Dish Anywhere & a Blu Ray player

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tomboy257

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
Here & Now
I want to get a Blu Ray player with streaming capabilities to stream some of the channels to my TV. Any suggestions? I currently stream programs I can't watch live because of scheduling conflicts thru my laptop, but its a hassle hooking up an extra HDMI cable each time.

I never use the streaming apps on my BD. Roku is my go to device (or Roku Stick). WAY more versatile.

Reactions: navychop
No, there is no Roku app. There is an android app and iOS app. I am not familiar with a Chromecast, but if you have an AppleTV and an iPhone you can stream from your iPhone to AppleTV via AirPlay.

There is no way to use a BD player to stream from DISH Anywhere. Virtual Joey support ($) may be available at some point as it is with the PS3 and PS4.

There are a few more options with a Slingbox (including phones, tablets, Roku, Fire Stick and Chromecast), but again, nothing for blu-ray players.

DISH Anywere was never intended to be an alternative to an STB.

What is an STB? I'm to cheap to get a DVR or Hopper, and all I want to do is be able to stream a program I miss because of scheduling conflicts. I can do that with Dish Anywhere and my laptop, but it is a pain in the but to connect to the TV every time.

What is an STB?
Google (not Yahoo or Bing) could be your friend in cases like this -- try it out.
I'm to cheap to get a DVR or Hopper, and all I want to do is be able to stream a program I miss because of scheduling conflicts.
It is likely time for you to bite the bullet and get a DVR if TV is interfering with your life. The pain and suffering you'll recognize in hindsight will have you kicking yourself.

Reactions: KAB
How can you use Dish Anywhere without a DVR, I thought that the Sling Adapter would only work with a 722 series or Hopper 2000. How are you using Dish Anywhere without a 722, 922, or Hopper?

How can you use Dish Anywhere without a DVR, I thought that the Sling Adapter would only work with a 722 series or Hopper 2000. How are you using Dish Anywhere without a 722, 922, or Hopper?
You're forgetting like I always do that DISH Anywhere has the ability to stream on demand programming not just programming from a sling enabled DISH receiver.

By logging into my dish account on my laptop I'm able to go to Dish Anywhere and then networks and stream programs. In doing that I'm using my TV as the screen of my laptop by way of an HDMI cable. Its this connection I'm trying to do away with.

By logging into my dish account on my laptop I'm able to go to Dish Anywhere and then networks and stream programs. In doing that I'm using my TV as the screen of my laptop by way of an HDMI cable. Its this connection I'm trying to do away with.
Well, that is just not going to happen...for now, at least. Wire Required!

Sounds like you want something like previously mentioned. Ipad+AppleTV via Airplay. That would be my recommendation, but I hate windows and android based products(except computers, I hate Apple computers. I am too use to Microsoft and the order things are in).

You can invest in a Slingbox that will stream your Dish box just as if you were at home. Be aware that with a Slingbox, you will be interrupting any viewing by those at home who want to use the same Dish box that you have the Slingbox connected to. You can view the Slinged (streamed) content on a PC, laptop, and mobile device. You have full control and access to your Dish box just as if you were at home. A small remote control appears and it looks and operates just like at home. View using the Popup Player to avoid any ads.

Now, for viewing on at TV without any wires with Slingbox, you can do so by first accessing your Slingbox with your smartphone or tablet. Then you can command it to stream to the TV via the Roku or other device that has the FREE Sling app. You can now use your phone to control the box at home, but the content is playing on the TV. The Slinged content is now being sent from the Dish box to the TV directly from the network, and the phone only functions as a remote. There is a way to Sling to Chromecast, as well. The Slingbox website has all the info. The Slingbox apps for mobile devices (tablets and phones) do cost a one-time price per mobile device. The SlingPlayer for laptop/PC is FREE. Some televisions might be supported so you don't have to connect a device to the TV, but I'm not certain of that, but you can check the Slingbox website.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)