Dish and Locals

panache70

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 17, 2010
Western Hemisphere
I am curious about what it takes for Dish to carry specific locals.
Case in point, WPTZ channel 5 is an NBC affiliate covering VT, Northern NY, New Hampshire etc.
It is carried in HD by Dish.
However, WPTZ channel 5.2 digital used to be called ME-TV and carried classic shows from the 60s 70s etc.
Earlier this year, WPTZ came into an agreement with the CW to carry all the CW primetime shows on ME-TV 5.2 digital.
So basically, 5.2 is now the CW for Northern NY, VT and New Hampshire.
It is available in HD OTA and on all the local cable networks, but is nowhere to be found on Dish.
It seems dish carries quite a bit of CW channels in HD in many cities. I know the addition of the CW by WPTZ is recent, but if the cable companies jumped on board so quickly, what does it take to get Dish to carry it?
It is the CW, not an independant local so you would think it would be on their radar...?

Contact a DIRT member and ask them to submit a request and/or look into it.

DISH needs a contract to carry that CW station, DISH is a problem to negotiate with. See if you are allowed to subscribe to the superstations.

Say what now? If by hard to negotiate with you mean they are less expensive for me for my set-up than any other provider, then yes. If you mean they were the first to realize you can't just pay what a channel wants, then yes. If you mean other carriers such as TWC and DIRECT now are hard to negotiate with, then yes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts