Dish 922 (and possibly Hopper) DLNA Media Server capability?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gislands

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 29, 2013
California
Hi all,
So I just got a WD My Clound NAS drive and am trying to get my moneys worth out of the thing. Right now I have a 922 which I am thinking about switching over to a Hopper. I know everyone on this will tell me I should anyways. The 922 resets itself like every other morning when I get up at 4:30am when I am trying to watch CNN. So that reason alone I should switch. Also I have an external Slingbox attached to it which I could sell off I guess if I got the Hopper.
Anyways, back to the real subject, has anyone had any luck using a DLNA server to watch videos using either the 922 or the Hopper? I don't have the USB dongle right now for the 922 so I wanted to know if it is worth it to get it and if it works well with streaming media servers. Also same with the Hopper, has anyone had any luck with the streaming features for that with a streaming media server?
Thank,
GIslands

I use the home media feature on the Hopper to stream video from my media server. I use Plex but have also used Tversity (back when it was free) and the built-in Windows 7 Media Player server. All have worked and worked well for me.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Doesn't work at all on my Hopper. It hangs every time with Plex, TVersity, and Windows Media Center. There's one server, called MediaMonkey or something like that, that works, but the free version doesn't transcode, and Dish needs a lot of formats to be transcoded, and I'm not paying to do something that should work with the software I already have.

I've speculated that the reason it hangs is because I have a LOT of files, but I haven't tested it because, what's the point? Even if I would prove it, it wouldn't FIX anything.

Frankly, the whole DLNA idea is ludicrous. I don't need a program "managing" my files for me, wasting my CPU time, disk bandwidth, and network bandwidth trying to index them by metadata that many of them don't even have! I already have them organized the way I want in my folders! I don't even let Windows Media do that for the computer that hosts them, I play everything with VLC instead.

All my video files are in mkv format so that may be why they work for me and not Jim S. I have tried mp4 files and they have worked as well.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Works perfectly fine for me with my MKV files using TVersity, for reference I my MKV files are completely uncompressed files I just rip the Blu Ray files to MKVs.

I agree DLNA is fine and dandy just to show case it for some newbies. But for serious day to day whole home entertainment, best bet is to go with a basic windows box with Plex Media Server. This can be shared by anything and everything including hopper, android tablet, phone and on and on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)