Dish Anywhere and the Roku

The WD Live is hardly a viable or supported platform. It's flakey and outdated. The Roku is what's current. Promoting a WD Live Sling app is like promoting a Blackberry or Palm app. The issue here is Dish is not "modern" because they don't have a Sling app that can just stream directly from the Slingbox.

I wouldn't call it flakey. My WDTV Live SMP's are newer than my Roku's and work perfectly fine with a Sling350. It's not for everyone, but anyone with a decent home network it works fine. I use one in my home office every day, instead of a having another receiver fee.

It works great for out of home if you have the internet to support it. I stream from Oklahoma to Nevada with it for several hours a day every other month when I go to the Condo to work with my West Coast clients. It looks great on a 60in LCD, but you need at least a 10MB upload and 15 to 20MB is better.

Reactions: Tampa8
The WD app works great. No problems at all I don't know what you are talking about. The Slingbox works, never a problem and you can watch any content anywhere.
How does most other cable companies I mentioned do it, it's not with a Roku app.

When I said move the receiver I did not write that clearly. I meant to a second home as an example.

So a quick poll. If dish had a pay roku app, that was $7 per month to use, but it had to be on the same network(aka a virtual Joey) would you pay to use it?
No way. Just like the Playstation app, if it is the same price as a Joey, then I am using a Joey.

How about using something like the HP Stream Mini Desktop, it isn't much bigger than a roku and you could run DishAnywhere and any streaming services that run in a browser as well.

How about using something like the HP Stream Mini Desktop, it isn't much bigger than a roku and you could run DishAnywhere and any streaming services that run in a browser as well.

Sure, there are all sorts of solutions if money is no object. Including buying additional $200 clients per TV just so people can watch Dish. I don't consider that reasonable, given the immense popularity of the Roku platform. There are channels for everything else on Roku... but not Dish Anywhere. Dish's noted and intentional shunning of that platform is not something that will encourage me to shell out many hundreds of additional dollars per TV to rectify. They can either modernize or lose more customers.

Sure, there are all sorts of solutions if money is no object. Including buying additional $200 clients per TV just so people can watch Dish. I don't consider that reasonable, given the immense popularity of the Roku platform. There are channels for everything else on Roku... but not Dish Anywhere. Dish's noted and intentional shunning of that platform is not something that will encourage me to shell out many hundreds of additional dollars per TV to rectify. They can either modernize or lose more customers.

Last time I tried I could only stream to 1 device at a time with Dish Anywhere. So only one of your multiple Rokus would be able to watch at a time anyway.

One can use a Slingbox and their mobile device to Sling the content to a Roku. PROBLEM SOLVED!

sremick sounds like he would be happier at DirecTV or a cable company with their equipment and options or with a TiVo for digital cable. DirecTV does not give a way their RVU client tech for HDTV's, either. DirecTV still wants its monthly additional screen fee and it has no plans of dropping it either.

Dish does offer the Virtual Joey on certain HDTV's, but one has to PAY to be on Roku. So, with sremick's desires, Dish would have to PAY Roku, and then LOSE the revenue of the Joey or Virtual Joey would provide. That's called a band business model. Dish, does offer SlingTV for those who just LOVE their Roku's--too much?

Reactions: Tampa8 and ChadT41

Once again you refuse to answer. How many Cable or Satellite providers and who are they that have an app on Roku that allows you to watch any channel directly from your account? I know TWC does, though at the cost of a much higher monthly bill than with DISH, and equipment nowhere near as nice. And like DISH I believe only one sign in is allowed at least judging from posts. (No first hand knowledge on that) Any others??
Also, when comparing from time to time I also notice from reading complaints some of the Cable providers do not have as many services allowed as DISH does such as channels like HBOGO, Showtime, etc...that are available on Roku and many other options.

Reactions: ChadT41
Also, when comparing from time to time I also notice from reading complaints some of the Cable providers do not have as many services allowed as DISH does such as channels like HBOGO, Showtime, etc...that are available on Roku and many other options.

Dish subscribers can't access a few apps on the Roku also, like FX Now, Nat Geo, Nick and Comedy Central ( they can get the free stuff like everyone else ) also they cannot get Fox Sports Go on the Amazon Fire.

Ok. I didn't say you can get them all and I didn't say on the Roku. I said compared to some other services judging from complaints DISH has more available. I would rather have more available if some on the Roku and some using a mobile device. I have a Roku (And Fire Stick) in the end I often just send what I want from my tablet to my TV. For watching live the Slingbox does it all. Now with the Fire Stick I use that app on that as well as the WD Live box.

Reactions: ChadT41
Ok. I didn't say you can get them all and I didn't say on the Roku. I said compared to some other services judging from complaints DISH has more available. I would rather have more available if some on the Roku and some using a mobile device. I have a Roku (And Fire Stick) in the end I often just send what I want from my tablet to my TV. For watching live the Slingbox does it all. Now with the Fire Stick I use that app on that as well as the WD Live box.
i was looking through some of the FB messages and the cable companies have gotten the same complaint. "Why isn't your equipment as good as satellite". I laugh every time I see that. I will likely never go back to cable as there is just so much more offered by both DTV and Dish.

Reactions: Tampa8
Where did the concept of because it could be, it should be...as long as it does not cost ME anything, come from?

Who said we want it for free? Make it a $5-10 Roku app. What I'm complaining about is there's NO Roku app. I don't want to be dependent on a middleman Android device, nor do I want to spend $200+ per TV to add a computer (when every TV already has a Roku).

Stop demonizing the people who disagree with you by twisting what they are saying. You don't make a convincing argument by lying.

Stop demanding DISH provide free service then make it sound like they are cheating you, that best I can tell only one company (who charges much more monthly than DISH) does. Then KAB will stop posting what most of us are saying to you.

Reactions: KAB and ChadT41
The questions were asked and answered. Dish has to pay a fee to have access to that. Dish also makes revenue off additional tvs. So giving up that revenue would be stupid when they know they can charge for it, and customers are not willing(in masses) to pay a monthly fee for the access, the same as a VJ. There is zero benefit to Dish to offer that, in comparison to just offering slingTV to you if you really wanna go that route. Either way, Dish wants their money for a service they provide and must pay for themselves. Just like you want a service provided that you pay for. It is not really something to get angry about them not offering, as they never once said "let's offer it". They were clear from the get go, but 99% of the time that is not good enough when a customer thinks it is that simple, and that they are always right... That's just what businesses tell customers to make them feel better. It ain't true. They can go elsewhere but when they are missing product or getting the same treatment, it's likely they will see the light at that point and take the current innovations and be happy about that.

Who said we want it for free? Make it a $5-10 Roku app. What I'm complaining about is there's NO Roku app. I don't want to be dependent on a middleman Android device, nor do I want to spend $200+ per TV to add a computer (when every TV already has a Roku).

Stop demonizing the people who disagree with you by twisting what they are saying. You don't make a convincing argument by lying.

If you have a spare HDMI port....look into a Android TV stick....Many are under $50....just a thought....I now use a dual boot android/windows box on all my TV's.....Talk about a smart TV....The $100, and worth every penny

If more of the TV Everywhere channels would just put up their apps on the Rokus/Apple TV/Fire/etc most customers could get rid of their other boxes.

There is no reason that Channels like TNT, TBS, Discovery, etc, etc should not have apps up, they all do for IPads/ IPhones/iPod Toches/Android devices, why not the Roku type boxes.

But then the problem will be if you can log in with your cable/ Sat. providers.

Reactions: sremick
What if by putting it up on ROKU, the providers felt like they were devaluing the channel, so then more contract disputes happen, because nobody will want to pay as much as being demanded. With OTT, it's already a balancing act between the two parties.

What if by putting it up on ROKU, the providers felt like they were devaluing the channel, so then more contract disputes happen, because nobody will want to pay as much as being demanded. With OTT, it's already a balancing act between the two parties.

From what I have read, TV Everywhere Channels like FX Now for example, love the apps because they can go to advertisers and say Forced Commercials, no more fast forwarding thru them, lot of potential money there with those apps in the future.

I have read that Hulu earns $7 a month per subscriber in ad revenue alone ( plus the $7.99 in sub. fees), with Cable/Sat. subscribers dropping slowly and no growth, the channels have to start looking for new revenue and these apps are a good idea.

Edit- Just looked it up, Hulu now has 9 million subscribers, so that is $63 million a month, $756 million a year, not chump change.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)