This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Dish 942 HD Box without Phone Hookup??

bradesp

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
Dish 942 HD Box without Phone Hookup??
I have a remote lake cottage with a new HD 50" Plasma display. I have NO wired phone service to this cottage. I read an online review of the new 942 box indicating that phone hook-up is required. Major bummer for me if this is true!

Can someone confirm if this is true or not. If it is true, is there a work around of any kind?

Thanks!!!

bradesp

Not required, but you will be subject to a $5 fee for not having the phone line connected.

Well, the 942 is a dual tuner receiver, meaning it can show different video on two TVs or utilize Picture in Picture on a single tv. As per Dish's rule, every additional receiver you have costs $5 a month. Dual tuner receivers are also subject to this fee UNLESS you have a phone line connected. So it's fine to not connect one to your 942, but you will be charged the standard $5 a month extra receiver fee.

My 942 worked fine before I hooked it up to the phone line. I did get a pop-up message every day reminding me to hook up the phone line to avoid a monthly fee.

All true, but too generalized, and PIP is not the key feature. The fee applies to the dual-tuner multi-room receivers. The 721 and 921 do not have the fee.

I'm also assuming there is no broadband connection?