Dish announced price increases, your thoughts for DirecTV...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I suspect D* will raise their prices about as much as E*. I also suspect they prefer to be just a bit more expensive than E*, in general, to give the impression of being more of a "premium" service. Remember the publicity they put out when they said they were going for a higher class of subscriber, or a subscriber with greater credit worthiness?

Easy to wait until word gets out, even if it's close to 3/1/09, to make any decisions on moving. Moving is always a hassle. Of course, I'm sticking with Dish and their ViP DVRs, but I can see the appeal to others that value different aspects more than me. I place little value on sports, for example. But there are plenty that prefer to get more sports, or even the $unday Ticket, and that makes D* more appealing to them.

I expect my bill to rise $3 to $10. But if it's more, I'll have to look at downgrading. But not moving. Dish has a good hook in their ViP receivers, for as long as that lasts, and especially in their external storage. I'd have a HUGE amount of watching or recording (in SD) if I chose to move to D*. Frankly, I'd be more likely to move to Fios, if it came down to it. Others will have different choices to face. After the treatment I received in my previous subscription to the local cableco, I'd go to Netflix, Blockbuster, and the library before I'd ever go back to cable. Others have had different experiences.

We'll all see price increases, even if inflation nears zero. It seems Hollywood is the truly greedy party here. All the pay TV companies will have to raise prices, even in these hard times, as their expenses (payments to content providers) rise. But I suspect the negotiations will get tougher, and some channels will fall by the wayside for some providers, especially a few locals.

Will locals even survive 5 or 10 years?
Technology marches on.

While I agree with much of what your saying ....
The local networks are going NOWHERE in the next 5-10 years.
Many/most rely on the locals to keep them informed for news local and national as well as local weather.
Remember, the Networks have been there since the beginning ...
Hell, 85% of my viewing/recordings is on networks.
I was eternally grateful for the day /week that D* activated the OTA on the HR20 DVR's back in '06.

Jimbo

I agree that moving is always a hassle, but when you are paying for HD locals that delay everytime that you flip to them on Dish it's almost worth the hassle and we only got 3 of the big 4 still missing FOX - HD and it's almost bowl season again!!! Plus here in Oklahoma FOX Sports has added Fox Sports Net Oklahoma and it's not availble on Dish. It is only shown on the alternate sports channels and is never in the same place twice in a row. On Directv I believe it has it's own channel 679?? Granted most of the programming is fed by Fox Sports Net South West, but when the Thunder or Oklahoma High School sports are on FSN Oklahoma takes over. Sounds like I have almost made my decision.

I guess what will be the point for us when we have to drop down and change programming. From what I see with dish and from what we may expect to see from Directv when do you start to look for other altenatives for entertainment, which is a funny statement because I think the cable/sat companies I believe have seen this economy as a way to materailize on what is currently going on today.

I belive they view it as, well people are staying home more, so while they are staying home, lets raise rates to higher levels. I hope they dont think this, as I think this can be a great time to focus on customer retention with the economy and still operate as a business to make money

Its hard to ask this question, becouse you cant really assume what people have. We have a wide spectrum of folks on this site that have the family pacakge, while some have premier with all the features

For me, I am not sure what level will make me change programing. I have been with Directv for a some years now. My package is around $78.00 or so, includes HD and DVR's, but not the special HD package of 5 or six channels, with no movie channels. I am guessing after the price increase I will be over the 80 mark

I guess we shall see what 09 brings

Well if they apply the increase consistantly across ALL packages, INCLUDING the grandfathered TC packages, it won't be so bad for me. I'm still on TC+, which currently is $3 LESS than Choice+ & gives you 1 channel MORE than Choice+. So as long as they do not discontinue these grandfathered packages, then I can't complain too much - particularly since I also have lifetime DVR service, which also cushions these increases a little. :D

While nobody likes increases, it's better than what DISH subs are getting hit for, & WAY better than I could even think of getting from Comcast - particularly since I have 5 DVR's on my account. :eek:

Well if they apply the increase consistantly across ALL packages, INCLUDING the grandfathered TC packages, it won't be so bad for me. I'm still on TC+, which currently is $3 LESS than Choice+ & gives you 1 channel MORE than Choice+. So as long as they do not discontinue these grandfathered packages, then I can't complain too much - particularly since I also have lifetime DVR service, which also cushions these increases a little. :D

While nobody likes increases, it's better than what DISH subs are getting hit for, & WAY better than I could even think of getting from Comcast - particularly since I have 5 DVR's on my account. :eek:

I agree on the comcast issue....Comcast in our area does not even come close with Dish or Directv

I'm (obviously) pro-technology, so how about:

a $10 uptick, but drop either the DVR or HD Extra pack fee.

I'm (obviously) pro-technology, so how about:

a $10 uptick, but drop either the DVR or HD Extra pack fee.

humm.....The HD Extra pack fee?? That would be nice, if they changed things up, but added Extra pack

I'm switching from Dish to DirecTV based partially on price. For a relatively equal programming package (oh darn, I'll lose those 10 shop-at-home channels!) plus a few national HD that I wanted (Fox News, Speed, FX just to name a few) and all of my big four locals in HD (instead of just 2) I'll be saving about $30 a month.

I'll hate leaving my ViP 722 behind, but it's worth it.

Add in my XBMC media server and I'm set!

I'm switching from Dish to DirecTV based partially on price. For a relatively equal programming package (oh darn, I'll lose those 10 shop-at-home channels!) plus a few national HD that I wanted (Fox News, Speed, FX just to name a few) and all of my big four locals in HD (instead of just 2) I'll be saving about $30 a month.

Who would have thought we would see the day when Directv....Costs less then Dish

I am right behind you. I just ordered Directv. I hate that I have to wait until Jan. 17 for the install, but I know it will be well worth the wait. I will get my big 4 in HD instead of 3 that do not work 100% of the time. Plus even if Directv does go up some I can justify it since there are more HD channels. Pretty sad when someone promises 150 by the end of the year, and can not full fill that. Plus the locals are dropping like flies, and there are more shopping channels than locals in any market!!!

I just ordered Directv. I hate that I have to wait until Jan. 17 for the install, but I know it will be well worth the wait.

Go to the DirecTV web site and sign up your account for access. Then go to the pending orders section and see if you can reschedule for an earlier date, sometimes the site has earlier dates. Just keep trying every couple days, you might get lucky.

Oh, and welcome to the dark side;)

I wouldn't go running to Directv just yet to avoid the DISH Network price increase!

I heard the price increase is going to be just as bad with Directv!

Claude, I dont doubt you would have some inside info, or that D* will raise prices (thats a given), but do you have any links for this?

Go to the DirecTV web site and sign up your account for access. Then go to the pending orders section and see if you can reschedule for an earlier date, sometimes the site has earlier dates. Just keep trying every couple days, you might get lucky.

Oh, and welcome to the dark side;)

I'm so excitied I did check back to see if I could reschedule and I got 12/28/08. At least I'll be able to see the bowl games on FOX in HD.:D

Hasn't DirecTV raised their prices almost every March for the last several years?

It's just MHO, but any announced price increases will be much easier to stomach if they are accompanied or preceeded by announcements of 5-10 new national HD channels. If the increase is as much as Dish's then it might take 10-15 new channels to make it tolerable...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)