Dish 921 fresh sw l055

ramimac said:
ok when both tinners are hooked up the unit reboots

when only tuner 2 is hooked up it works fine

Uhhh. Well, there's absolutely no question in your post and I have no idea what you're talking about so I'll just take a stab in the dark at the answer...

Yes. Or no. Maybe?

when installing my new 921 i have a problem with when i hook both cables from the dish to the reciever.

it causes it to reboot

is there anything i can try

are there any tuner 2 only tricks to get the reciever to download a software revision other that the factory l055

Actually, the same thing happened (and still does) with my 721 that I got long ago off ebay (never activated, previous owner really screwed it up, required fixing traces on the mobo etc, so i fixed it, and now just use the hdd)

Anywho, on the fresh software (was like 54 or something) , it would keep rebooting etc, had to really play with it, but namely, boot it w/o the cables, do a checkswitch, then plug em in , and do it again, that seemed to do it for me atleast!

ok i have a twin going to a dpp44

i have tried direct to the lnb threw my grounding block

i have even tried threw a dp34

all have the same affect

reboot when anything is hooked to tuner 1

all my other recievers have no problems

they are sending out a tech friday to help me gigure it out..

if it is a bad reciever or not.

i suspect old software revision and wish i could get it to download an update but no luck sofar

The following suggestions may be above your technical ability, but here goes....

Track it down and eliminate possibilities if you don't want to wait for a tech.

First-921: See if the 921 is sending power out to the switch/LNB (Eliminate the 34/44 switches at this point and go directly from the dish to the 921)

If you have a multimeter and some spare COAX, try checking the voltage coming off of tuner1 and tuner2 with the 921 OFF.

They should read somewhere about 19.5V DC each. Be careful not to short anything together here. Even with the unit off, you should have power out of both sat inputs. (The center copper conductor will be positive)

Second-LNB: The next thing I would try is to hook another LNB to the 921 right in your living room with the same spare peice of COAX. (ANY Dish/Echostar) LNB will work. Even an old Dish 300 single.

This would eliminate the 'outside LNB and coax run' to the dish on the roof. If it still reboots, then I'd say the 921 is hosed.

Third-Cable/Ground Block:If it doesn't, then take the multimeter to the outside dish and check for voltage there with the LNB disconnected. It should be no less than 18V. (Ideally it should be near what you had in the house.)

Check on both sides of the grounding block, just to be sure.

If it reads less than 18V or '0' zero, you have a problem with the cabling/ground block.

Cable alone:At this point you can also check to see if the 921 reboots with the cable run and no LNB connected, but it is unlikely this is the case, but can be done just for peice of mind.

If the voltage is OK and the 921 doesn't reboot, then swap out with another LNB.

I'm assuming you have more than one LNB since you have a DP34.

At this point there is nothing else to check. It will either be working or it won't. You have eliminated all possibilities.

Hope this helps and isn't too confusing.

Edit: I just saw where all of your other boxes are working. This makes me suspect the 921 itself.

Last edited:
Dumb question here but did you ever download the current software since you list it as SW55 which is the original sw release I believe.

is anybody out there having trouble with the 921 recording features. I tape show weekly and they don't get taped. I notice in the guide that the red dot is on but no taping is going on. just wondering if they threw in another glitch on the 921 so that you buy a 622 thanks

OK here are soem things i have learned since my last post

when hooked to a dp34 or a dp dual(single lnd with two outs)

it works fine and causes no issues it detects the lnb's fine

only when it has signal from my lnb on the dish is when it fails

what i am going to try next is puting the dual on my 129(dish 500 I put up just because i could) dish and swing it over to 119 and see what happens.

I finally called csr and they had me change my remote location and everything is fine so far. the 921 still scares me, what going to happen next. guess I might look at the 622 thanks

The 921 out of the box does NOT support DishPro Plus. It needs the software update to work with DishPro Plus.

I believe if you feed the cable to only one of the LNB inputs it will download the software.

ok here is an update

i have it hooked direct to a dish pro dual single lnb

it found 119 on both tuners

it rebooted after i hit done from point dish and now it is sitting at aquiring signal from satellite

what is it supposed to say when downloading the update?

it shoes good signal on both tuners

Update 2 now i have dish 100 screen and under software update it says group 3 of 29 downloading :))))))))

Very happy day

what was strange is it did not even like my twin with both 110 and 119

i do not get it... oh well

I wanted to thank everyone for there sugestions

i had a gut fealing that all it needed was a way to download an update

and now i am using a dp seperator on my dpp44 life is good.