?Dish 811 and basic receiver running 1000.2 dish, Need HD and Std Def on 811 Advice?

Snyderd22

Original poster
Sep 29, 2010
Georgia
Hello, I am New to this Forum but have used this type of "forum style" before. With that said I have done some searches of my situation/questions before going to this length and bothering everyone with what is most likely a boring and very simple question.

Here goes.
1. Does the mpeg2 HD satellite still fly and send down programming to the older single tuner HD receivers like the 811?
2. Currently the house only has the DISH 500 on the roof but I have acquired a 1000.2 and a DPP Trip LNB so I can tune the 3 sat's, 110,119,129 on the West Arc. My question really comes down to wiring/cabling/separators.
3. With only 2 recievers in the house and only 1 being a HD receiver how many coax leads/wires will I need to run coming from the LNB's 3 outputs?
4.Also would there be any need to wire in any separators to perhaps cut this line down to 1?

So in Total I would like to run the 1000.2 dish and the Trip LNB and get HD and std def on the 811 and just keep the 110/119 std def content on the basic receiver. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Sincer Thanks in Advance!

The 811 is useless for DISH high definition signals. Just connect to the dish 500 it will deliver all the signals you can use.

Now if you have an over the air TV antenna you can connect that to the 811 and watch MPEG2 from OTA.

If you want to upgrade to a VIP receiver you can use the 1000.2 but until then it might as well sit in the garage until you can process the 129 signals.

The 811 is useless for DISH high definition signals. Just connect to the dish 500 it will deliver all the signals you can use.

Now if you have an over the air TV antenna you can connect that to the 811 and watch MPEG2 from OTA.

If you want to upgrade to a VIP receiver you can use the 1000.2 but until then it might as well sit in the garage until you can process the 129 signals.

Thanks for the reply.
So in the past, the 811 was the basic Dish HD receiver. I know that I had one back in ~2005. I am also guessing that it was strictly designed/used under the mpeg2 format. But now it seems that Dish has changed over to mpeg4 and that it has rendered the 811 to only OTA HD tuning duty?

For some reason I was reading through some other posts during my search and it appeared that the 811 would still work as a Sat-HD receiver and this was reasoned, because the older mpeg2 HD Satellite was still orbiting/active. Does that make sense?

If there is No Way I can use this 811 as an Sat-HD receiver, then what is the most basic/non-dvr based receiver that I can buy from ebay to work with the 1000.2/Trip LNB setup? This is only a setup for our cabin which we are only at 3-4 days a month and it doesn't warrant a full VIP/Dual Tuner/DVR setup.

Thanks Again.

For some reason I was reading through some other posts during my search and it appeared that the 811 would still work as a Sat-HD receiver and this was reasoned, because the older mpeg2 HD Satellite was still orbiting/active. Does that make sense?
it makes sense, but only if you were looking at very old posts. Dish HD has been mpeg-4 only for years now.

The 811 can still tune mpeg-2 SD channels, so it's not completely useless for satellite TV.

Thanks to all of your, Boba, TheKrell and n0qcu's replies.

It is Forums like these, that make the web a good place for information.

A few final questions.

1. Currently their is just a dish 500 and a twin lnb running a single coax to a basic black single tuner std def box. If I add just the 811 to this setup would I just use a standard splitter from the single coax line coming from the dish/lnb? Or must a dish separator be used?
2. Or is a separator even going to work for this situation since there is only a single coax coming down from the roof, from a twin lnb, mean there is a separator already wired up at the lnb?

3. I was reading a post from Iceberg where he is running an old deactivated 811 for his OTA channels with a yellow card. Does the 811 need a card to be used for standard Dish network viewing? I plan to activate this 811 just so I can get a second TV to see standard def programming.

You need a second cable from the dish to the 811. It needs a purple card to be able to subscribe to the current DISH system. Call DISH and ask if they will charge for the card or ship it free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)