Dish and sports, come on!

The fact that Dish has limited financial resources rules every decision at Dish. They have to get by with less, and it is often a challenge. Well, how about this for having better chances at keeping customers: If Dish had deeper pockets, it could afford to dump the overseas CSR centers and return to 100% USA CSR's. Charlie admitted this was a big problem, but things are tight at Dish, and their smaller pocket book forces them to make savings in some areas they would rather not but must in order to have the $$ to be competitive on other issues. Of course, Charlie is just about as penny-pinching as they come, anyway.

Also, more $$ could make Dish STB's could be a bit more stable. A lot of people on this board have expressed frustration with unstable STB's and have even left Dish because of it. Let's face it, the MyPal DVR's very poor start is related much more to the fact that Echostar had to produce a fairly sophisticated box with limited means rather than the quality of the engineering. This is also the case at Dish.

With extra $$$/deeper pockets, Charlie could hire more software people and properly staff departments (it is ridiculous how long we have to wait for software updates, but the revenue producing updates come along fast. It is clear the software staff has to put other projects on hold, but not necessarily if they had more software people. And yes, they would still have to stagger the releases because of technical reasons, but we would get updates sooner, overall), and perhaps pay a higher wage to hire brighter people at the US CSR centers, like Southwest Airlines generally pays higher wages, but attracts smarter, more efficient people for the higher cost.

An endless list of things all departments at Dish would live to have with deeper pockets. The name of the pay-TV game now is SIZE does matter. Charlie will have to make a decision in a couple of years about how Dish's will continue to compete with the fat cats.
Have you ever looked at the list of the world's richest people? (look at the top 100)

If you like sports go to DirectTV and leave Dish alone. I donot want to pay more for YOUR sports.
And I don't want to pay for other people's LOGO and Fashion TV... Everyone has something they don't want to pay for, but without a la carte it is just part of the deal that you have to pay for some stuff you don't want in order to get the stuff you want. Should I leave because E* is adding new HD channels that I don't care about? To me, the answer is no. I accept that other people may be interested in those channels and I hope the next batch of additions has something that appeals to me. The "I don't want to pay more for your sports" response seems like a rather selfish one on the part of non-sports fans.

:up:up

I'm sort of happy for part of the year. I live within the market of two RSNs (CSNMA and MASN). DISH carries per game HD for basketball and hockey from the one, but has yet to pony up for two MLB teams on the other. Based on regular season coverage, I get about 40 hockey and 40 basketball games in HD. Meanwhile, I miss out on 210 baseball games in HD this summer.

After Wednesday night's Stanley Cup game, I may be pretty upset with DISH until late October.

The issue isn't necessarily full time HD RSN's. It's receiving all of the HD RSN games on Dish. I, for one, don't care if my HD RSN is full time or not, I just want all of the HD games to be HD on Dish (like they are with DirecTV and cable).
That is true, but when there are a lot of games on at the same time they are limited in what they can show. If they put more bandwidth towards RSNs to allow more games to be shown at one time it would use the same about of bandwidth as if they were full time anyway

DISH used to be considerably less expensive than DIRECTV. No longer. I have been investigating going back to DISH because of the high bills from DIRECT and discovered that a comparable package, including number of channels, HD access and DVR for 3 TVs is about $15 higher on DIRECTV, after the promotional honeymoon ends. That wasn't enough for me to switch because DISH does not carry channels I and my family watch frequently, including GOL TV, MLB Network, FX HD and FSE (available on DIRECT's Sports pack; on DISH only by purchasing an additional-cost Spanish package). Would not be enough to offset the gain of WGN and Travel Channel in HD. Plus, DISH's well-known reputation for allowing channels, including locals, to disappear while trying to negotiate the best rates turned me off.
They now carry FXHD

If you like sports go to DirectTV and leave Dish alone. I donot want to pay more for YOUR sports.
How are you paying more for sports? You do not have to pay for the sports packages if you do not sub for them. If you think that the price for every sub will go up if Dish adds more sports packages, then compare prices between Dish and Direct. When you compare comparable packages between Dish and Direct, they are not much different. When you start adding packages and equipment Direct is actually cheaper.

Last edited:
The issue isn't necessarily full time HD RSN's. It's receiving all of the HD RSN games on Dish. I, for one, don't care if my HD RSN is full time or not, I just want all of the HD games to be HD on Dish (like they are with DirecTV and cable).

:eureka::eureka::eureka::up

yeah well that's MLB, not Dish

Actually, it is Dish. I have emails from customer support saying that I should be getting the Braves games. I should only the Reds games if I sign up for the sports pack, which I am not subscribed too. Getting them to do anything about it is another story though...

DISH and Comcast Sports California settled their dispute late yesterady, just in time to show the A's and Royals game last night. Glad to see that dispute resolved fairly quickly. :)

its not going to matter soon anyways. the way i figure it, once the majority of dish users hop on the sling wagon when the 922 is released, we will find games being slung all over.

DISH and Comcast Sports California settled their dispute late yesterady, just in time to show the A's and Royals game last night. Glad to see that dispute resolved fairly quickly. :)
Is that what THAT was about? I noticed the day before Dish had the game scheduled in SD and JIP mode in HD. Then yesterday it was gone in HD, and the guide had CSNCA SD as off-air!

Ya gotta link?

Is that what THAT was about? I noticed the day before Dish had the game scheduled in SD and JIP mode in HD. Then yesterday it was gone in HD, and the guide had CSNCA SD as off-air!

Ya gotta link?
OT: Pretty dramatic win for the Giants last night. Went to bed when the Giants were down by a run with 2 outs and no on in the bottom of the ninth. Looked at the scores this morning and was shocked when I found out they won.

OT: Pretty dramatic win for the Giants last night. Went to bed when the Giants were down by a run with 2 outs and no on in the bottom of the ninth. Looked at the scores this morning and was shocked when I found out they won.
It's not too late to dump the Dodgers and DirecTV.:D

Giants on now in HD no JIP, you should be getting it DK, I think.

How are you paying more for sports? You do not have to pay for the sports packages if you do not sub for them. If you think that the price for every sub will go up if Dish adds more sports packages, then compare prices between Dish and Direct. When you compare comparable packages between Dish and Direct, they are not much different. When you start adding packages and equipment Direct is actually cheaper.

I agree. Don't buy the package ifyou don't want it but some of us want it but can't buy it because Dish is just too cheap and not creative enough to make things work for sports fans. Again the Directv red button feature is so simple yet it is a great feature that Dish should use since you can't just tune into all the different sports games.
Also, I feel that Dish is over charging for many things such as the DVR feature, with Directv you pay just one DVR rate no matter how many DVR's you have. If you have 3 DVR's on Dish you are paying $18 more dollars in addition to your package prices!

I believe the contract that DISH and CSN signed includes HD games. I had to go home at lunchtime, and I checked on my guide. Tonight's game is in HD, and it shows it being available. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts