Dish 811 and cable (Maybe HDTV signal)

psal2

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
I am picking up the "basic" basic cable to get HS Internet. The cable will be split with HS Internet by itself and the other cable, I want to run through my DP34 using diplexers.

I understand that the local HD signal is not encrypted yet and some folks who have TVs with ATSC tuners are seeing them. My TV is an HDTV Monitor and I use the 811 as a converter. I currently have an OTA hooked up to the 811 for the local HD signals but thought that I might use the cable diplexed into the 811 receiver.

My questions are:

1) If they are not encrypted, will the 811 receiver pick up all the DTV signals when a scan is done (and keep them, unlike the rotating antenna signal).

2) If they do come through, they are on cable in the high 100s, where will they show up on the 811 (as the natural 2-69 numbers?).

Thanks for your help in advance.
Pete

Not to be a wise guy but

1)why

2)why

I saw a post at another forum that basic stated it DCR tvs, the ones with ATSC/QAM tuners, can pick up HD cable signals. I pay 12 bucks a month for the minimum analog channels. All network HD channels are picked up by the QAM tuner! This is without a cable card....this is all with equipment straight out of the box!

I hope the original poster doesn't mind.

The 811 cannot at this time tune QAM. There is a rumor that a future upgrade may be possible to enable this.

Ah, QAM stands for "quadrature amplitude modulation," the format by which digital cable channels are encoded and transmitted via cable.

What a wonderful thing an internet search can find.

Now if the TV has the QAM, I would be able to probably get it.

Of course, most descriptions that I read on the HDTVs say ATSC integrated and Cable Card Ready but not much mention of a QAM. Yet, I understand that many work with the cable...

Do any of the other Dish receivers combine QAM with ATSC?

If the TV is cable card ready, than it accepts a QAM signal.

And no, there are no Dish receivers that have cable QAM in them.

Yeah, I saw that. Coming about a week or so late but welcomed anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)