Dish antenna mount - is there a better one available?

jpmarto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
E. of Seattle
I've been with Dish forever, but after all this time I still have a hard time adjusting the antennas. Just this weekend I had to readjust one for a neighbor whose antenna got knocked out of alignment -- no way she could afford a service call so I volunteered, but I digress. No matter how I try to adjust the up/down, the antenna always twists as I tighten it. Even left/right is hit and miss as it always seems to bind up as you adjust it. I get it close, but never at the highest signal strength I found. Is there a mount out there that can be adjusted with a worm gear or some vernier-type arrangement that can be accurately tweaked?

jpmarto said:
I've been with Dish forever, but after all this time I still have a hard time adjusting the antennas. Just this weekend I had to readjust one for a neighbor whose antenna got knocked out of alignment -- no way she could afford a service call so I volunteered, but I digress. No matter how I try to adjust the up/down, the antenna always twists as I tighten it. Even left/right is hit and miss as it always seems to bind up as you adjust it. I get it close, but never at the highest signal strength I found. Is there a mount out there that can be adjusted with a worm gear or some vernier-type arrangement that can be accurately tweaked?

Are you talking about the part that the dish sits on that is screwed or attatched to the roof/house (mast)? Or part of the dish that attatches to the reflector (polar plate)?

Sounds like he is talking about the elevation bolts.

Thanks all for the replies. Here in the PNW one needs to have a strong signal. I find it relatively easy to to get the mounting mast perfectly vertical. I was speaking of the adjustments for the antenna base itself, and the two elevation bolts are the most problematic. I can never get the right tension to still allow for movement, but not to fall down as one side or the other is tightened, and that's the point at which the antenna twists off the optimum point. I've been looking to trade my dual antennas for a single unit, so perhaps the 1K.4 is the ticket - thanks for the tip TimberWolf!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)