Dish antenna question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Don_S

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
Hi all,

I recently had a Dish network satellite system installed (Superdish, 811 and 311). So far I like the 811 (warts and all). My question has really nothing to do with my setup.. I'm not even sure if it is satellite-TV related. So please bear with me on this one.

Anyways, since I had my system installed, I've become more "aware" of satellite dish antennae when I'm driving around town. I've noticed a couple of dish antennae that are neither Dish network nor DirecTV. They are elliptical (but smaller than the Superdish) and have a vertical LNB-like thingy. But the most interesting thing about these is that they point downwards (at the ground and not up at the sky). So I'm guessing they are not satellite dish antennae. Anyone have any idea what they might be?

ROFL, sorry dont mean to laugh, its just I know EXACTLY what you are seeing, these things you are seing are Wireless Internet Dishes, most commonly by Motorola Canopy, its called an extended range dish and the radio is mounted where a normal LNB would be located and "bouncing" off the dish to the tower its pointing at. I believe a company called trango may also be making these now as well, I know this info because I am the Engineering Manager for a wireless ISP. The dishes do in fact look like they are pointing down to the ground, but actually the signal is being bounced up at it.

Thanks for the reply...looks like that's one mystery solved! :D

So, if these are wireless internet dishes, are they receive only or two-way?

They are two way, they are pointing at a tower somewhere in your area. Unlike Satelite Internet, Wireless doesnt have the same latency issues and weather fade if engineered correctly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)