Dish adds twice as loud as the programing, annoying?

fiddlefour

Original poster
Sep 22, 2008
Dosen't this bother you? Don't the people at the top find this annoying or do they get more money from the advertisers for doing this to us? Is it the money?

I find it very annoying. Why do the stupid cheap bad acting Dish ads have to be twice as loud as the program you are watching. If I am watching at night I have to quickly lower my TV volume and then raise it again.

Simple answer. Just the fact of you having to lower the volume means that you will see and hear the commercial for a moment. It also means you will be keeping an eye on the TV.... and the ads... so you can turn the volume back up when the show is back on.

sad thing is, I wasn't being sarcastic.

Especially if the channel is Dolby Digital, which has a wider dynamic range and the average volume is low to begin with, then the dish inserted ad is NOT DD, so it blasts you outta your chair when it comes on.

Thank God for DVRs. All these loud ads do is remind me I should have been paying attention and zapped the commercial anyway.

Dosen't this bother you? Don't the people at the top find this annoying or do they get more money from the advertisers for doing this to us? Is it the money?

Mute button. Some TV's have a "Steady Sound" feature that equalizes volume levels so there is consistent output between programs and commercials. My old cable set-top-box had a similar setting, to bad DISH's set-top-box's don't have it.

I've had the "round, round, round in my Hoveround" chorus jolt me upright in my couch more than once. It sounds like Dish is compressing this audio causing it to sound much louder.

"round, round, round in my Hoveround" That's awakened me on occasion too.

Is there anything that can be done in the way of contacting dishnet to stop this tactic? This is a very unprofessional way to run a satellite company. What kind of moronic people work at dish net to allow this to happen?

"round, round, round in my Hoveround" That's awakened me on occasion too.

Is there anything that can be done in the way of contacting dishnet to stop this tactic? This is a very unprofessional way to run a satellite company. What kind of moronic people work at dish net to allow this to happen?
Did you just start watching television? Commercials are always louder than programs. Watch your local evening news.

We have Comcast at our office and it's the same way with them. Every once in awhile we'll have on a baseball game which is pretty quiet and then they'll go to commercial and the change in volume is ridiculous! Apparently Dish aren't the only ones doing this.

just a note: I have the same issue with my cable company. my new tv doesn't have the equalize loudness feature, that my old one does. i think it's time to get the old one out of storage.

When I was studying Marketing, this got brought up in class one day. Commercials are purposefully louder than normal programming because advertisers know that many people get up to go to the kitchen, etc. during them. They play it louder so you have to hear it two rooms away. Annoying, yes. Illegal, no. But I wish it was...

It IS Dish, sure all the commercials are louder than the surrounding programming but the ones that Dish inserts are ridiculously loud.

I'm normally against government intervention of any kind but a law to control the volume level of these advertisements is something I could support. In a perfect world, it would be amended to outlaw the popup ads, channel bugs and Stretch-O-Vision too.

I agree. This is getting ridiculous with some commercials. So loud, in fact, that some of them startle the heck out of me. And this past week, I was fairly concerned for my TV speakers during one commercial...this should be illegal...

I have Time Warner Cable along with Dish and I assure you that it is not just Dish. I notice this the most when the audio changes from dolby digital to 2 channel PCM which blows me out of my seat. It is annoying and I try to mute it when it happens but sometimes I have my hands full, etc. and am not able to mute it quickly enough.

I wish I was able to single out and lower the volume on PCM audio on my receiver but I can't.

sad thing is, I wasn't being sarcastic.

Especially if the channel is Dolby Digital, which has a wider dynamic range and the average volume is low to begin with, then the dish inserted ad is NOT DD, so it blasts you outta your chair when it comes on.

Thank God for DVRs. All these loud ads do is remind me I should have been paying attention and zapped the commercial anyway.

Since you are noticing the change from DD to NOT DD, that means you are probably using a dedicated Home Theater system. You receiver or preamp(s) should have a sound leveling mode, often referred to as Dolby Midnight Mode. It narrows the range of volume fluctuations between vocals and sound effects and does quiet the transition from DD to NOT DD.

My favorites are the DD ads that make the subwoofer jump and race up to the moment ordering instructions appear.

Why are TV commercials so loud?
By Herb Weisbaum, MSNBC
updated 12:40 p.m. ET, Tues., Feb. 20, 2007

This week, I’m dipping into my reader mailbag to field some of your questions. Bob K. wants to know why the volume on his television set blares during commercial breaks. Gary W. wonders if turning off his computer at the end of each day is preferred. And Neil D. want to know what the heck that omnipresent CE logo means.

Why is it that TV stations are permitted to raise the volume during the commercials? I find it very aggravating.
— Bob K.

Ask any TV station this question and you’ll get the same answer, “the commercials are no louder than any of the other programming we broadcast — they just sound louder.”

It’s true, the station isn’t turning up the volume when the commercials run, but that’s not the complete answer. Otherwise, you wouldn’t need to reach for the remote to turn down the volume during the commercial break. So what’s really going on here? This gets a little complicated, so stick with me on this.

The Federal Communications Commission does not specifically regulate the volume of TV programs or TV commercials. However, broadcasters are required to have equipment that limits the peak power they can use to send out their audio and video signals. That means the loudest TV commercial will never be any louder than the loudest part of any TV program.

A TV program has a mix of audio levels. There are loud parts and soft parts. Nuance is used to build the dramatic effect.

Most advertisers don’t want nuance. They want to grab your attention. To do that, the audio track is electronically processed to make every part of it as loud as possible within legal limits. “Nothing is allowed to be subtle,” says Brian Dooley, Editor-At-Large for CNET.com. “Everything is loud – the voices, the music and the sound effects.”

Spencer Critchley, writing in Digital Audio last month, explained it this way: “The peak levels of commercials are no higher than the peak levels of program content. But the average level is way, way higher, and that’s the level your ears care about. If someone sets off a camera flash every now and then it’s one thing; if they aim a steady spot light into your eyes it’s another, even if the peak brightness is no higher.”

There’s also what Brian Dooley of CNET.com calls “perceived loudness.” If you’re watching a drama with soft music and quiet dialogue and the station slams into a commercial for the July 4th Blow Out Sale, it’s going to be jarring. If you happen to go from the program into a commercial for a sleeping pill, one with a subtle soundtrack, it probably won’t bother you.

Help is on the way! Last month Dolby Laboratories announced it has developed technology to level out the sound differences that take place during shows and between TV programs and commercials. You pick the volume you like and the Dolby software will make the adjustments in real time automatically.

Dolby Volume could show up in some TV sets by the end of this year or early next year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts