Dish Anywhere and the Roku

Micallen

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2014
Does anyone use Dish Anywhere with their Roku? Does it work well?

As far as I know, Dish Anywhere does not work with Roku. You might be thinking of Dish's new Sling TV service which does work with Roku.

It would be a wonderful idea if Dish did come out with an app for Dish Anywhere. It would be extremely useful and I think that a lot of people would use it.

Reactions: Benyth
Uggh. The one good thing about TW Cable, was the app that let us watch TV on our Roku TV. I was kind of counting on that being available with Dish as well.

You can use Dish Anywhere with your Android or IOS phone or tablet, and it also works with PCs. If you have a laptop, you can connect its video output to a TV and watch it that way.

Do you have an AppleTV? You can use airplay and stream from the Dish app on your iPad/iPhone if you have an AppleTV.

Just to add...

Roku (or at least, the Roku 3) can mirror/stream any content from Android devices natively as well.

Yeah, those options are OK. Just not as "wife friendly" as the TW app on the Roku was. Looks like will have to go back to my first statement to her: "at least we'll have Netflix on that TV." Plus it has a rooftop antenna. Her problem is, she is a "flipper." She frequently watches 2-3 programs at once.

Make no mistake, I WILL go to Dish. Been without it for a few years now and miss it. And that was Pre-Hopper(722 I think it was).

Oh how we'd love a Dish Anywhere app for Roku in our house. Everyone has their own Roku plus one in the living room. Sadly, Dish is clueless here. This is actually one of the 2 huge reasons we're hardly using Dish anymore. The other is only being able to store one copy of recorded files. Look, if you're going to lock the drive to my account, fine... but let us make multiple copies. I'm really sick of spending years curating recordings only to lose it all due to a failed drive.

As a result, we watch the Plex (with its 12+ TB and 2-drive failure ability) far more than Dish. The day will come where we cancel our Dish account as a result unless Dish gets up with the times.

Reactions: Benyth
People would be able to reduce the number f receivers if this worked. I am not saying tht is the reason but it might be.

That is the most likely reason. It wouldn't make a lot of financial sense for them to spend money developing and supporting a Roku app when the sole purpose of that app would be to let people avoid paying Dish money in equipment fees for extra rooms.

It would also make account stacking much more convenient. No dish install required at the second location and no receivers to worry about in an audit. If Dish made a Roku app kids could just continue to use their parent's TV account when they move out. All they would have to do is pick up a cheap Roku and they would have a nice channel lineup with no monthly fees.

Yes, this same thing is possible by hooking up a PC to the TV or using Airplay to an Apple TV but a native Roku app would really streamline this for people.

Just to add...

Roku (or at least, the Roku 3) can mirror/stream any content from Android devices natively as well.

Didn't know that. That is interesting. I have only ever used iPhones and iPads, never any Android devices so I wasn't aware of that.

So a quick poll. If dish had a pay roku app, that was $7 per month to use, but it had to be on the same network(aka a virtual Joey) would you pay to use it?

So although only two people answered, there is absolutely no financial gain, and actually monetary loss to the company by doing that.

So a quick poll. If dish had a pay roku app, that was $7 per month to use, but it had to be on the same network(aka a virtual Joey) would you pay to use it?
No. I might pay once for the app, but once you start talking a reoccurring fee that cumulatively adds up year to year, then I factor that into the TCO of my being a Dish customer which only further hurts the equation at a time when they are seriously on the cusp of being kicked to the curb in this household. They might not like the concept that things like a Roku app might deprive them of the revenue of someone putting a Dish receiver by each TV, but at some point they need to accept the fact that it isn't the 1990s anymore, technology has evolved and so have user expectations. They can either modernize and come up with product offerings that can actually compete in 2015, or they can continue to be pushed into history like all other archaic and outdated technologies.

I already paid to record this content over my Dish subscription. I wish to leverage modern and typical technologies to access said content. If they continue to refuse to provide me a means to do so as a customer, then I'm going to continue to do so via other means, and when these other means further and further reduce my dependency on Dish then the writing is on the wall. And its their own fault for being techno-luddites.

No. I might pay once for the app, but once you start talking a reoccurring fee that cumulatively adds up year to year, then I factor that into the TCO of my being a Dish customer which only further hurts the equation at a time when they are seriously on the cusp of being kicked to the curb in this household. They might not like the concept that things like a Roku app might deprive them of the revenue of someone putting a Dish receiver by each TV, but at some point they need to accept the fact that it isn't the 1990s anymore, technology has evolved and so have user expectations. They can either modernize and come up with product offerings that can actually compete in 2015, or they can continue to be pushed into history like all other archaic and outdated technologies.

I already paid to record this content over my Dish subscription. I wish to leverage modern and typical technologies to access said content. If they continue to refuse to provide me a means to do so as a customer, then I'm going to continue to do so via other means, and when these other means further and further reduce my dependency on Dish then the writing is on the wall. And its their own fault for being techno-luddites.
They did come up with another alternative for those that want to use a ROKU. SlingTV. Now the argument is "I'll just get Netflix" or something along those lines, but either way, SlingTV is the only easy way to get linear programming OTT. So either way, they win. And the entire argument is defeated.

...Look, if you're going to lock the drive to my account, fine... but let us make multiple copies. ..."

Hook up a hardware RAID and you can get your two copies. Both locked to the account, of course. Or learn LINUX cloning.

Well I disagree with most all of that. They have plenty of technology you just don't want to pay for it. If watching at home without another receiver is what you want DISH offers that technology and more with no recurring fees. Get a DISH slingbox, and the now free app version, or get the WD Live streaming box with the built in Sling app and watch on any TV. Use a Smartphone or tablet and do the same casting to a TV in a variety of ways. And then with that system you can watch almost anywhere mobile or especially with the Fire TV Stick that connects in Hotels on the TV. I have been doing this for years, watching things I recorded upstairs on the down stairs large screen TV or catching live games while not at home.
BTW I would tell you to switch to Direct TV, Charter, Fios or a number of other providers but they are luddites too, not on the Roku. So your comment of it being a typical technology doesn't hold up,

On top of that, DISH makes it easy to take a receiver to a second location and use your account, as in a vacation home. No extra charge. With access to HBOGO and a host of other program apps either online or on streaming devices I think DISH has it covered.

They have plenty of technology you just don't want to pay for it. If watching at home without another receiver is what you want DISH offers that technology and more with no recurring fees. Get a DISH slingbox

I have one. But users' 12"-14" computer screens are pathetic to the 40"+ TVs they have.

or get the WD Live streaming box with the built in Sling app and watch on any TV.

The WD Live is hardly a viable or supported platform. It's flakey and outdated. The Roku is what's current. Promoting a WD Live Sling app is like promoting a Blackberry or Palm app. The issue here is Dish is not "modern" because they don't have a Sling app that can just stream directly from the Slingbox.

Use a Smartphone or tablet and do the same casting to a TV in a variety of ways. And then with that system you can watch almost anywhere
It's ridiculous that to stream from my DVR/Slingbox to a Roku requires yet an additional intermediate device. It shouldn't be necessary, and in this day and age it's unreasonable to require such a Rube Goldberg setup.

DISH makes it easy to take a receiver to a second location
You really thing moving the DVR from room to room every time someone wants to watch something is reasonable and a modern solution? What if 2 people want to watch something at once?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)