DISH Announces New Leadership Assignments, Promotions

I just don't understand why you perpetuate the King of fees thing when you know Directv fees are higher and makes their cost higher, and I can tell you from just getting Brighthouse cable and checking their TV costs that their TV fees are outrageous.

You can disagree with my opinion all you want. It doesn't change my idea that this change in the fee structure in 2010 is when DISH turned from the Low priced leader concerned about it's customer's wallets, to a greedy company more concerned about it's bottom line more. A $17.00 fee for a second 622/722/722k receiver was highway robbery. I had three of these receivers back then and had to get rid of two and go with 211ks in order to save the extra $20.00 a month fees I would of had , if I had stayed with all vip dvr receivers. I wasn't happy when I bought a second hopper at $7.00 a month and had it go up to $12.00 either. Had to trade in the second hopper for a super joey . Not to mention the Dvr fee has gone from $7.00 to $10.00 and now $12.00 for the hopper. I find all these extra fees one of the main reasons DISH is losing subs now. When I pay $29.00 a month to have a hopper , a super joey, joey receivers on my account, which is higher than the welcome pack at $19.99 and $5.00 less than the Smart pack at $34.99 , it is nothing but greed to me. You will never convince me that I am wrong on this one and I don't care what Directv or cable is charging in the way of fees, it doesn't make it any better because DISH is stooping to the same level as them ,but only a little cheaper a month than them. DISH should operate better than the competition ,not just like them.

The facts don't agree with your opinion. Greedy? They have the lowest profit margin of any major MVPD. Where the greed comes in is with the content owners.

Reactions: Tampa8
The facts don't agree with your opinion. Greedy? They have the lowest profit margin of any major MVPD. Where the greed comes in is with the content owners.
Like I said to Tampa, you won't convince me that I am wrong ,regardless of the facts you present. DISH made a conscious decision to "not leave money on the table" as Charlie put it, and start hiking all their fees. When they did this change on the Vip and other class receivers in 2010 and then hike the 2nd hopper fee in 2013 or 14 , they decided that the bottom line was more important than their "low priced leader" mantle that they have been hawking since they began. So to me they will always be the KING OF FEES. Just because the competition does it ,doesn't mean that DISH should do it too. As evidenced by the continual loss in subs just about every quarter for the last few years. Looks like a lot of subs agree, with their decision to leave DISH and go to the other guys or cut the cord entirely.

Reactions: Troch77
"Regardless of the facts..." I admit hard to make an argument when facts play no role. In a VIP install, still most homes have that over a Hopper, with Directv you pay a $15 charge AND pay for the first receiver another $6 (I believe it is $6). That install with DISH and a vip receiver is $7 total v $21 with Directv. Live in the now many areas where Directv has an RSN fee added on, and you pay another $2 to $3 a month, not with DISH. So you can make proclamations but the facts say otherwise. You can add two more DVR receivers and still pay less in fees.
It's Directv whose business plan penalizes the most people, they know that most homes have less than four receivers, so they charge them significantly more than DISH to get the most profit. DISH charges the least to the most common household, three or less receivers.
New technology is very different, and I don't blame a company to charge more for the latest and greatest as long as there is still the lesser cost alternative. In some ways I would like to have the Hopper set-up, but the reliability and far less cost than just about any other provider/alternative I would have short of cutting the cord keeps me with the VIP.
Your take is the Fees charged by DISH, even though less than the competition is why they are losing subs. My take is they would lose more subs in the age of cutting the cord if they really did have higher fees like Directv, who by the way has only 3,000 more U.S. subscribers than DISH than they did from many years ago. (6,000 total but had 3,000 more from many years back) Possibly the Sunday Ticket factor? If not for the higher fees Directv has maybe they would have even more subscribers.

As an aside, even the promotional cost with Brighthouse who I just checked their specials would be MORE in fees than the ongoing DISH cost and judging from my neighbor's DVR receiver a step backwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: osu1991 and ChadT41
Like I said to Tampa, you won't convince me that I am wrong ,regardless of the facts you present. DISH made a conscious decision to "not leave money on the table" as Charlie put it, and start hiking all their fees. When they did this change on the Vip and other class receivers in 2010 and then hike the 2nd hopper fee in 2013 or 14 , they decided that the bottom line was more important than their "low priced leader" mantle that they have been hawking since they began. So to me they will always be the KING OF FEES. Just because the competition does it ,doesn't mean that DISH should do it too. As evidenced by the continual loss in subs just about every quarter for the last few years. Looks like a lot of subs agree, with their decision to leave DISH and go to the other guys or cut the cord entirely.
Admit it, you're still chapped that Dish suckered you into that artificially low $7 additional Hopper fee and then adjusted it to $12. Many of us knew that a 2nd Hopper would not stay at the same price as a Joey for long.

Some dish big wigs will be on a retailer chat tomorrow. 1 of the topics will be "Upcoming changes to Offers, Pricing and Equipment".

Reactions: Troch77
I just think it's PATHETIC how a press release about promotions evolves into what we have here, now.

Admit it, you're still chapped that Dish suckered you into that artificially low $7 additional Hopper fee and then adjusted it to $12. Many of us knew that a 2nd Hopper would not stay at the same price as a Joey for long.
HELL yes! I was pissed that they pulled the old bait and switch routine with the second hopper. I put out the money for a second one and got used to having it and then they changed the damn policy hiking it by $5.00 a month. Once again Charlie decided that they were" leaving money on the table" ,compared to the Vip receiver additional fee was $17.00 a month. This and the earlier Vip additional receiver fee hike chapped my butt and proved to me that DISH no longer had any intention of being the Low Priced leader any longer. IT was all about padding that bottom line with more DISH , charge it because we can , FEES. This decisions have helped pave the way for more sub losses .The other was the yearly price extortion from the channel companies themselves.

I just think it's PATHETIC how a press release about promotions evolves into what we have here, now.
Well, consider WHO took it to that low level and still won't "shushsy" (as the formerly late Shirley Ghostmas used to say) on the off-topic matter, as usual.

Back on topic: I think this new exec shuffle is so that Charlie can leave the day to day duties required of Dish to someone else, and he wants to return to focusing on the big, long-term future for the company: Wireless and what he plans to do. If it weren't for that, Charlie would still be CEO. The only times he has ever handed over his CEO duties is when he needed to focus on the big picture. But, yes, Charlie will still be the ONE involved with content costs have final word on any deal with content providers/owners. It's still and always will be Charlie who talks to Bob Iger, Les Moonves, and the rest of the cabal.

This is utter fantasy on my part, but I think the best thing would be Dish providing the bandwidth and Amazon providing the phone. Both companies can get where they want. The only reason Amazon's phone failed was because it was exclusive to AT&T and its rotten service. That was a Jeff Bezos mistake. AT&T probably dumped a wheelbarrel of $$$ on his desk and Jeff looked at it as recouping some of his R&R and low pricing for the phone.

Amazon phone with Dish wireless. The whole venture could have one name or just put it under the Amazon name with access to live TV and DVR'd content with Dish, SlingTV, and Slingbox services using the high quality spectrum Dish has cobbled together. As good as that seems for both companies, that will probably never happen.

That's an interesting thought, Amazon and DISH, and not just for phone service, entertainment via Amazon as well as Sling TV wirelessly.

The Amazon phone failed because it was poorly designed, was centered around driving people to use more of Amazon's services (rather than providing a good user experience) and was too expensive for the specs.

Phone failed simply because there are better alternatives. Creating a device to consume content has been an absolute hit for them in the tablet/ereader space.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I still have Dish Network at my business, but realistically they really need to straighten out their HD Sports programming. They are missing some very big markets for sports networks. Secondly, why is Dish still refusing to carry a lot of RSN's in HD.
Totally agree about the sport's markets. Especially in my area. Because they refuse to carry Root Sports I can't see any of the local professional sports teams (except NFL). Some might say it's a small market they are loosing but I know a lot of business like sports bars, restaurants, and such that dropped Dish and went with Direct TV which does carry Root. That has to be a concern to them. If not then they need new management.

There was an opposite reaction in Az. DTV does not carry Pac12 and Dish does, so a lot of places either dropped DTV or have both services.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts