Dish and Cable on same line in RV

garyt

Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Calif
I have a a tripod antenna with the new LNB with built in switch connected over a single line to a 123254 seperator and a 625 DVR in my RV. Sometimes when I travel, I like to watch local news on the park cable if it is available. Is there a way to run the park cable on the same line so I don't have to punch holes in my new rig (or run wires out the window)? My last RV had separate cables for Sat & Cable, so I just hooked them to the connections on the back of the 625. The DVR also came with a 175284 Triplexer that I don't use.

I did this on my motorhome. I put a duplexor (not a seperator/combinner) on the outside connector and attached the Sat tripod and cable to that. Be sure you attach the right cable to the right port. Then at the TV end you need another duplexor to seperate the signals and again make sure you connect the right cable to the right port. The ports should be marked on the duplexor. That should work fine for you as long as the cable from the external connection to the TV area is a good quality RG6. It was on my Monaco.

Thanks

Thanks, I'll give this a try. Looks like I can pick up a Satellite Diplexer Signal Combiner and Splitter at my local Loews or Home Depot.

If your RV is wired like most, the Park Cable input runs through the Winegard OTA Antenna Wallplate switching the outputs between the roof OTA antenna and the Park Cable.

The satellite signals are not going to survive going through the amplifier especially if you expect to use the multiplexed signal via the separator.

You can mixed the TV2 output with the OTA antenna but not the satellite signals.

Now if your RV doesn't use the Winegard Antenna Wallplate and uses a switch box instead, then the Park Cable input is clear and can be removed from the switchbox at attached to the Separator.

You can try what the others claimed they did, then put another coax input into the RV.

I do not have an RV. But I send satellite, OTA antenna, and the outputs of 2 722s through a single cable to a remote bedroom.
The NTSC signals from the 722s and OTA must be separated in frequency, as would any signal from the cable hookup.
The satellite signal is much higher frequency and can be separated from the OTA and others with a splitter/combiner.
Diagram available or look up my prior posts.

-Ken

I am new to this, how do I look up your prior posts? Will the device from Home Depot and the Triplexer work?

garyt said:
I am new to this, how do I look up your prior posts? Will the device from Home Depot and the Triplexer work?

Radio shack sells diplexers.
That triplexer you don't use can be used inplace of the seperator. Attatch the third cable on the triplexer should have a yellow flag on the antennae in port on the reciever. And outside somewhere convinent install the diplexer. Sat port to satellite, in/out port towards reciever, uhf port is where you plug the local cable companies source cable. And that should do it.

I just tried for the first time. Just click on my name and you are offered choices. Choose my posts. It was several down. Now lets see if I can paste the direct link <http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-forum/284105-combine-home-distribution-two-receivers.html#post2862513>.
Guess so although you will have to copy and paste that.

Note a plain splitter will result in 4 to 12dB loss of signal. A band-split results in very little loss, maybe 1-2dB. It does not pass all frequencies like a multiple outlet does but the loss is less--if you wire it correctly, labels should be Sat and Cable/coax to the input/output.

-Ken

I do not have an RV. But I send satellite, OTA antenna, and the outputs of 2 722s through a single cable to a remote bedroom.
Since you don't have an RV you don't understand the problem. The OP wants to be able to combine the signal from his tripod dish and the Park Cable to a single cable to come through the single coax input in the outside wall of the RV and then split the single cable inside the RV so one leg goes to a separator into the 625 and the other leg go to the TV.

Your schematic is taking the video stream outputs of the 722s, the OTA antenna and the DVD. That is not the OPs request.

garyt
you didn't say what kind of RV but this sould work for either.

Since you disconnected the Cable In from the Winegard Wallplate, which is normally in an outside wall, there is the place to add an coax input. It won't be near the other coax input but the sources are different anyways. Drill a hole in the outside wall off to the side of where the Winegard wall plate is. Buy a surface mount coax input plate from the RV supply store.

You should be able to add a coax barrel connector to the Winegard Wallplate for the new coax circuit. Use it for the satellite and reconnect the Cable In back to the Winegard Wallplate.

You always need more coax inputs. I had my trailer built with four additional coax inputs (two HughesNet, 2 satellite TV) and still found I had a add an additional coax input.

Gary have a few questions for you and then I can try to make up some drawings for you. First how do you get your current Sat feed into the camper? Do you connect to a factory installed input on the outside of your trailer bring it in a door or window.....? Second how do you connect from your 625 to your television, coax, Svideo, Audio Video? Do you feed signal from the 625 to a second TV in the camper and if so how are you feeding that set?

Garyt is using the coax input marked Cable In and he disconnected the other end of that input from the Winegard Wallplate. He attached that end of the cable to a separator into the 625. Hence at this moment he attaching the cable from the tripod dish to the Cable In coax input which connects to the separator to the 625.

The connections from the 625 to the TV have no bearing.

The issue is getting Park Cable into the RV without adding another coax input (i.e sharing the coax with the satellite cable from the tripod dish and the Park Cable)

The best solution is another coax input.

Garyt is using the coax input marked Cable In and he disconnected the other end of that input from the Winegard Wallplate. He attached that end of the cable to a separator into the 625. Hence at this moment he attaching the cable from the tripod dish to the Cable In coax input which connects to the separator to the 625.

The connections from the 625 to the TV have no bearing.

The issue is getting Park Cable into the RV without adding another coax input (i.e sharing the coax with the satellite cable from the tripod dish and the Park Cable)

The best solution is another coax input.

Thanks for giving the additional info for GaryT. If he were using Svideo or A/v to connect the 625 to his set then cable feed could be taken to the TV on coax was the reason I asked that. Ok well first suggestion I would make would be to check this link which gives pretty clear instructions on how to rewire the Winegard wallplate to make the install neater and also allow for easy feed of the TV2 signal to an additional set in the camper. http://www.tv4rv.com/wiring.pdf As to connecting the park cable and sat on the same wire here's a quick and dirty drawing that I hope makes that portion clear for him. The attached drawing assumes rewire of wallplate as per above link and that you feed main/only TV directly from TV1 out on the 625 and that you are back feeding a second set if it exists using the modified wallplate. Didn't have very good drawing tools here at the office so hope this is clear. If not give me a shout and I'll make a better drawing later from home.

RV.jpeg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)