Dish about to lose even MORE local channels

Well - this is like taxes - her tax dollars certainly pay for a lot of things she does not directly benefit from, such as the local schools. If only those that directly benefited from something paid for it, nobody could afford it - so they have to spread the pain a bit.
Schools...roads...hospitals...firehouses...yes, these all serve the public interest...paying for someone elses commercial TV...nonsense!

Well - this is like taxes - her tax dollars certainly pay for a lot of things she does not directly benefit from, such as the local schools. If only those that directly benefited from something paid for it, nobody could afford it - so they have to spread the pain a bit.

But, this is not a government function. This is just commercial companies making profit. If ESPN and the other RSNs could not make the money, guess what, it would be professional athletes pay that would be cut along with their team owners profits. ESPN was if a la carte would probably lose more than half the households. The rates that could be paid to the leagues would drop a lot. Teams would have to cut back.

Upset with DishNetwork

I just found out tonight that Dish network is not carrying my PBS station any more. No reason why and no warning this was going to happen. The station is KTNE the Nebraska PBS channel. I am thinking seriously of switching back to Cable. :(

Keep in mind, D*, E* and the various cablecos may all have different contract renewal dates.

I sincerely hope all satcos and cablecos develop strong spines, and reject the idea of becoming somebody's cash cow. We're the ones who'll get squeezed.

OTA broadcasters need to be reminded, they are OTA broadcasters, and need to tend that garden. They should emphasize that they can be received for free, often with rabbit ears atop the set. And if they can't be received that way, maybe they should pursue greater effective radiated power (ERP) to make it happen.

It seems they'd rather just get paid by folks who retransmit their signal. This is a bad path, because most of the local stations' value is in the national networks. And if congress changes the law, and let's the national networks bypass the locals and sell the signal straight to satcos and cablecos, like many ("cable") networks do, then the local broadcaster is doomed.

Local news and weather (the only other added value provided by local broadcasters) is provided by many sources, including online sources, and radio. It seems that as their customary audience ages out, they will fade from existence.

navychop said:
It seems they'd rather just get paid by folks who retransmit their signal. This is a bad path, because most of the local stations' value is in the national networks. And if congress changes the law, and let's the national networks bypass the locals and sell the signal straight to satcos and cablecos, like many ("cable") networks do, then the local broadcaster is doomed.
Except the national networks can bypass the locals now, and simply create a national feed. No change in the law is needed.

The actual problem is that those same networks own all of their affiliates in the top five markets. They own affiliates that reach 20 percent of the nation's households. And the networks certainly don't want to destroy the cash cow that their local owned-and-operated affiliates provide.

Don't forget that the networks gave DirecTV blanket waivers for out-of-market HD feeds within their owned-and-operated coverage areas. Also don't forget those waivers were finally rescinded because the networks finally had all of their owned-and-operated affiliates available on DirecTV.

WQCW channel 30 CW Network in the Charleston/Huntington WV DMA got removed and it is back on now. That only took one or two days.

Except the national networks can bypass the locals now, and simply create a national feed. No change in the law is needed.

The actual problem is that those same networks own all of their affiliates in the top five markets. They own affiliates that reach 20 percent of the nation's households. And the networks certainly don't want to destroy the cash cow that their local owned-and-operated affiliates provide.

Don't forget that the networks gave DirecTV blanket waivers for out-of-market HD feeds within their owned-and-operated coverage areas. Also don't forget those waivers were finally rescinded because the networks finally had all of their owned-and-operated affiliates available on DirecTV.

Thank you. Still seems to put the locals on tender hooks. They live so long as they are profitable to the nationals. Oh well.

I have spoken with a lady from KTEN over the phone this morning. She said they have been told that Lockwood is in talks this morning with E* and that it looks more promising than it has previously. Maybe "soon" KTEN will be back on.

If they have to do discussions on trying to reach a deal then Dish has to be giving in at least some to the demands for more money. Perhaps it is not as much as they want but some sort of increase. With that in mind many other stations probably see this and will be wanting their raise creating a domino effect. Otherwise there would be nothing to discuss, Dish would say "take it or leave it, call us when you are willing to take this amount".

So, in the uplink center the following showed up today:

4624 - KXII [MPEG4 HD] added to Ciel-2 129W TP 7 Spotbeam ?? (NA)(Sherman, TX)
4625 - KTEN [MPEG4 HD] added to Ciel-2 129W TP 7 Spotbeam ?? (NA)(Ada, OK)
4626 - KXIID [MPEG4 HD] added to Ciel-2 129W TP 7 Spotbeam ?? (NA)(Sherman, TX)

Those are my locals, on Ceil-2, IN HD FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!!

KTEN has not updated their site to show an agreement has been reached, but if one was not reached, why would Dish have this placeholder for them?

I wonder why are deciding to add some of the smaller DMA markets on 129 in HD but requiring a dish swapout for HD locals in the larger DMA's?

I'm guessing they are just putting things up to test with right now, otherwise KTEN would be back in sd. I don't see that happening till after the Superbowl. KTEN is trying to use that as leverage, once the Superbowl is over KTEN won't have much bargaining power considering the ratings on NBC.

All of these channels were uplinked and testing last year on 61.5. They were even announced as planned. They were then taken down. People in this market are mostly western arc but, the market is now an eastern arc market for new customers. My guess is they are just putting it up there to test and they may light up KXII in HD just to help the talks along.

Dish will keep a station name on the satellite even in dispute. They will simply map the channel to a slate or loop stating that there is a disagreement in progress and to call the station and complain.