Dish and Directv Announce Addressable Advertising Standard

nelson61

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Where it's Warm
Can someone please translate to English?
Broadcasters have been trying to figure out how to do "addressable" advertising for years. Let's say there are two people watching ESPN. One is in Atlanta and the other is in Los Angeles. An LA based retailer doesn't want to pay for a national spot, the person watching in Atlanta isn't going to buy their product (probably). So, how do you show Atlanta specific commercials in that market while at the same time, showing LA specific commercials in that market?

Cable operators do it by inserting commercials at the head ends serving that market. Streamers do it by utilizing ip location. Satellite is a little more difficult. It sounds like Dish/Direct came to an agreement so they'll use the same process (at least as it applies to the broadcaster).

That's my understanding of it at least.

The weirdest thing to me is what happens occasionally during commercial breaks. One starts, couple seconds later it is interrupted by another commercial.
I can attest that Dish does it now. Sometimes I see a commercial and want to go back and look at it again. Guess what? When I rewind and replay the series of commercials, it's no longer there and replaced with another.

DirecTV has one transponder dedicated to sending out addressable ads, which are stored on the Genie (or older DVR). When it comes time for an inserted ad, they pull one specific to your location off the hard drive. I have been too busy to watch much TV this week, but I moved my Genie and client from NC to NY last Monday. I wonder if started watching immediately if it would insert NC ads here in NY.

I can attest that Dish does it now. Sometimes I see a commercial and want to go back and look at it again. Guess what? When I rewind and replay the series of commercials, it's no longer there and replaced with another.
Thanks! I thought it was was just me... Amazing how much time you can waste searching...

Meanwhile, upon the announcement of this possible first step to a merger, the skies darkened, cattle shrieked in fear and in the distance, the calls and beating wings of the Harpies was heard.

• Haha
Reactions: charlesrshell
When I rewind and replay the series of commercials, it's no longer there and replaced with another.
I am little bit confused with this statement. When you watch a live show you can rewind up to a certain point and replay it since the show is temporarily being recorded on dvr. Right?

If that is the case how is it possible for satellite company to change commercials since the show exists as a recorded show and it no longer is coming from the sky?

I am little bit confused with this statement. When you watch a live show you can rewind up to a certain point and replay it since the show is temporarily being recorded on dvr. Right?

If that is the case how is it possible for satellite company to change commercials since the show exists as a recorded show and it no longer is coming from the sky?
The satellite company is changing the commercial that is shown live. They cover what's on the broadcast with one that's stored on your hard drive. When you rewind to watch the commercial and play, you see the actual commercial that was sent from the channel.

Meanwhile, upon the announcement of this possible first step to a merger, the skies darkened, cattle shrieked in fear and in the distance, the calls and beating wings of the Harpies was heard.
The purpose of the Dish/DTV ad format agreement is to make it easier for advertisers to create ads that work on both systems instead of having to create separate versions for each system.