DISH Anywhere app on Amazon Fire TV help needed

Almighty1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
San Francisco, California USA
Greetings everyone:

I have a DISH Hopper 3 on a LG 65" OLED 4K TV. I just got a Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K a few days ago and could use some help from people who are more experienced with the Fire TV products in general. So I will post my two questions below:

1) If I set the Fire TV Stick 4K to 2160p 60Hz for the display resolution that is supported on tv #1, what would happen if I took that same FireTV stick to another TV #2 which does not support 2160p 60Hz but only 1080p. Would the Fire TV show any picture at all or do I have to take it back to TV #1 to change it to a display resolution that TV #2 can handle?

2) With the Hopper 3, when viewing a picture, one can change the picture to stretch, zoom, normal so that the original picture will be adjusted to fill the screen. With the Fire TV Stick 4K and the DISH Anywhere app, I have noticed that the non-widescreen videos would be full screen in height from top to bottom but when it comes to width, the picture does not make it to the left and right sides of the screen. Is there a way to stretch the width of the video so it's as wide as the tv? I have tried adjusting the Aspect Ratios on the tv but it doesn't really change it much. Or is there a utility to stretch the video?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Greetings everyone:

I have a DISH Hopper 3 on a LG 65" OLED 4K TV.

1) If I set the Fire TV Stick 4K to 2160p 60Hz for the display resolution that is supported on tv #1, what would happen if I took that same FireTV stick to another TV #2 which does not support 2160p 60Hz but only 1080p. Would the Fire TV show any picture at all or do I have to take it back to TV #1 to change it to a display resolution that TV #2 can handle?

2) With the Hopper 3, when viewing a picture, one can change the picture to stretch, zoom, normal so that the original picture will be adjusted to fill the screen. With the Fire TV Stick 4K and the DISH Anywhere app, I have noticed that the non-widescreen videos would be full screen in height from top to bottom but when it comes to width, the picture does not make it to the left and right sides of the screen. Is there a way to stretch the width of the video so it's as wide as the tv? I have tried adjusting the Aspect Ratios on the tv but it doesn't really change it much. Or is there a utility to stretch the video?

Thanks for any help in advance!
Well. Here's my opinion.

I own an LG OLED as well and the main reason I got it is how black it can go. Maybe I'm a purest, but I think stretching picture just to fill a larger screen is a travesty. I can't stand to see short, fat faces when I know human beings don't look like that. On lousy TVs that can mean a ghostly gray on the sides during a 4x3 presentation, but with OLED you have a true black on either side so what you see is a perfect 4x3 picture. With lights off, you wouldn't know that the TV is actually a widescreen. Just a large "old-fashioned" one.

When you go and try to fiddle with TV aspect ratios on both the TV and the source, it easy to get it wrong and out of whack and so you may watch hours of less than correct picture. Not worth it with the TV you have. Set the LG to "Just" and never touch it again.

A good thing do is get a Blu Ray calibration disc (Disney's WOW, is the one I have ) and set two memory settings on the LG. One that is perfect for late night viewing and one that is slightly pumped up (Backlight, Contrast etc) for daytime viewing. You have bought the world's best TV. Let it do it's thing.

As to the Fire Stick. Get a second one. I think they are closing out the non 4K for $19.99. To save the plugging and unplugging (including power adapter, don't forget) and having to reset parameters in menus is not worth saving 20 bucks.

"With the Hopper 3, when viewing a picture, one can change the picture to stretch, zoom, normal so that the original picture will be adjusted to fill the screen"

As I mentioned about the TV's aspect ratio in the post above, the same thing applies to the Hopper. Set it at 4K 16:9 and never touch it again. Watch the picture that the director wanted you to see.

Reactions: HipKat and KAB
Thanks eddie for your reply. I do have a second Fire Stick TV 4K. I was asking the question because I really won't use the Fire Stick TV 4K much currently as I am setting it up so I can take it with me when traveling next month and using it at the various hotels so the wear and tear won't be on my tv anyways as I have the Fire Stick TV 4K actually on a HDMI switch currently so there is no wear and tear on the tv, not to mention I will only plug and unplug it a few times per year at the most. My TV is on Just Ratio except when you have a 65" tv and the screen looks like a 40". I may have bought the world's best tv but my tv has this line at the top and bottom of the picture that LG Service claims does not exist. So is there actually a way to change the aspect ratio from the source as some videos actually look better zoomed up. Basically, let's not go into the reasons why it should be kept original as I already know why but we are watching old chinese hong kong tv serieses from the 1980s-2000s which is way poorer quality when it's smaller in size compared to the western production and my mom would prefer to have the images full size at almost 90 years old and when we travel, the screen obviously will not be anywhere close to 65". So for the first question, there really wasn't a answer as last thing I want is I set the Fire TV Stick to 2160 60Hz and I forgot to change the settings back to Auto up to 4K and I am on vacation somewhere and plug the Fire TV Stick and it doesn't work because the Fire TV Stick has the resolution set up as 2160 60Hz which means that I cannot watch anything on the DVR while it keeps filling up as unless I watch, the HDD will be full and there is no way I can move it to external HDD's remotely like I can do now. While for the second question is, you are talking about western made tv series which wouldn't have a problem on a smaller screen so without talking about the quality of the picture, is there even a way to zoom or stretch the video from the Amazon Fire TV stick using a app if it's not built in.

Last edited:
I don't want to mess with the second FireTV 4K stick until I get the first one setup correctly and then will use the 1st one as reference since while installing apps is easy, there are some apps like RSS Players that is a pain in the butt to type in all the different RSS sources using the remote. Normally I always buy two identical devices (ChromeCast Ultra) so that one is kept for traveling while the other is on the TV except the ChromeCast Ultra does not have any apps on itself and I don't want to be using my phone to cast to the stick so with the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, I can get what I want on one of them first and should I not have time to completely get the first one setup and/or setup the 2nd one, I can just use the first one in the meantime. That was the reason for my first question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts