Dish and Packet 8 VOIP

illin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 21, 2007
I was a bit concerned that having VOIP was going to earn me a $5 bonus charge from Dish for not being able to dial out.

I have had Packet 8 VOIP now for three years. No land line phone....beautiful.

Yesterday, the tech hooked everything up and we decided to give it a go. First dial test was good. I was stunned.

Today I went into diagnostics and did a phone test. It dialed out and spent a couple minutes "updating smart card information". Completed successfully. I walked over to talk to my neighbor that has Dish and his also works trough his VOIP which is Charter phone. So that is two providers where it is working fine.

So, to clear up some mis-information int he archives here, Packet 8 seems to be working just fine now with Dish.

I have a cable Internet connection and my VOIP quality is 3.8 with low jitter.

I was a bit concerned that having VOIP was going to earn me a $5 bonus charge from Dish for not being able to dial out.

I have had Packet 8 VOIP now for three years. No land line phone....beautiful.

Yesterday, the tech hooked everything up and we decided to give it a go. First dial test was good. I was stunned.

Today I went into diagnostics and did a phone test. It dialed out and spent a couple minutes "updating smart card information". Completed successfully. I walked over to talk to my neighbor that has Dish and his also works trough his VOIP which is Charter phone. So that is two providers where it is working fine.

So, to clear up some mis-information int he archives here, Packet 8 seems to be working just fine now with Dish.

I have a cable Internet connection and my VOIP quality is 3.8 with low jitter.

Wow this is GREAT news! I have Packet 8 also and i have the 510. In order to get mine to work i had to flash the firmware with a homemade ver. Good to know it now works properly!:up

No problems here with Voicepulse. Except I can't get it to dial out correctly to get my billing information, but the monthly call to Dish to check on the receiver goes out fine.

I can't seem to get my VIP622 to dial out on my Packet8.. What Packet8 router do you guys have??

Packet8 works fine here when they are not busy, like in the middle of the night/morning. The afternoons and evenings it did not work reliably at all. Their Tech Support was horrid, blaming me for everything. Packet8, why can't I dial out when I can get incoming calls?
Why can't you even even forward calls anymore to my cell phone/new line?
I am a IT contractor and need to get my calls.
My Comcast HSI service is just fine. 1.5 year customer too.

Verizon has the ad here that they handle 1.2 Billion calls/day and is 99.9% reliable at it. Everyone is switching back to Verizon in Seattle's East and North sides because the Dec. windstorm took down the power and cable, for some, more than a week...Close to 3 days here.
Well worth it. I can use Sprint PCS for Long Distance.
I'm getting a generator too for this fall too.

I had Packet8 for about a year until I tried VoicePulse... I'd never go back nor would I go back to POTS.

It's one of those double edged swords... during the hurricane seasons here in LA when everyone was fleeing to other parts of the state the phone circuits were jammed. I was enjoying making and receiving calls just fine. When New Orleans was flooded and all of our LD circuits had to be rerouted to the other side of the state I also had no issues with LD calls at home on VoicePulse.

But back to topic.... if you are not using g711u with Packet8 then your receiver will probably never dial out.

No Luck with P8

I just hooked up packet 8 and voice service is great. But no go with my 622 and 625. The 510 is now password protected. I couldn't get into it to flash the FW to make any changes.

:(

I just hooked up packet 8 and voice service is great. But no go with my 622 and 625. The 510 is now password protected. I couldn't get into it to flash the FW to make any changes.

:(

Probably no g711u turned on. Modems need the full bandwidth codec such as g711u to function. The highly compressed codecs such as g723 and g729 (can't remember which one P8 uses), will not work with modems.

If you think the voice quality of g729 sounds good? You ought to here a provider with g711u!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)