Dish announces price increase

In five years will SD programming even exist anymore? My money is on SD reruns shown on HD Channels, but SD-Only channels have to be dying, if not dead by then. And for the love of God let's hope people get over this stretching 4:3 to 16:9 hysteria by then. Pillarboxed people! COME ON!

Also you're unfortunately forgetting the oblivious masses that don't even realize they need a new box/different service/antenna to get HD programming. Cognitive Dissonance in conjunction with the $1500 they just dropped on a new TV and people can really fool themselves into thinking that 4:3 stretched SD looks siiiiiiiiiiiiick. They don't know any better and the little kid at Best Buy sure didn't help explain it. Good thing he sold them on that $120 HDMI Monster cable though cause it does have "more pixels." :rolleyes:

How long was it before color TV stations stopped airing black & white programs again?

Color TV program debut 1956.
Color TV full time in prime time 1966 (1965 for NBC & CBS)
Last TV new american TV daytime show to switch to all color 1972.
Last local Cicinnati news program to use B&W film for some news events 1976. (When WKRC wiped the floor with everyone else in ratings with the brand new ENG "The Edge" color video tape during the Beverly Hills Supper Club fire in Southgate, KY.

Last time rerun of back & white TV show seen on TV. Still happening (2008).
Library of TV shows in B&W, 3 networks (4 if you count Dumont) for 17 years (1948-1965)

Regular HDTV programming debut 1999.
Networks to go all HDTV in Prime Time -- none so far.
Number of networks producing new programming is SD at present time, 7 broadcast, several dozen (at the very least) on cable.

Size of network library of SD programs, 60 years.

The transition to "all HD" will take more than just a few years. :)

I see big 4 and PBS network TV being all HD during prime time within a few years. I do not see everyone going HD and just dropping all the reruns anywhere near in 5 years. And I am not even addressing the bandwidth issue!

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)