Dish answer to multiple hoppers

Also IMO, it is worth getting the USB over the air (OTA) tuner. Dish no longer sells it directly, I bought mine off Amazon.

Dish does sell the USB OTA tuner directly (that's where I got mine), and for the best price you will find. $30 from Dish, $32.50 from Amazon, and I can't find one for less than $39 on eBay (buy it now). Even Solid Signal asks $37.99.

And regardless what the CSR told you, Dish will not allow you to install a second Hopper in a second home on the same account. You are allowed to transfer your Hopper(s) from one location to another, but you cannot have active receivers in different locations at the same time on one account (with the exception of a 211 for tailgating).

The "old" dishes and DPP44 switch will also work just fine with a Hopper system. You just have to have an additional item in there now - the Node. And if you are using a DPP44 switch, the node should be on outputs 2 and 3 (and 4 for a duo node), and the power inserter by itself on output 1.

And yes, the information at the beginning of this thread is very much outdated. Multiple hoppers and the 'less-than-one-Joey-per-Hopper' installs have been available for some time now.

I tried to sign up one day I asked for 2 hoppers (1 original hopper and 1 hopper with sling) and no joeys, did this through dish chat online, Don't know if they still do this through Dish.

Dish does sell the USB OTA tuner directly (that's where I got mine), and for the best price you will find. $30 from Dish, $32.50 from Amazon, and I can't find one for less than $39 on eBay (buy it now). Even Solid Signal asks $37.99. And regardless what the CSR told you, Dish will not allow you to install a second Hopper in a second home on the same account. You are allowed to transfer your Hopper(s) from one location to another, but you cannot have active receivers in different locations at the same time on one account (with the exception of a 211 for tailgating). The "old" dishes and DPP44 switch will also work just fine with a Hopper system. You just have to have an additional item in there now - the Node. And if you are using a DPP44 switch, the node should be on outputs 2 and 3 (and 4 for a duo node), and the power inserter by itself on output 1. And yes, the information at the beginning of this thread is very much outdated. Multiple hoppers and the 'less-than-one-Joey-per-Hopper' installs have been available for some time now.
When I had my system put in months ago, the dish CSR directly told me I'd have to buy the OTA tuner from a retailer. They didn't sell them directly anymore. I know this for sure, because 4 months before that my brother ordered a system from them and they did sell him one, and when I called the CSR said that recently changed that it had to be bought from a reseller. So if that is changed back that is fine. Either way I know what I was told and had to order my own from Amazon. Or, as usual with all the misinformation we Dish fans get -- Dish's CSR's could be confused as usual as to what upper management has changed in their policy that month :-D

Good info on the switch and the Node. That is what I have setup. 2 wires coming down from dish into the node then one into the hopper.

Ok, so if they don't allow a second hopper in a second home (which I was told they allowed just 4 weeks ago over the phone), will they allow Hopper in main home, the 211 on camping trailer, and a 722 at second home?

Last edited:
CSR lied, log in to dish.com go to their store you'll see it. The rep lied because what the real deal is it doesn't give you/them the option to buy the Hopper OTA until you have Hopper(s) on your account.

Can't have any ViP receivers on Hopper accounts (other than a single, owned 211k.) Using receivers at two different homes at the same time is referred to as account stacking. If you are caught doing this all but the primary receiver on the account will be disabled. Dish has recently started to audit homes they suspect could be stacking. Your only option is using the 211k temporarily or bringing a receiver back and forth between homes and not using receivers at the same time in the two different homes. Only way around these limitations are two accounts.

Last edited:
3Halo: Hilarious. A different rep each time, a different answer each time. :) Thanks for proving me (or the information I was given) wrong. No biggie. I paid about the same price for the OTA.

Last edited:
Dish now allows multiple Hoppers. Second home, campers, etc.

Can't have any ViP receivers on Hopper accounts (other than a single, owned 211k.) Using receivers at two different homes at the same time is referred to as account stacking. If you are caught doing this all but the primary receiver on the account will be disabled. Dish has recently started to audit homes they suspect could be stacking. Your only option is using the 211k temporarily or bringing a receiver back and forth between homes and not using receivers at the same time in the two different homes. Only way around these limitations are two accounts.
3HaloODST, It isn't considered account stacking when you are the owner of the other property. (a summer cabin/vacation home/etc) - Funny you should mention "Dish has recently started auditing..." Maybe you mean "has recently re-started or bumped up their ongoing auditing) I was audited about 7 years ago over the phone. If I remember right I had 5 or 6 Dish 500's on my account back when our kids lived with us. 1 bedroom, 1 office, 1 living room, 1 kids room, 1 in my shop (often swapped into camper - technically located at a different address but within walking distance). The audit department asked me go from room to room reading off some code from each dish and asking me to define where in the house the receiver was located. Funny thing is we have a wiring closet, so they were all located "in the closet" and on channel modulators fed via coax to every TV in the house. So basically, I just sat at one TV an went from channel 22, 24, 26, 28, 30 reading off the code they wanted. The tech actually said "Wow, you keep all 5 in a closet and modulate the channel around the house? No one does that, that is pretty cool. :)"

