Dish 811 picture jumps?

Jimmy J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Wallingford, VT.
Hey all, I've had my dish 811 for about 8 weeks now and am just now noticing that the screen sometimes jumps up or down about half an inch. It happens on all sd programming that is being viewed. Especially noticeable when watching CNN. It's almost as if it was trying to adjust the verticle position of the picture, and it happens 2-3 per minute. Is this another inherent problem with the 811? :mad:

I've talked to the folks at Hitachi (TV make) and they said it has to be a problem with the reciever since it does not happen while watching DVD's or HD programming.

Any idears? Thanx.

that seems weird. Ive not had that happen to me yet. Ive had the 811 for about 2 weeks. you dont have it in some weird zoom mode for SD do you?

I received my 811 about a month ago and I am having the same problem as Jimmy J. It looks to me like a problem with the scaler on the 811. The video moves up and down a few video lines every so often. It happens on all outputs (DVI, Component and Composite) and on all channels/sources including the back panel inputs. Of further interest, if you have the 811's on-screen display up, it remains steady while the video in the background moves up and down. It is noticable on HD channels and it is easiest to see on CNN or any of the news channels that run tickers at the bottom of the screen.

I've called Dish and they took a bug report on it. They also said they would swap out my 811 if I wish. I almost hate to do that because I have had NONE of the problems mentioned here on the forum. No black screens, no lock-ups, my OTA works fine, I can switch between OTA and sat channels. Unbelievably perfect, so far.

I would suggest if you have this problem, call Dish Tech Support and have them document the problem.

I'm new to the group, but I've been lurking here for a while before I got an 811. Thanks for all the great info!

Mike J

1st what kind of TV do you have? 811 or anything else is going to work diffrent on every tv and most time its on the TV end! Might try checking some of your TV settings so on.

If Mike's assertion that the 811's OSD does not jump while the background video does jump, then the TV and cables are out of the question, and the 811 is suspect. Just out of curiosity, what about PIG (picture in graphic) like with the guide or menus (at least the 522 has it, don't know about the 811)? Does the small video frame jump in those cases?

Since the OSD doesn't jump, the problem has to be in the 811. My 811 did this on my old Standard Def TV and I was hoping that the problem was only on the SD output. When my HDTV finally came in and I still had the same problem on both the HD and SD outputs, then I decided to call Dish.

I hadn't thought about looking at the small picture in the Guide display. Good idea. Watching today, it looks jumpy, too, while the guide display is stable.

BTW, my TV is a Sony KD-34XBR960, and I primarily use the HDMI input from the DVI output on the 811.

I'm due to call Dish today, as the last tech I talked to said to call back in a week to see if they came up with anything. My guess is that they'll swap it out. My fear is what kind of problems will I have with the replacement.....

Jimmy J said:
Hey all, I've had my dish 811 for about 8 weeks now and am just now noticing that the screen sometimes jumps up or down about half an inch. It happens on all sd programming that is being viewed. Especially noticeable when watching CNN. It's almost as if it was trying to adjust the verticle position of the picture, and it happens 2-3 per minute. Is this another inherent problem with the 811? :mad:

I've talked to the folks at Hitachi (TV make) and they said it has to be a problem with the reciever since it does not happen while watching DVD's or HD programming.

Any idears? Thanx.

Jimmy J - Did Dish ever swap out your receiver and did it fix your problem? I finally got my 811 swapped before Christmas and my new receiver does the same thing only not as often.

Mike J

I've had this problem since 2.81. Dish replaced the the 811 3 different times, did a complete reinstall of all wiring and LNB's, the problem still persists. In speaking with developers on this issue there seems to be an incompatibilty with the TV. I have a Philips 55". Their solution was to give me a 6000 while they address the issue with the 811. That was 3 months ago. :mad:

I have seen a very similar problem for nearly the last year, since I got my 811. I also see it on my friend’s 811. My 811 was replaced once due to something unrelated, and the replacement does the same thing. No software update has fixed it yet. What I'm seeing is the screen pauses for a split second and the image seems to jump. Sometimes it looks like it is jumping on the vertical axis, sometimes it looks like a skip in frames. It happens a few times per minute. I see it in HD, SD, satellite or terrestrial (i.e. all sources). It doesn't matter what mode my TV is in. It is easiest to see if there is scrolling text like from a movie's credits, or the tickers that run at the bottom of any news channel like CNN. I'm convinced this problem is in every 811, and If you can see this, I encourage you to complain to Dish so it gets fixed. Pick out a word scrolling from one end of the news ticker to the end and then pick out a new word and repeat. Watch for a few minutes and you're bound to see it.

I have an 811 and I have noticed an anomaly that the picture doesn't acutally "jump" per se, the scan rate changes slightly and the picture compresses vertically just slightly and returns to normal. This is most noticeable viewing the guide. Is this the same thing or a different bug all together.

yoshald said:
I'm convinced this problem is in every 811, and If you can see this, I encourage you to complain to Dish so it gets fixed. Pick out a word scrolling from one end of the news ticker to the end and then pick out a new word and repeat. Watch for a few minutes and you're bound to see it.

Argh! I was afraid of that. I've been putting up with the 811 doing this while I'm waiting for the 942 to come out....I hope it doesn't have this problem, too. Can Dish make any HD equipment that actually works?:mad:

I have a gut feeling that it can't be fixed as it seems to be a problem with the video scaler in the receiver.

Mike J

Anytime there is a jumpy/jerky picture it's a bad receiver. That goes for any receiver. The early 301s were notorious for doing this right after the company went Dish pro. A very annoying glitch. You couldn't watch anything fast motion (ball games) with it throwing fits. A very successful way of pissing of customers. I've never seen a legacy receiver do this, hmmm.. :rolleyes:

Mysteriously, the problem seemed to disappear when they converted the boxes to the 3-prong plug. Many thought it was a power problem with Dish pro. The problem was fixed until the 811 remans starting showing up so the 3-prong plug theory got blown out the window.

If you download receivers before arriving at the install site you can tell immediately if the video is bad. bopping heads on channel 101, or the pay per view scrollers on channel 103 or 139. channel up or down back and forth fast to enter and re-enter those channels. If the scrollers glitch or jump, i wouldn't trust that thing. should be a smooth transmission.

Current customers can test their receivers better by doing the same channel switching on any of the cable news channels with the scrolling ticker on the bottom.

I complained to tech support the other day after my first post. They said it is a known issue and scheduled to be fixed in March. I think they called it the stuttering picture bug. They are also tracking what TV models are experiencing this (my hunch it's on every TV). Call or email their tech support!

mike_johnson said:
Jimmy J - Did Dish ever swap out your receiver and did it fix your problem? I finally got my 811 swapped before Christmas and my new receiver does the same thing only not as often.

Mike J

Yeah, I've had the unit swaped out for another issue, but it still does the same thing. I've also just got another 811 two weeks ago for the new home theater downstairs, and the new unit does it as well.

earth station said:
March? sure!. They've acknowledged the problem for four years. The only solution is to swap out the box!

Swaping out the box won't fix the problem. Simply put, it's an inherent problem that E* knows about. I've had my 811 swaped out and the replacement unit does the same thing. Like I stated in my post above, I just got another 811 a few weeks ago for the new home theater downstairs, and that one does the same thing as well. That makes 3 different units. All with the same problem. Coincidence, or something more? You be the judge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)