the mapdown for it's "-2" sub-channel (the "-1" is still there) though but I suspect a re-scan will take care of that. It's now showing up at it's actual channel number, 41-1 and 41-2.

If the OP can let us know how he has confirmed that the PSIP is now being used by the DVR. Several OTA multiplex channels do have accurate guide data, but it is because of what Dish has finally gotten and send via Sat as part of the LIL EPG data, NOT PSIP. I think there is a misunderstanding. I still have a lot of the same "Digital Service" even for ones that are easy and for which PSIP does have such as PBS World, but NOT on my Dish 722 or 722K.

Dish and TiVo use Tribune for EPG (TiVo does NOT use PSIP). TiVo has accurate guide data for all but one of my OTA multiplexed while Dish still have nearly 20+ channels with "Digital Guide". Perhaps such complete OTA guide data is an enhanced service by Tribune that Dish won't pay for.

Question to the DIRT: Considering both TiVo and Dish contract with Tribune for EPG, why does TiVo have nearly 100% full EPG data for ALL OTA's while Dish has far too many "Digital Service" displaying in the guide? AND understanding Dish requires subscription to LIL's to receive OTA EPG, why doesn't Dish just activate the PSIP for the multiplex, at least, as people would still be required to subscribe to LIL?

I don't think we will get a decent answer, but it is worth a try.

If the OP can let us know how he has confirmed that the PSIP is now being used by the DVR.
After re-scanning and downloading the program guide, everything is back to "normal". NO PSIP data is being used in the guide, IMO.
Question to the DIRT: Considering both TiVo and Dish contract with Tribune for EPG, why does TiVo have nearly 100% full EPG data for ALL OTA's while Dish has far too many "Digital Service" displaying in the guide?
No offense to the DIRT team, but this is out of their realm. There's a thread with about missing guide data that has, so far, no resolutions...

I am seeing the guide info for my locals too (don't pay for locals, just use antenna). This happens from time to time and usually as soon as it leaks from this site they take it back down.

I was hoping it would allow me to see my locals when I go to Dish Online and view my DVR to schedule recordings remotely, but no such luck :( Still cannot see my locals @ Dish Online. Still cannot remotely schedule a recording for my locals.

If they are going to leave the guide data up (on the receivers), maybe they could add it to Dish Online as well???

I have always doublechecked my HDTV's guide for the station's channel guide information also,and if it is not on my HDTV's over the air guide information also it does not bother me too much that it's not in the Dish Network's OTA guide info.

Derwin0 said:
Since everyone has locals now, Dish has turned the guide data on for everyone.

Not for me. My two ViP722 units show"digital service.". And I do NOT subscribe to locals. I am grandfathered until I change my basic programming package. I still regularly record one OTA program.

Question to the DIRT: Considering both TiVo and Dish contract with Tribune for EPG, why does TiVo have nearly 100% full EPG data for ALL OTA's while Dish has far too many "Digital Service" displaying in the guide? AND understanding Dish requires subscription to LIL's to receive OTA EPG, why doesn't Dish just activate the PSIP for the multiplex, at least, as people would still be required to subscribe to LIL?

I don't think we will get a decent answer, but it is worth a try.

I'm not a DIRT member but the answer is that E* doesn't carry those channels so the info isn't available for the EPG.

I do not subscribe to locals, my ViP722 and 211k units show digital service on the EBG for my OTA local channels.

I have a VIP622, don't subscribe to locals, and have been getting guide data for local channels since yesterday.

:confused:

Not everyone has locals now. Don't know where you got your info.

Perhaps what Derwin0 means is that more recent new subscribers get locals included with the bundles offered. I am not sure if that is the case or if that is what he is referring to, but that is simply my best guess. I think my current package would be somewhere between $5 to $10 more per month to get local channels via satellite. Since I had a pair of DISH 811s several years back, I have been viewing local DTV through a DISH receiver via an over the air antenna. I actually think having an over the air antenna gives me more flexibility. In fact, I would have to double check on this to make sure, but I think I could actually record four programs simultaneously with this configuration. I think I could record 2 via satellite and 2 via over the air at the same time.

Perhaps what Derwin0 means is that more recent new subscribers get locals included with the bundles offered. I am not sure if that is the case or if that is what he is referring to, but that is simply my best guess. I think my current package would be somewhere between $5 to $10 more per month to get local channels via satellite. Since I had a pair of DISH 811s several years back, I have been viewing local DTV through a DISH receiver via an over the air antenna. I actually think having an over the air antenna gives me more flexibility. In fact, I would have to double check on this to make sure, but I think I could actually record four programs simultaneously with this configuration. I think I could record 2 via satellite and 2 via over the air at the same time.

Packages are same price now whether you get locals or not. They included locals in all packages on the last increase in the pricing but it wasn't related to including the locals per -se.

Packages are same price now whether you get locals or not. They included locals in all packages on the last increase in the pricing but it wasn't related to including the locals per -se.
Do you mean, "They included locals when available in all packages on the last increase in the pricing but it wasn't related to including the locals per -se?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)