Anyway, there were five inside the house, and I told them the walk to the shop would take 1 minute and they didn't like that (It was actually installed on the camper trailer at that time but I used to take it out and plug it into another dish on the shop roof) - so they said, well we can't verify this camper unit so we'll have to cancel it. I said "ok listen, I'm going to keep you on the line, walk over, start the camper and pull it out of the shop, turn on the mini auto-aiming dish so you can hear it and give you the code of the screen". After that they cleared it. So they've been auditing for a very long time. Since then our kids have moved out, and dual+ tuner DVR's have come along so we only want 2 Hoppers (1 house, 1 shop) and the 211 we leave in the camper trailer.

Also on that note, I know a friend of mine has a 722 at home and a 722 in their cabin in the hills and they legally own the cabin. They actually called Dish to schedule the appt explaining the cabin was a second home and Dish had no problem with it. Maybe they have some database to look up actual owner of an address to prevent user A from installing on friends house B? They even plugged it into their cabin's phone line which I know the receivers call in on those, but they were ok with it.
Or tell the tech to activate them, but not install them.
The installer didn't even have to do that. He just called his company (or maybe it was Dish) and said "Hopper installed. Joey wasn't needed, so take that off the install order".

Last edited:
3HaloODST, It isn't considered account stacking when you are the owner of the other property. (a summer cabin/vacation home/etc)
Actually, they still consider it account stacking. I was just at a training where they covered it.

The installer didn't even have to do that. He just called his company (or maybe it was Dish) and said "Hopper installed. Joey wasn't needed, so take that off the install order".
He would have gotten more points to activate and have you send it back. ;)

Actually, they still consider it account stacking. I was just at a training where they covered it. He would have gotten more points to activate and have you send it back. ;)
Heh - well when they called to survey how good of job he did I gave him a 10 across the board, because he figured out the LNB/switch stuff instantly and took the time to point the dish to the best possible signal, so maybe I at least gave him some kudo points with his boss :p

As for that still being considered account stacking, I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules here by stating this, but this isn't a rule I'm going to follow. I own both properties and no one else lives at the second one, it is my home away from home and I want a better receiver for it. I'm most certainly not going to spend another $70/mo to put a separate account on my own property when I'm the only one watching it. We've been a loyal dish customer for 15 years and their prices just keep going up. I'm going to call them once ready for the 2nd Hopper install and go over it again with them again. They said I could do it, so I guess we'll see once they put the order in the system for the installer.

I am unclear if the second location is on the same property or not. If on the same property many have separate installs in a shop or garage etc. However I am very interested to see if they follow through and install and activate a second Hopper System at a separate location on a separate property on the same account. My money says no if they know that. That is account stacking.

I am unclear if the second location is on the same property or not. If on the same property many have separate installs in a shop or garage etc. However I am very interested to see if they follow through and install and activate a second Hopper System at a separate location on a separate property on the same account. My money says no if they know that. That is account stacking.

A second building on the same property (garage/barn) is fine as far as I know.

Even people that had a receiver in their garage have been accused of stacking and receivers shut off.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Is it OK if a Joey in the garage connected to the same Dish antenna, phone line, and same internet OK?

To clarify, the real problem is that when they were audited, they couldn't get to the garage fast enough, so the audit Nazis shut them down.

With multiple Hoppers connected to each other and internet connections being the standard I suspect audits probably are not nearly as necessary as they once were.

Yes, stating the obvious but how often can I post in a thread that's almost 1.5 years old. :)

Before we moved I was accused for having a 622 in the pool house. :no

While I have heard that from others. We install in garages/barns/sheds/pool houses quite often. And we've never been told it isn't okay.

Probably all because one part of the company is on one page and another part is on something else completely different.

I didn't have any problems last February when I changed over to the Hopper/Joey system from VIP722ks. I just called up Dish CSR and told them I wanted four HWSs and one Joey. He said that another department will call me back later in the day. Received a call from the Hopper Executive Resolutions department and they fixed me up. I had two purchased HWSs from DishDepot.com waiting on the technician when he showed up with another two HWSs and one Joey. He wasn't real sure how to connect it all up so I told him what I had learned from fellow support member 3Halo0DST in this forum and showed him what to do. Everything works great.

charlesrshell,

Just out of curiosity, from one of your HWSs, can you see the programs on every HWS, or are you limited to only the other HWS connected to the same duo node? In other words, does the Whole Home Network connect between the two duo nodes?

Thanks,
Dave

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts