Dish 942 Lease

Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
3,601
1
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
DVDDAD said:
Well, I decided to purchase my second 942 instead. Doesn't make sence to me but E* will have to eat two 942's when Mpeg4 rolls around.

Why do you think that E* will have to eat them? Did they put a promise in writing that the 942s are guaranteed to receive all HD channels for the next 5 years?
 
B

Blizz

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 12, 2004
40
0
I have been a subscriber to dish for less than 18 months and got the exemption. I think it has more to do with level of service, auto pay, and credit rating. Just my .02
 
L

luckycat

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
291
0
Michigan
After much thought, I emailed ceo@dishnetwork.com yesterday asking about the 250 lease deal. Today they called back, unfortunately I wasn't home, but the rep did say that we would be eligible for the 942 lease with the 250 up-front payment.

I've always "owned" Dish equipment...but in this case makes more sense for me to lease if I want HDTV. I'll sell my 721 and 811 on eBay, and pay the $10/month for the DVR and lease fee... it would take, in my case, something like 80 months to just break even if I were to purchase a new unit - clearly MPEG4 options will be out by then, and I'm hoping that with a lease I'll have better options if the unit breaks and when mpeg-4 comes out.

I just want dual-tuner HDTV DVR...this seems like an easier option than any other path at the moment. We'll see.
 
DVDDAD

DVDDAD

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
786
12
Huntington, Long Island, NY
luckycat said:
After much thought, I emailed ceo@dishnetwork.com yesterday asking about the 250 lease deal. Today they called back, unfortunately I wasn't home, but the rep did say that we would be eligible for the 942 lease with the 250 up-front payment.

I've always "owned" Dish equipment...but in this case makes more sense for me to lease if I want HDTV. I'll sell my 721 and 811 on eBay, and pay the $10/month for the DVR and lease fee... it would take, in my case, something like 80 months to just break even if I were to purchase a new unit - clearly MPEG4 options will be out by then, and I'm hoping that with a lease I'll have better options if the unit breaks and when mpeg-4 comes out.

I just want dual-tuner HDTV DVR...this seems like an easier option than any other path at the moment. We'll see.

You'll be much happier with the 942 compared to the 811/721 set-up you have now. Enjoy!
 
B

bbtkd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 11, 2004
309
1
Criteria for getting a 942

Blizz said:
I have been a subscriber to dish for less than 18 months and got the exemption. I think it has more to do with level of service, auto pay, and credit rating. Just my .02[/QUOTE

It's not the level of service or credit rating. I am paying them $120 a month and have a spotless credit rating. I don't use autopay and I have about 2 months left on my one year contract. I have been a customer for 10 months. They refused my request. I suspect that when my contract is up they will be more willing to deal, particularly if I go with auto pay. If not, DirecTV it is...
 
SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 1, 2004
1,032
44
Blizz said:
... I think it has more to do with level of service, auto pay, and credit rating. Just my .02

I agree. Also add in length of time as a customer and having satisfied the initial commitment and thus being a candidate to leave for greener pastures. Also, I suspect that some of us were aided by using a calm and polite approach as opposed to pounding on the table. :yes
 
L

luckycat

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
291
0
Michigan
SaltiDawg said:
I agree. Also add in length of time as a customer and having satisfied the initial commitment and thus being a candidate to leave for greener pastures. Also, I suspect that some of us were aided by using a calm and polite approach as opposed to pounding on the table. :yes

Yes I'm always very courteous when talking to Dish folks... in our case we've been a customer for 5 years, obviously satisfied initial commitments. Always paid our bills on time which have been bet 80-100 (depending on programming at the time). I'm sure they have a formula to see how much profit they have made off of each subscriber, taking into account eating hardware costs, etc., and projections of future profits. Who knows.. but this is the 2nd time getting a deal from ceo@dishnetwork, if it works out - first was a 721 for I think $149 a year ago or maybe two.
 
L

luckycat

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
291
0
Michigan
Update - I have my 942 install scheduled. The rep @ ceo@dishnetwork.com said that subscription to the HD Pack is "required" on the 942, "because it is a HD receiver".. I asked if it was possible to get a deal on HD Pack, the best they could offer is 1/2 off for 6 months..so I took that. Was going to get HD P anyway, I'll probably add the VOOM channels as well.

Curious though we now have 2 receivers on our account. I called today the normal dish support line to drop our one of our receivers - they said it was the "primary" receiver and couldn't cancel it until we got the 942 installed! I asked several times why, no good explanation offered except they could not do it, but the installer would deactivate the old one and activate the new one during 942 installation. I want to sell our old receiver on eBay..I'm thinking they might come out and try to take my old receiver (I own)... So now I'm thinking I'll just keep my current receivers on-line, at least for now.

Ever hear of anything like this?
 
Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
3,601
1
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
It seems to me that with the info from the 11/14 Technical Chat, that there is reason to go ahead and lease a 942 without waiting for the 962. My reasons:

A) MPEG-4 is not on the immediate horizon.

B) For now 8PSK-Turbo is more efficient and the 811, 921, and 942 are all software upgradable to this protocol.

C) It could well be 12-18 months before there is any chance of MPEG-4. Probably even longer until one would need a receiver that can decode MPEG-4 to get all HD channels.

The 962 could be released well before MPEG-4 is needed. That would be a wise move for E* because every 962 that is placed is one more 942 that won't need replaced.

Perhaps the 962 will come out in 6 months and people picking up a 942 now will be crying in their beer. But there is a chance that the 942 will be all there is for a year, that it will have USB support soon, and it may be perfectly sufficient to get all HD channels for a couple of years.

I say that if one can get 18-24 months out of a 942, then that is worth a $250 upfront lease charge, even if you get no credit for trading it in 2 years.

I'll now add D) It is highly unlikely that E* will offer a low-cost lease option on the 962 to existing subs within the next year or longer, even if that box is released in 6 months.
 
L

luckycat

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
291
0
Michigan
Tom Bombadil said:
It seems to me that with the info from the 11/14 Technical Chat, that there is reason to go ahead and lease a 942 without waiting for the 962. My reasons:

A) MPEG-4 is not on the immediate horizon.

B) For now 8PSK-Turbo is more efficient and the 811, 921, and 942 are all software upgradable to this protocol.

C) It could well be 12-18 months before there is any chance of MPEG-4. Probably even longer until one would need a receiver that can decode MPEG-4 to get all HD channels.

The 962 could be released well before MPEG-4 is needed. That would be a wise move for E* because every 962 that is placed is one more 942 that won't need replaced.

Perhaps the 962 will come out in 6 months and people picking up a 942 now will be crying in their beer. But there is a chance that the 942 will be all there is for a year, that it will have USB support soon, and it may be perfectly sufficient to get all HD channels for a couple of years.

I say that if one can get 18-24 months out of a 942, then that is worth a $250 upfront lease charge, even if you get no credit for trading it in 2 years.

I'll now add D) It is highly unlikely that E* will offer a low-cost lease option on the 962 to existing subs within the next year or longer, even if that box is released in 6 months.

Yep I agree completely... the recent tech chat, and talk of 8PSK-Turbo, seems to breath more life into existing MPEG-2 receivers. I am fairly confident for at least a year, if not two, I will be happy with the 942 lease and content provided.
 
Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
3,601
1
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
Contacted E* and they agreed to lease me a 942 for a very sweet price, which I agreed to not disclose. A better than "normal" deal because I am exchanging an 811 that I haven't had for very long.

So look for the 962 to now be announced shortly after Thanksgiving :)
 
The Big Wood

The Big Wood

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 21, 2003
257
0
NE Georgia
After the Tech chat, I too am contemplating leasing the 942. I just checked the Ebay selling prices for the 811, and the $250 lease fee is not too far away from the prices I saw.

My big problem would be signing into a 1 or 2 year contract. I want LiL HD due to the OTA reception problems I have (60 miles from Atlanta and Stone Mountain in my line of site to the towers = BAD reception 99% of the time). I have seen on two instances on two websites that D* will begin transmitting Atl HD locals on 11/22, and my crappy cable company (who happens to be the only phone company as well, Alltel) keeps delaying their introduction of HD and said it will now be Jan '06 with only ABC and CBS confirmed as HD. Without knowing what E* is planning for HD LiL makes me hesitant in even going into a contract right now. I have a neighbor that has D* and is able to get all 4 major networks in HD from New York...so if E* ever offers them I have a chance (I get CBS HD now).

Are the 1 or 2 year contracts required? Or by some miracle is there a way out of that? For comparisons, I have been with E* for over 6 years, AT60 +HD +Voom +CBS HD. Bought all my equipment in the past...5000 (8/99), 7100(8/99), 811(12/03).

Thanks for your help!
Anthony
 
L

luckycat

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
291
0
Michigan
Question for those who took advantage of the 942 lease offer... how long did it take for you to receive your 942? It's been a week and no delivery.
 
DWS44

DWS44

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2004
7,425
4,624
Rock Hill, SC
luckycat...back when mine was shipped, I emailed them and they sent me the tracking number. Mine wasn't shipped for 2-3 days after I accepted the deal, IIRC.

I was back in the first wave of the lease "exceptions". No contract for me, though I've heard of them requiring it of some folks. I dont think anyone has figured out the criteria of the ones given the lease offer and the ones turned down...perhaps it's just their mood when you are talking to them! LOL Time with E*, service level, etc seem all across the board on both sides that you see in the posts.
 
B

Blizz

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 12, 2004
40
0
It took three days to receive the 942. It came 1 hour before the dish guy showed up to install. I was replacing a 811 and eliminating a 532. I told the installer how the cables were routed and suggested he run a new cable to where the 532 was and it would be a simple install. He said he did not have to run the new cable , that he could run both sat. and ota signal through one cable. Somehow he installed three splitters and got things running. I scanned for locals and it seemed all were being picked up. However, after he left and I started to play with the 942 my locals were only coming in at about 75% and the signal was breaking up. After calling local office, no reply, and then Dish cs, I got a guy to come back the next day. He ran a new cable, put the antenna lines back as they were and my locals are all in the 90% range and everything is good. Btw I got my lease with no contract.
 
The Big Wood

The Big Wood

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 21, 2003
257
0
NE Georgia
I'm in such an indecisive mode right now! D* announces that Atlanta HD locals are to be turned on by the end of this month, but no HD DVR til Spring (there is a thread saying that they may offer their HD DVR with no up front $ and maybe have a lease2own deal to boot).

My neighbor who gets Alltel cable said he received a notice this week that their channel lineup is changing soon to make room for HD and that there are a lot of HD channels that will be available. No idea if a HD DVR will be available.

E* announces the 811 is being discontinued and replaced by the 211/411. If I want to upgrade to the 942, I better do it soon before the price of the 811 drops on Ebay. I refuse to pay $250 for the priviledge to lease unless I make that money back from the sell of the 811.

Guess I will try my luck. Hope I get an offer to lease the 942, and I hope it comes without a contract!
 
dont24

dont24

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 20, 2004
1,979
64
MA
I also wrote a letter and received a call to offer the lease option, which I glady accepted. Will be replacing my 811, which is also being leased. Since I have 4 receivers, and still using legacy lnbf and sw64, I was told they'll upgrade me to Dish Pro equipment at no charge. Nice! I assume they'll be upgrading my Dish500 and 61.5 to DishPro lnbf, replacing my switch with a DPP44 and installing a seperator?
 
long_time_DNC

long_time_DNC

Politically Incorrect
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 24, 2004
12,630
1,614
Pacific Northwest, where it rains a lot...
luckycat said:
Question for those who took advantage of the 942 lease offer... how long did it take for you to receive your 942? It's been a week and no delivery.

As I recall, it was about 5-7 days. Got my D1000 today and Voom channels. I'm quite pleased. :D
 
L

luckycat

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 9, 2003
291
0
Michigan
OK well those responses vary from next day to 5-7 days; looks like i'm at the high end of the spectrum at 5 days so far...hopefully will get it early next week.
 

Similar threads

jmd102354
Replies
6
Views
2K
webtent
webtent
M
Replies
19
Views
3K
bobbehr
B
R
Replies
47
Views
7K
long_time_DNC
long_time_DNC
DishDave
Replies
3
Views
1K
Edgar_in_Indy
Edgar_in_Indy
Fabric8r
Replies
4
Views
2K
Cliff
Cliff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts

Top