Dish 942 Lease

When I agreed to the 942 lease a couple of days ago, there was no mention made of a contract. However that doesn't mean that it won't have a contract attached in their subscriber database, as I would have no way of proving there isn't contract.

Not that I care much either way. After paying the lease fee for the 942, I certainly plan to be around for at least another year. Why pay a lease fee and then jump in 3 months? That would be throwing a big chunk of change away.

Tom Bombadil said:
When I agreed to the 942 lease a couple of days ago, there was no mention made of a contract. However that doesn't mean that it won't have a contract attached in their subscriber database, as I would have no way of proving there isn't contract.

Not that I care much either way. After paying the lease fee for the 942, I certainly plan to be around for at least another year. Why pay a lease fee and then jump in 3 months? That would be throwing a big chunk of change away.
Same here. No mention of a contract. All that was mentioned is I need to keep the HD programming package, as long as I lease the 942.

dont24 said:
Same here. No mention of a contract. All that was mentioned is I need to keep the HD programming package, as long as I lease the 942.

No lease was mentioned to me either, although the dish rep said that an "HD Pack" was required to utilize the HD features of the receiver.

So my 942 just arrived! Now I need to wait for an installer to come out, currently scheduled for this Friday.

Question - Why does Dish require an installer to come out??

luckycat said:
So my 942 just arrived! Now I need to wait for an installer to come out, currently scheduled for this Friday.

Question - Why does Dish require an installer to come out??

you dont necessarily have to wait. If you already have the rest of your equipment in place (i.e., don't need any additional switches, lines run, etc), and are comfortable with it...you can take it out, hook it up, and call them to activate it yourself. If the first one you call wont activate it, play CSR roulette till you find one that will. They told me the same thing, but I installed mine and called and they activated it right away and cancelled the install that I didnt need.

DWS44 said:
you dont necessarily have to wait. If you already have the rest of your equipment in place (i.e., don't need any additional switches, lines run, etc), and are comfortable with it...you can take it out, hook it up, and call them to activate it yourself. If the first one you call wont activate it, play CSR roulette till you find one that will. They told me the same thing, but I installed mine and called and they activated it right away and cancelled the install that I didnt need.

Hmm..I like that idea! Last time I called Dish I had someone who didn't speak English very well who gave me some grief. I have no issues at all hooking up this receiver myself.

Update: I called Dish directly, activated my 942. Rep was very nice, cancelled my service appointment and we validated that the account had been activated.

luckycat said:
Update: I called Dish directly, activated my 942. Rep was very nice, cancelled my service appointment and we validated that the account had been activated.

Glad it worked for you...enjoy! :D

Despite my having installed 6 previous receivers, and three dishes, they insisted that an installer be sent. They are shipping the 942 separately. No way I'm going to let that installer inside my HT rack and I told them that.

I plan to put in the 942, pull out my 510 & 811, call in to activate it, and then if they still send the installer, I'll hand him my two receivers going off lease and bid him goodbye.

Tom Bombadil said:
...I'll hand him my two receivers going off lease and bid him goodbye.

I don't see the problem. I didn't have to offer up an ultimatum. I just installed my leased 942 in place of an owned 508 myself. The installer said thanks and activated my 942.

Chill. :)

No problem for me, just a waste of time and money for E* to send out an unnecessary tech. As a customer who wants E* to spend my dollars wisely, I'd prefer them to not waste them in this fashion.

And perhaps you misread my post. I'll be handing the installer my 510 and 811, but keeping my self-installed 942. So he can be useful to cart my old stuff away.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a 942 and after reading this thread I'm not sure if I read everything correctly.

I currently have an 811, 501, and 2800 in use and all are owned by me. I'd like to replace the 510 and 2800 with a 942. The 942 will go in the family room and will replace the 811 and 501. The 811 will move into the master bedroom and replace the 2800.

My question is, if I try for the lease plan of the 942 is Charlie going to try to take my 501 & 2800? If he wants to buy them back that one thing but to just take them, I don't think so.

Would I be better off trying to sell the 501 & 2800 on eBay and then purchase one there?

hemway said:
... My question is, if I try for the lease plan of the 942 is Charlie going to try to take my 501 & 2800? If he wants to buy them back that one thing but to just take them, I don't think so. ...

I have been a Dish customer for about five years. They made an exception for me and allowed me to pay the $250 Lease fee. There was no requirement to give them ny owned receivers.

I just sent my request to Dish for a lease on the 942. My 508 hard drive is about to die (I'm getting sudden jumps in time on playback), and having two receivers (508, 6000) is confusing for my family. Any my HD reception on the 6000 antenna is not very good. I'm hoping the tuner in the 942 is a newer generation than is in the 6000.

Wish me luck ;)

I tried in vain to get 942 leased, initially my mail to ceo@dish.. worked fine and I got the reply. Then the usual thing about 942 cannot be leased for existing customers etc, then asking me "why dont you buy one for $700+", I say it is too much, they say contact our dealers, yeah.. call the lcoal dealer! my first mail to ceo.. was because of indifference of dealers to "existing customer".

I ask the question about MPEG4, suddenly the reply stops. I insist again then rep replies saying there is no official word on it. I ask what is the criteria on which I can qualify to get the 942 lease (saying that I have seen few existing customers getting the lease), no answer again.

In the mean time, I get a comcast flyer saying will give 50/month deal on HD+DVR for two TVs (for Digital extended cable + HBO) for 12 months. Including my international channels total comes to around 75 bucks/mo. Currently, without any HD or DVR I pay 65 per month. If I were to add DVR fees, Equipment fees and HD fees to dish it would be around 85 per month. I am not very particular about HBO, but at that price it looks pretty good. (supposedly this deal is for satellite customers)

I ordered the cable, I call up dish, account rep says cable is still not true digital, he says I am going to be disappointed with cable, hence asked me to put the accounton hold for a month. Just get off the line, I said alright.

I dont know if it is true or not, any of you guys feel that it is that big a difference that would justify the price difference? (700+ initial cost for 942/ 250 lease fee + 10 per month for next 12 months, whereas I get two DVRs in cable?)

Cocokola said:
I just sent my request to Dish for a lease on the 942. My 508 hard drive is about to die (I'm getting sudden jumps in time on playback), and having two receivers (508, 6000) is confusing for my family. Any my HD reception on the 6000 antenna is not very good. I'm hoping the tuner in the 942 is a newer generation than is in the 6000.
Wish me luck ;)

I just got my 942 last week and the OTA reception is a vast improvement over my 6000. I would have intermittent drop outs with the 6000, but since I got the 942 reception has been solid as a rock. Good Luck.