dish and the RSN's

That same uplink also possibly indicates preparation for yet another dispute between Dish and NBC. OTA guide mapping has been removed from the satellite-delivered versions of some NBC O&O affiliates and Telemundo stations. Separate guide data streams have been uplinked for the OTA channels instead. Dish is testing mapping a national feed of Telemundo East to a local channel number in the Washington, DC market. So, maybe things were not as amicable between Dish and NBC as we had assumed when the NBC Sports RSN's were removed. Or perhaps that deal between Dish and NBC (allowing the RSN removal) was contingent on Dish not carrying (nor planning to continue carrying) any other RSN's. So, movement on a deal with Bally Sports voids Dish's deal with NBC, creating a ripple effect...

Or Sinclair could just go and buy the NBC Sports RSN's :biggrin (Granted, I am not sure this would make it past the regulators)

Or Sinclair could just go and buy the NBC Sports RSN's :biggrin (Granted, I am not sure this would make it past the regulators)
Well, at one point they were all branded as Fox Sports Nets, when they were owned by a company as large as Fox, so it is possible. Yes, I know the ownership was a little more complicated than that, with Fox and Comcast co-owning many of the RSN's in various percentages. When they split, each company simply bought out the other company's share for the specific channels they ended up with, and they went their separate ways. Still, due to the common Fox Sports branding (until they split) it created the public perception that they were all owned and controlled by the same company.

Well, Dish is definitely doing something to Telemundo, based on today's uplinks. Tags are being added to, and removed from, both Telemundo East and West, left and right.
The result of these changes was apparently to add Telemundo East and West to AT250. I am not sure if any other packages gained these channels, nor do I know if this is just a temporary move to prepare for the upcoming Olympics coverage.

Looks like NHL network has something done to it
Yes, Dish seems to be testing a way of streaming the channels (in addition to, or perhaps in place of, the satellite-delivered versions) hence the SVOD (Streaming Video On Demand) versions of the channels that were just removed. Apparently, the "+xA9" tacked on at the end of the regular channel numbers will now accomplish the same thing, whenever that functionality actually gets released.
Whatever Dish did to NHL Network, this week it is the Disney-owned channels' turn:

In the same uplink, Fox-owned channels are now testing as SVOD. So, I expect this same type of change to happen to them next.

Yes, Dish seems to be testing a way of streaming the channels (in addition to, or perhaps in place of, the satellite-delivered versions) hence the SVOD (Streaming Video On Demand) versions of the channels that were just removed. Apparently, the "+xA9" tacked on at the end of the regular channel numbers will now accomplish the same thing, whenever that functionality actually gets released.

I’ve been wondering what all the SVOD uplinks being tested are intended for. And I can only come up with a few ideas:

1) Dish Anywhere live stream channels (does that require an uplink, though?)

2) Possible streaming version of Dish, akin to AT&T TV, that uses a Hopper X type device.

3) Satellite backup streams for when weather or adverse conditions prohibit line of sight.

What else could Dish be doing with all of them??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Charlie has made it pretty clear that Dish has moved on. If Sinclair ties the RSN's to their O&O stations at renewal time though, that could open up a whole new can of worms...

It looks like the Dish/Sinclair agreement ends on August 15. Someone in the earnings call the other day asked about the Dish contract expiring and Sinclair's CEO confirmed that it expires on August 15.

It looks like the Dish/Sinclair agreement ends on August 15. Someone in the earnings call the other day asked about the Dish contract expiring and Sinclair's CEO confirmed that it expires on August 15.

Wonder how negotiations are going! I hope we get the spots channels back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts