Dish 922 ok?

The 721 was an EXCELLENT receiver. I know. I had seven of them flow thru my house.....

Well, when it was working...
Yeah, I really liked it too AND the weather feature was superior to the app of the Hoppers in terms of EASE of use and it was an aesthetic design overlay on screen. The two things that were lacking--for me-- about the 721 was that it was a ONE TV experience, and MOST troublesome, it was a hard time based timer system, no name based timers. That one was a pain for us to deal with considering how the 721 was pretty advanced and well ahead of any DVR except for TiVo at the time. If the 721 had name based recording, we most likely would not have been quick to change to the 522 (and later the 625), which was really the DVR we and others hand been waiting for. At that point I felt Echostar/Dish had finally arrived with very good DVR product and we would expect better things to come.

Just got my brand new 922 . I would have to say I like it .Its fast and the picture is nice . Set up was a breeze. Way faster than my 622 and so far nicer than my hopper.

Just got my brand new 922 . I would have to say I like it .Its fast and the picture is nice . Set up was a breeze. Way faster than my 622 and so far nicer than my hopper.
we will assume the sling portion is disabled?

I didn't look for the sling part . I never used it on my hopper. I did notice that there is no on demand shows available .when you try to launch it a banner pops up saying call dish to get the latest upgrade.other than that it works great and has a 1 TB hard drive . I paid less than 100 bucks .brand new not a referb .

Reactions: pattykay
I have no idea why so many people bash the 922. I had one for almost 2 years and it worked great and it should have as it was little more than a 722k with a larger HD, built in Sling and different GUI. Now the 922 is the reason I left dish and went to Direct for two years. I paid at least $200 to upgrade to it from a 722k for the sole reason the multi room extender was coming soon and I would be able to have HD on my second TV. When Dish canceled the multi-room extender and refused to refund my $200 and give me a 722K back I canceled Dish.

I have no idea why so many people bash the 922. I had one for almost 2 years and it worked great and it should have as it was little more than a 722k with a larger HD, built in Sling and different GUI. Now the 922 is the reason I left dish and went to Direct for two years. I paid at least $200 to upgrade to it from a 722k for the sole reason the multi room extender was coming soon and I would be able to have HD on my second TV. When Dish canceled the multi-room extender and refused to refund my $200 and give me a 722K back I canceled Dish.
You should have held out for a Hopper.

Had you been around having one from the get go, you would understand....Back home we went through 4 in 18 months! That was the norm for a few years......Now that last one is still in use back at the other home........But the originals were basically crash and burn for the first 2 to 3 years from inception!

922 came out in 2009-2010. Hopper wasn't even an idea when it came out, until it released in 2012. Wouldn't have been much to hold on to. It's like holding out from the IPhone 5 for the Iphone7

922 came out in 2009-2010. Hopper wasn't even an idea when it came out, until it released in 2012. Wouldn't have been much to hold on to. It's like holding out from the IPhone 5 for the Iphone7
And if you read he said he had it for 2 years, and went back to a 722.
That would put that right at 2012.
Im sure the Hopper was speculated prior to 2012.
If he would have held out with his 922, and went right to a Hopper he would have got what he wanted, Rather than going to Directv.

Came out November 2009, Hopper wasn't even announced until January 2012. Release April 2012. So if he gave it up right at 2 years, there was no indication to the Hopper, including looking through SG.

Came out November 2009, Hopper wasn't even announced until January 2012. Release April 2012. So if he gave it up right at 2 years, there was no indication to the Hopper, including looking through SG.
You do realize the Hopper was Beta testing in 2011 as the XIP813.

Or are you still going to go with "No one knew anything of the Hopper prior to 2012"

By the way that was May 2011 at Team summit.

Reactions: bobvick
I remember when they first came out . I was scheduled to get 2 of them installed for free. The morning of the install I received a call saying that they ran out of them and it would be a week or two till they could install I cancelled the order .6 years later I have one. So far so good.

Oh and the VIP922 didn't launch until April 2010.
Not November 2009.

So I maintain my statement.

If AlaJoe would have just Kept his 922, and Upgraded to the Hopper he would have gotten what he wanted.
Since 2 years with the 922 would have put him directly at the Date the Hopper was Launched.
/
OK just to clairify as I do not like putting out misinformation. I went back threw my postings here and determined.
I got the 922 in March of 2011
I switched to Direct in Dec of 2011 so I had the 922 for 9 months and the only issue I had with it was the fact that Dish never delivered on the ability to have HD on TV2. When I went to Direct I got one of the first genies so I got whole home DVR and HD on all my TVs and the original hopper had not even been announced at that point and even if it had been announced I would have never stayed on the promise that it was coming soon and I am glad I did not as the original hopper only had 3 tuners when the genie had 5 so I do not regret my two years with Direct. I came back to dish right after the super joey was released and started with a hopper with sling, SJ and joey.

OK just to clairify as I do not like putting out misinformation. I went back threw my postings here and determined.
I got the 922 in March of 2011
I switched to Direct in Dec of 2011 so I had the 922 for 9 months and the only issue I had with it was the fact that Dish never delivered on the ability to have HD on TV2. When I went to Direct I got one of the first genies so I got whole home DVR and HD on all my TVs and the original hopper had not even been announced at that point and even if it had been announced I would have never stayed on the promise that it was coming soon and I am glad I did not as the original hopper only had 3 tuners when the genie had 5 so I do not regret my two years with Direct. I came back to dish right after the super joey was released and started with a hopper with sling, SJ and joey.
And if you made it until December 2011 as I already stated you should have held out April 2012 and you would have been able to get a Hopper and Joey which was more than you could do with a 922.

But clearly you switched for other reasons than the lack of HD on TV2 which is what your original claim was.
And apparently Sling wasn't a factor.

I had one of Genies(HR34) and it was the Worst receiver I've ever used, and that was a $99 upgrade for a New customer.
And that was before they had actual Clients.
You used H24-H25s.
Which was nice because they had their own tuner, But bad because you couldn't pause or rewind live tv or have anyway to tell what you were even recording.

But I get it , You want the latest technology available at the time.

Last edited:
And if you made it until December 2011 as I already stated you should have held out April 2012 and you would have been able to get a Hopper and Joey which was more than you could do with a 922.

But clearly you switched for other reasons than the lack of HD on TV2 which is what your original claim was.
And apparently Sling wasn't a factor.

I had one of Genies(HR34) and it was the Worst receiver I've ever used, and that was a $99 upgrade for a New customer.
And that was before they had actual Clients.
You used H24-H25s.
Which was nice because they had their own tuner, But bad because you couldn't pause or rewind live tv or have anyway to tell what you were even recording.

But I get it , You want the latest technology available at the time.

The HR34 was a POS. Absolutely the worst receiver I have ever used.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: Troch77