Dish 811 and Home Theater Set-up

wildcatman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
Hi Guys,

I have an 811 that I am running though my GE GTD120 Home Theater. There is a noticeable delay from the lips moving on the tv to when the audio comes through the receiver. It is about 1 second. I have tried every way to resolve this, and I cannot. Is anyone else having this problem? Is it just this cheap HT system? If so, can anyone recommend an inexpensive, but solid HT?

This delay is not present when I play a DVD.

Thanks!

Have you tried running the audio/video directly to your TV to see if there is lip sync delay that way?

Try using the optical sound connection. I am not experiencing this and I also have the 811. I use the optical sound for my Theater sound system and conventional connections through the TV speaker system. But not both at the same time.

wildcatman said:
Hi Guys,

I have an 811 that I am running though my GE GTD120 Home Theater. There is a noticeable delay from the lips moving on the tv to when the audio comes through the receiver. It is about 1 second. I have tried every way to resolve this, and I cannot. Is anyone else having this problem? Is it just this cheap HT system? If so, can anyone recommend an inexpensive, but solid HT?

This delay is not present when I play a DVD.

Thanks!
While the GE system is a cheap one, it does not seem to be the cause of this problem. If DVD's have correct audio/video sync. But, the 811 does not, either through the HT or your TV, then the problem is obviously the 811.

All 811's are buggy to one extent or another. (They have improved somewhat since release. But are still only up to about a Beta level.) But, this issue sounds like it may be more serious.

First. give it a cold reboot by unplugging, leaving it unplugged for 15 seconds or so, and replugging in. After it finishes its bootup procedure, check the audio. If it's still out of sync, call Dish, and ask for a replacement.

Hold down the power button for five seconds and reboot! My 811 has done this as well, sometime simply turning it off and back on fixes it, however, most of the time it takes a reboot. Don't know why it does this, but it is the 811 and doing the above has always worked for me!

Thanks for all your help. The cold boot did not work. I called Dish and they are sending another. After I had already done this, I noticed Tony P's post. I tried his method, and it did seem to work. I am going to go ahead and let the new receiver come, though. Just in case it starts acting up again and since the new one may be a newer release.

I had this same problem with my 921 and ONKYO receiver. The ONKYO manual addresses this problem and I changed something. I hope it never happens again because I have forgotten what I did. I know this does not help you, but check out your receiver paperwork.

I just bought a surround system, and I would like to use the 811's digital output. What kind/where can I find a cable that will work for this? (I actually don't think this will work with my system, but maybe someone can help me)

The 811 digital output is optical, also called "toslink". If your audio system has an optical digital input, you're golden. If it only has coaxial digital input, you will need a converter. (I think Radio Shack may have a cheap one.) If it has neither, which is unlikely, unless it is very old, you are SOL for digital audio. In that unlikely case, you would need to use the analog RCA output of the 811.

I found that S&H was a principal cost unless you are ordering the outrageous Monster ones or buying from a normal retailer. As I wanted to connect a 4-way switch with 501/811/921/DVD+R with my amp I ordered 4 "thin" Toslink 3- or 4-footers at once at $2.64/ea + $8.24 ship from Macconnection in May '04. Had one line from DVD setup? Thin Toslink would not be appropriate for long runs but on the short connect it is perfect as the jacket is much smaller. The fiber could be any size inside of either. Must not kink them.
-Ken

Ready for a dumb question? Here goes....
I don't think my Panasonic sc-ht930 home theatre in a box has an optical digital input. Could I buy the toslink cable, use it out of the 811, and use a converter into my surround system. I think I know the answer, (and it is no) but you guys have been helpful, let me know.

Your HTIB has no digital inputs other than the integrated DVD/CD player. Getting an optical cord and converter for use with it is a rather convoluted substitute for using the analog stereo patch cord that came with the 811. The best you'll be able to do is analog to the HTIB, then select DPL II for simulated 5.1.

Stlfan45 said:
Ready for a dumb question? Here goes....
I don't think my Panasonic sc-ht930 home theatre in a box has an optical digital input. Could I buy the toslink cable, use it out of the 811, and use a converter into my surround system. I think I know the answer, (and it is no) but you guys have been helpful, let me know.

The HT930 does not have any digital inputs, however the HT17 has 3 of them for the same retail price. Any chance of a return or exchange?

I guess I could return it, but this is the 3rd one I have tried, and really like it. I read about the ht17, and my guess is it does not have a DVD player, which is fine, I have an extra one. Are the speakers wireless? Do you have this and like it? I am having problems finidng reviews of it. You're right though, it would be cheaper and looks like you get better sound.

Stlfan45 said:
I guess I could return it, but this is the 3rd one I have tried, and really like it. I read about the ht17, and my guess is it does not have a DVD player, which is fine, I have an extra one. Are the speakers wireless? Do you have this and like it? I am having problems finidng reviews of it. You're right though, it would be cheaper and looks like you get better sound.

No I do not have this system but rather looked at Panasonics website and compared models. I have Onkyo systems and couldn't be happier.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)