Dish and Closed Captions

I wonder if Dish doesnt activate the color buttons on the 20.x and 21.x remotes, because you can(and they do send out still) the 5.x and 6.x series remotes for 622 family receivers. It would require completely different sets of software for each remote, compared to each remote acting the same currently, depending if it is IR or UHF.
The color buttons work just fine on 20.x and 21.x remotes. The 722/622 just doesn't do anything with them.

On a Hopper or 922 you can use the 20.x and 21.x remotes and have full functionality including color buttons.

They could enable green button cc functionality on the 211/222/622/722 receivers, but I doubt they will. They'll just consider it a Hopper feature and another reason to upgrade.

I should rephrase... Change how the software works on the same receiver, using different remote controls. I know they planned to use the colored buttons on the 2x.x remotes, but nixed it, like many things. Imagine the household of the average consumer, that has the original 6.x remote for TV2, and a replacement to their 5.x remote with a 21.x remote. when they find out these buttons work, and then go to the 6.x remote and find out the buttons do not even exist. Even worse, now they call in and have that remote replaced as well, because they want those features too(average customer will call to replace something for a new feature, whether they use that new feature or not. I am even included in that)

I should rephrase... Change how the software works on the same receiver, using different remote controls. I know they planned to use the colored buttons on the 2x.x remotes, but nixed it, like many things. Imagine the household of the average consumer, that has the original 6.x remote for TV2, and a replacement to their 5.x remote with a 21.x remote. when they find out these buttons work, and then go to the 6.x remote and find out the buttons do not even exist. Even worse, now they call in and have that remote replaced as well, because they want those features too(average customer will call to replace something for a new feature, whether they use that new feature or not. I am even included in that)
The software issue is trivial.

The "user management" issues are why I would not expect them to enable the functionality.

I'd be surprised if VIP software is not feature locked at this point and would not expect any new functionality on VIP unless Dish sees a way to profit from it.

Reactions: TNGTony and ChadT41
You are likely right. Just like most, I am throwing ideas out there, and gladly taking others perceptions on it. I love learning new things, or even trains of thought on how or why Dish may come to their conclusions. As we learned in the Army...If everyone is doing it, then it can't be wrong.

The software issue is trivial.

The "user management" issues are why I would not expect them to enable the functionality.

I'd be surprised if VIP software is not feature locked at this point and would not expect any new functionality on VIP unless Dish sees a way to profit from it.
I agree. I think from this point on, you will see DISH continue to try to push the remaining Vip customers over to the hopper. There is simply too much money to be made off the hopper/joey subs.

http://about.dish.com/press-release/financial/dish-network-reports-year-end-2013-financial-results
According to this, Dish had a net income of $807M in 2013. They ended with 14.057M Subscribers. That is just under $57.41 per sub for the year. That equates to a net profit of just over $4.78 per subscriber per month. I fail to see how any of these fees are needless and just so they can charge. Unless someone wants to correct me, and claim under $5 per sub per month is a huge profit. Individuals have a higher monthly profit then that, after expenses while on welfare.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)