DISH Acquires DBS and OTT Assets from EchoStar

Sprint and Tmobile know darn well they don't have anywhere near the number of towers Verizon and ATT have.

When using T-Mobile's extended range LTE band 12, they don't need as many! I'm using a budget phone that can't use band 12, but the rest of the family does and it rocks.

I agree that Verizon currently has the best coverage, in our area anyway. My point is that there is no guarantee they will build out the 5G network as extensively. Do you know what their plans are?

Unfortunately not, I'm not up to speed on it... I'm more afraid that 5G would cause me to blow through my monthly data even faster!

Reactions: JSheridan
When using T-Mobile's extended range LTE band 12, they don't need as many! I'm using a budget phone that can't use band 12, but the rest of the family does and it rocks.

I kinda feel like Band 12 is a gimmick. Yes it gives you better range, but they didn't actually add infrastructure... it's a contortion to add the perception of better coverage

I have Verizon prepaid(no contract) and travel with my daughter who has ATT. She loses the signal all the time and I never lose signal with Verizon. Your reception may differ in the areas that you travel.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
The thing with coverage is that it is highly situational. I have much better experience with Verizon where I live and the 15-20 miles away where my parents live. However, someone else might have the opposite and find AT&T better.

Just because one or the other says they have better coverage nationally doesn't matter unless you are going to be at every place in the country at some point. Otherwise all that matters is where you are and where you go most often.

And someone posted a link to the maps earlier, those are computer generated on what they "expect" to have coverage based on licensing and radio power. That of course is subject to change based on actual environmental conditions, doesn't take into consideration trees or changes made in the field, etc. It's no guarantee of coverage.

Understand the situational conditions. I just had better coverage with AT&T than Verizon where I travel. All I have to go on is my personal experience and coverage maps. When they both jived, it wasn't unreasonable to make that conclusion.

Last edited:
I have Verizon prepaid(no contract) and travel with my daughter who has ATT. She loses the signal all the time and I never lose signal with Verizon. Your reception may differ in the areas that you travel.

Your right.

Sprint sucks in Detroit and Verizon is rock solid here.

On the other hand go to Chicago and sprint works just fine.

I had to get rid of AT&T. Could not go to our FL home without losing nearly every call. Same with family in Lexington. Verizon, no problems.

AT&T is also better at my location, But if you go anywhere in a 30 mile radius, Verizon hands down more reliable solid signal.

T Mobile is flat out useless, Sprint is slightly above flat out useless.

I'm outside Lubbock Texas and use ATT 4G LTE with no problems. We are on a lake in a canyon. Many of our visitors with other carriers lose their signal in our canyon. I also like all the free WiFi zones that ATT has around us. That allows me to use Dish anywhere without worrying about data usage.

I've been considering shifting to Verizon since I feel ATT ripped me off $200. But I need to find out if Verizon coverage is at least as good as or better than ATT in our WV campground.

But now you guys have convinced me it would cost more with Verizon. So I'll stick with Darth ATT.

I've been considering shifting to Verizon since I feel ATT ripped me off $200. But I need to find out if Verizon coverage is at least as good as or better than ATT in our WV campground.

But now you guys have convinced me it would cost more with Verizon. So I'll stick with Darth ATT.
You don't have to go with either. There are plenty of MVNO's that use one or the other's network.

Reactions: TheKrell
You don't have to go with either. There are plenty of MVNO's that use one or the other's network.

Depends on the features you need. Most MVNO's have hopelessly inadequate customer service and intermittent problems. That's why I went back to Verizon's in-house prepaid service for my phone. My daughter is on T-Mobile's in-house prepaid service for her phone and Verizon prepaid hotspot for her internet access. Previously, I had "Total Wireless," a Verizon MVNO. Their customer service was abysmal, my phone would disconnect and then reconnect from the network multiple times a day, and then sometimes they would charge my credit card randomly and without rhyme or reason. Not worth the discount. You also won't get VoLTE, Wifi calling, HD voice, or unthrottled data on most MVNO's.

Or Google Fi which uses several other networks when off WiFi. I didn't check on the mobile networks it can use though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts