Dish and Cable Install

cadlin

Original poster
Aug 26, 2008
Shasta County, CA
There is no where on my house that offers a clear view. The dish will need to be mounted on a pole and the cable installed under the driveway. This I am able and will do.

1. What size pole diameter?
2. Will RG6 cable with a ground suffice from dish to house, or should I also run a separate ground wrire?

Thanks.

Two receivers (most likely). I'm a bit particular about how wires and cables are run into my house. My thought is to have it so that the Dish Network installers only need to mount the dish, connect the receivers, and fine tune the system. The Direct TV people call for a 1 5/8" diameter pipe. Is this standard?

Two receivers (most likely). I'm a bit particular about how wires and cables are run into my house. My thought is to have it so that the Dish Network installers only need to mount the dish, connect the receivers, and fine tune the system. The Direct TV people call for a 1 5/8" diameter pipe. Is this standard?

Ok if it must go under the drive way, place conduit under the driveway , big enough for 4 dual rg-6 cables, why 4? this will allow for future upgrades, if you so choose,
make damn sure you have LOS before you do anything, this way you are not wasting your time or money, also the Dish network installer should have his own pole to place in the ground, but if you are sure of the los and want to help out the installer then go ahead. make sure your pole is perfectly level.

and make sure the cable run isnt more than 200 feet,
less would be better.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Neighbor across the pasture has a dish and I'll be aiming at the same sky. I really dislike the way they ran the cables into his house, that's why I've decided to run my own. I prefer that everything outside be in weather proof conduit. Hadn't thought about extra cables for upgrades. Excellent suggestion.

How about a gounding wire?

from the dish to the house using a coax with the ground attached would be fine. but when it gets to the house, the coax should go into a ground block within 20' of the utility ground. And yeah, 1 5/8" is standard for a regular dish

Yep make sure you have a messanger wire in there some place, other wise he won't be able to do the install. Also if you are getting HD there may be 2 dishes so be ready for that.

But have an open mind. What you want done may not meet Dishes requirements. Things have to be a certain way, if the customer likes it or not. If you don't let the installer do what is required he can walk.

i would let dish come install the system the way they want and once that is dont nothing says you cant go back and change it to the way you want.

i would let dish come install the system the way they want and once that is dont nothing says you cant go back and change it to the way you want.

yeah, thats good.. then the job gets qc'd and the installer gets in trouble.... and actually, the contracts that all of the companies I work for use, have a part in there that basically says you void the installation warranty by messing with it... just something to keep in mind

When I got dish, the first installer came and said.. "I can't do it on the roof, there is no LOS." (I already had Direct and could see all of the DISH sats, except for 129 which I did not need). He said ... "YOU put a pole in here and I'll be back next Saturday". So I get the 2 inch pole (Super Dish I) and put it in at the 8 foot way he wanted. Nice and level. Next Saturday comes.. and a different installer. He won't do the pole, he will do it on the roof and use my external dish for 119! Now I have a pole in the yard that will be hard to take out. I have an idea. I get a Fence pole top that is used to put the barbed wire around the top of a fence and hange a bird feeder from there! Now there are vies around it and a bird feeder. It is no longer an eyesore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts