DISH and Local HDTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

psal2

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
This is my first post here. I am sure that this has been discussed many, many times but in searching, I can't find a definitive answer.

When will Dish bring on HDTV local channels. I am in Central PA and the CBS station here is NOT O&O by CBS. Also, I am having a real tough time justifying $400 for antenna (and install), when Dish might have the locals in the next year or so?

Anyone give me a quick anwer? I just hate it that my only other choice is to drop Dish and go with Comcast. I just got the TV (Toshiba 46H84) and Dish 811 and might have a penalty if I cancel.

I should have done more research. I have tried 3 different indoor antenna (no real luck there) and before I spend the $400, I wanted to be assured that Dish DOES NOT plan on having them soon. Or should I just wait for them to come through Dish?

Thanks in advance. Pete

You'll be waiting sometime for Dish to bring LocalHD channels. Also 400.00 for an antenna?!?! WHAT do you have to have a tower built?

A GREAT outdoor antenna cost 50.00 (See Channel Master) and you can start by putting it in the attic and if that doesnt work a mast and rotar out side 150.00.

Oh I got a quote on CM3020, CM7777 adn CM9521A for around $200 and $75/hr to install on side of house (3 hours, they say). $400.

I may try the attic but I understand you lose 30% signal there. Also, I need a med-large directional so I would definitely need the rotor. If I could do the roof myself, I would but being 5'10" is too high for me now never mind climbing up the side of the house...

Dish has no plans at this time to carry locals in HD. (Direct TV hopes to have many locals available in HD in 4-to-5 years, but that depends on the success of several satellite launches.) Providing national HD feeds of CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox to markets other than those served by stations owned and operated (O&O) by the networks themselves would require consent by affiliates (not going to happen) or an act of congress (not impossible, but very unlikely.) You might check into what it would cost you to get Comcast basic service. Basic is usually lower priced and generally includes all of the off air channels in your area. I think they are required to allow you to recieve any HDTV OTA channels they carry for no extra charge above basic - although you would probably still have to pay the rental for the Comcast HD receiver. (Someone else here might be better versed on the legalities of this and how easy it is to get the cable companies to provide HD feeds without buying anything more than the basic package.) Of course Comcast Basic & Dish may still cost you more than just getting a similar Comcast package. If you know someone else in your area who has the $400 dollar antenna, and they are happy with it, I would definately consider that option. But I am familiar with your area, and I'm still not sure you would get all of the stations you are offered by Comcast.
Plus you would probably need an antenna rotor and would have to turn the antenna depending on whether you want to watch PBS from State College, NBC from Johnstown, or CBS from Altoona.

psal2 said:
Oh I got a quote on CM3020, CM7777 adn CM9521A for around $200 and $75/hr to install on side of house (3 hours, they say). $400.

I may try the attic but I understand you lose 30% signal there. Also, I need a med-large directional so I would definitely need the rotor. If I could do the roof myself, I would but being 5'10" is too high for me now never mind climbing up the side of the house...

I live 60 miles from the tower and I have the ChannelMaster 4228 ($52.00)without a preamp and I pick up everything just fine.

I dont know how far you live from your tower or what your topograpy is like but I would start simple and (the attic) go from there.

I just want to watch the Eagles on Fox out of Hbg/Lanc/York market. I need to look at how big the attic is and maybe put it there. 70% signal is better than nothing but I was told by someone that nothing is what I might get in an attic.

I need something that will work the following:
red - uhf WLYH 15 UPN LANCASTER PA 94° 27.4 15
red - uhf WLYH-DT 15.1 UPN LANCASTER PA 94° 27.4 23
red - vhf WHP-DT 21.1 CBS HARRISBURG PA 44° 10.7 4
red - uhf WHTM 27 ABC HARRISBURG PA 23° 7.1 27
red - vhf WHTM-DT 27.1 ABC HARRISBURG PA 23° 7.1 10
red - uhf WITF 33 PBS HARRISBURG PA 44° 10.7 33
red - uhf WITF-DT 36.1 PBS HARRISBURG PA 44° 10.7 36
red - uhf WPMT-DT 43.1 FOX YORK PA 134° 23.9 47
red - uhf WGAL-DT 8.1 NBC LANCASTER PA 134° 22.8 58
red - uhf WHP 21 CBS HARRISBURG PA 44° 10.7 21
red - uhf W35BT 35 FMN HARRISBURG PA 358° 6.4 35
blue - uhf WPMT 43 FOX YORK PA 134° 23.9 43
blue - vhf WGAL 8 NBC LANCASTER PA 134° 22.8 8

psal2 said:
I just want to watch the Eagles on Fox out of Hbg/Lanc/York market. I need to look at how big the attic is and maybe put it there. 70% signal is better than nothing but I was told by someone that nothing is what I might get in an attic.
If you don't care about the VHF stations, a ~$35 Silver Sensor UHF antenna would do it, depending on your terrain. It's highly directional, so you'd have to move it around to get the signals from other directions. It's an indoor antenna, so you just set it up in a place that's accessible.

Got one of those but haven't found the right spot yet. Getting close but signal drops every so often. Highest signal strength only getting 72 so far. Need to go higher.

mdonnelly said:
If you don't care about the VHF stations, a ~$35 Silver Sensor UHF antenna would do it, depending on your terrain. It's highly directional, so you'd have to move it around to get the signals from other directions. It's an indoor antenna, so you just set it up in a place that's accessible.

Definately try the Silver Sensor if you havent already...I tried several other indoor models and got nothing...decided to try this one before I got anything bigger. Hooked it up and receive ALL the channels in this area! Obviously it might not work that well for you, but worth looking at!

I seem to say this a lot, but a signal amp would be a good investment. Should be $40 or so. With your current 70ish signal strength it should fit the bill just fine.

Actually, it got wierd. ABC which is channel 10 (VHF) can in around 85 with the SvS but I could not get Fox or NBC. So Monday, I pick up a CM3020, CM7777 (Titan II preamp) and CM9521A (rotor). Should be installed on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Looks like another weekend of Eagles in SD.

psal2 said:
This is my first post here. I am sure that this has been discussed many, many times but in searching, I can't find a definitive answer.

When will Dish bring on HDTV local channels. I am in Central PA and the CBS station here is NOT O&O by CBS. Also, I am having a real tough time justifying $400 for antenna (and install), when Dish might have the locals in the next year or so?

Anyone give me a quick anwer? I just hate it that my only other choice is to drop Dish and go with Comcast. I just got the TV (Toshiba 46H84) and Dish 811 and might have a penalty if I cancel.

I should have done more research. I have tried 3 different indoor antenna (no real luck there) and before I spend the $400, I wanted to be assured that Dish DOES NOT plan on having them soon. Or should I just wait for them to come through Dish?

Thanks in advance. Pete
ARe you in a bad location to need a 400 ant?
I went to Circiut City got a 80 dollar terk 32 only on a 10 ft pole in back yard and get my local nbc and abc fine.Fox and CBS not hd here

trido

I don't work for Terk, but I've been happy with my TV55; it even pulls in some of the stations in the Red and Blue areas antennaweb and Terk says it won't. However, your experience might be different. Check out the Antenna Locator on Terk's site ( www.terk.com/aloc.html ) and see which of those you'd like.

--Bryan

psal2 said:
I need something that will work the following:
red - uhf WLYH 15 UPN LANCASTER PA 94° 27.4 15
red - uhf WLYH-DT 15.1 UPN LANCASTER PA 94° 27.4 23
red - vhf WHP-DT 21.1 CBS HARRISBURG PA 44° 10.7 4
red - uhf WHTM 27 ABC HARRISBURG PA 23° 7.1 27
red - vhf WHTM-DT 27.1 ABC HARRISBURG PA 23° 7.1 10
red - uhf WITF 33 PBS HARRISBURG PA 44° 10.7 33
red - uhf WITF-DT 36.1 PBS HARRISBURG PA 44° 10.7 36
red - uhf WPMT-DT 43.1 FOX YORK PA 134° 23.9 47
red - uhf WGAL-DT 8.1 NBC LANCASTER PA 134° 22.8 58
red - uhf WHP 21 CBS HARRISBURG PA 44° 10.7 21
red - uhf W35BT 35 FMN HARRISBURG PA 358° 6.4 35
blue - uhf WPMT 43 FOX YORK PA 134° 23.9 43
blue - vhf WGAL 8 NBC LANCASTER PA 134° 22.8 8

I have tried 4 different antennas with no luck. I picked up a CM3020, CM7777 preamp, and CM9521A rotor. Going for it all. It will be installed on Wednesday.

World Series in HD but more importantly, the Eagles (close one yesterday....whew).

I tried the TV-55 indoor antenna, but had to constantly change the direction, as it wouldn't catch all the locals that are a few degrees apart.

Switched to the Winegard SS 1000 that I installed outdoors, and I love the reception on this antenna.

I looked at that one but it was highly directional and mostly UHF (maybe some high VHF). I have two locals (channel 4 and 10) so I went with a CM3020. It is being installed tomorrow (Wednesday) morning.

Finally got the antenna installed. It took them 11 hours because there was a bad rotor that needed to be exchanged.

It wasn't zeroed out, 00/360 being North, so my chart didn't help immediately. Once I figured that I had to add about 130 to the chart's degrees, I got all signals in from high 70s to low 90s.

Watched the World Series in HD and it was incredible. Picture wasn't bad either... :) :)

Thanks for all the input.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)