Dish 811 self reset *just on Atlanta FOX OTA channel*

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mmichael453

Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
Long time lurker, first time poster. I debated with myself posting this in a new thread or in an existing thread. Ultimately I decided it was a different enough issue to post new. I apologize if after reading this, that doesn't seem to have been the right thing to do...

I've had an 811 for a couple of weeks now. It shipped with v284 of the software, and overall, I've been quite happy with it. The first problem I've seen was last night.

Last night, the box started self resetting after 2-5 minutes of displaying programming. The weird thing about it was, *it was only on one channel*, WAGA Channel 5(TV), Channel 27(DT) in Atlanta, which is the local fox affiliate. All other channels, whether over the air or from the satellite worked fine.

The strange thing is, Fox has worked great right up until yesterday. When I called Dish, they seemed to be of the opinion that it was the local broadcaster's fault, but with scant technical details to give me (nevermind the issue of something in an OTA broadcast being able to force a receiver self-reset).

So, my question is: has anyone else seen this behavior, especially anyone else in Atlanta? I finally strongarmed Dish into sending a replacement receiver, but I don't have high hopes that will fix this. I also sent an email to WAGA (including their Chief Engineer, since they post his email address on their website) hoping for some insight. I'm wondering if this could be related to the 811's PSIP issues....

Update: Already heard from local affiliate

I just got a call back from the Chief Engineer at WAGA (less than 90 minutes after emailing him). He said they just had and fixed a problem with the 6000s this week, and that he's left a message with a Dish Engineer about my 811 problem. He said they might have a fix today for me to try to confirm, so we'll see. On the whole, a refreshing conversation.

I had this same problem with WBNSdt-21 in Columbus. When I called tech support they told me to unplug it from the surge protecter and plug it right into the wall. I was very skeptical that that would work, but it has. Sunday before I did this it had rebooted at least 10 times. After I plugged it directly into the wall it has not rebooted since.

mmichael453 said:
I just got a call back from the Chief Engineer at WAGA (less than 90 minutes after emailing him). He said they just had and fixed a problem with the 6000s this week, and that he's left a message with a Dish Engineer about my 811 problem. He said they might have a fix today for me to try to confirm, so we'll see. On the whole, a refreshing conversation.
The Atlanta station issue should be fixed when you get home from work. You may have to rescan the station but you should be good to go.

Jason

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)